MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Can't stop leaving 10's...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:12 pm 

The last 2 weeks have been extremely frustrating. I've been leaving 4-5 ten pins a game. I'm makiing the spares, except when I've mentally left the building in the mid-3rd game due to the frustration. I've been trying to make 1 or 2 board moves right or left with my feet and changing my hand position to slightly alter my entry angle. I'll carry one or 2 shots, then here comes the 10 pins again. I would say about 75% are ringing 10's.

What are some of the techniques you guys use?

Post subject: Re: Can't stop leaving 10's...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:13 am 

Pay attention to the 'wiggle' at the far end of the pattern.

Surface is everything. Too shiny, and she'll wiggle too much, causing too much deflection, or not achieving proper entry angle. Too dull, she'll burn up too soon, and have nothing left for the pins (again, either deflection, or improper angle).

Try different under surfaces on polished balls, ie. 1000 grit under the polish, or 2000 grit under polish, instead of the all-too-common 1500 grit polish. Just experiment with one ball to see if you can divine the difference in response at the breakpoint, therefore (hopefully) positively affecting your carry percentage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:16 am 

Monday night I was bowling with my Primal impulse and playing around 35 feet, 15 eyes, 7 breakpoint and that game I left 6 10 pins. 10th frame fill ball I changed to 33 feet, 10 eyes, 7 breakpoint, and throwing it a tad harder, and left one 10 pin between 2nd and 3rd game. Sometimes it's more drastic moves that help the carry, the subtle ones aren't enough sometimes!

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:04 am 

I've been using my new Sigma Tour, these are the only 2 league nights on it. The first week was at the box 2000 wet sand, the 2nd week I took it to 1000 wet sand. The only difference I noticed was the ball covered about 5 more boards. I've played with my feet around 25 to start using the 5 board as my break point. I look just past the foul line at my release, very much like Wes Malott or Liz Johnson. I think I'll give it coat of PGP before heading out tonight and start out playing a little straighter and see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:23 am 

Jaydubbayu wrote:
Monday night I was bowling with my Primal impulse and playing around 35 feet, 15 eyes, 7 breakpoint and that game I left 6 10 pins. 10th frame fill ball I changed to 33 feet, 10 eyes, 7 breakpoint, and throwing it a tad harder, and left one 10 pin between 2nd and 3rd game. Sometimes it's more drastic moves that help the carry, the subtle ones aren't enough sometimes!

correction: 25 feet, then adjusted to 22... I was 10 boards off on the numbers! ;) Probably won't make a difference to you!

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:34 pm 

Watch the ball as it goes through the pins and where it goes off the back of the pin deck. this will tell you a lot! You idealy want the ball to finish between the 8-9. If you are striking but the ball is finishing off the deck around the 9 or 9-10 OR 7-8 or 8 you are most likely going to be looking at a nice corner pin in the near future. By watching where the ball finishes, you can make the moves BEFORE you leave the corner so you can continue striking.

I hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:59 pm 

joshs wrote:
Watch the ball as it goes through the pins and where it goes off the back of the pin deck. this will tell you a lot! You idealy want the ball to finish between the 8-9. If you are striking but the ball is finishing off the deck around the 9 or 9-10 OR 7-8 or 8 you are most likely going to be looking at a nice corner pin in the near future. By watching where the ball finishes, you can make the moves BEFORE you leave the corner so you can continue striking.

I hope this helps

I'll take this advice into consideration. I'm a self taught bowler, never had lessons or anything, just a leisure/league bowler so I never really cared to look much into it. But last night was the last straw with 10 pins, I left 5 consecutive 10 pins, 7 total out of 11 balls in one game last night with the SR2. I have read to step back 6" during your approach, but that didn't do a damn thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:36 pm 

Whenever corner pins have become a problem in my game Ive found the forward or backward movements to be the most helpful, 7 pins mean move up and 10s mean move back. Ive actually found myself chanting it from time to time," 7 up 10 back" haha.

Cruel C51 LE- 247/663

QZ2 Backdraft

Primal Impulse-300/735- 2nd career 300 03/08/12

Monster Bruiser-1st ever 300 03/24/11-668

Black Ice-(Black) (sb)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 pm 

I always instruct my girls to make a 1/2 to full board move right and throw the same ball...normally the slightly higher finish in the pocket will at worse result in a 4 pin leave but most often will carry and can be used to stay ahead of the 10 pin leave.

just my 2 Lincolns

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]