MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:42 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Warranty Question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:18 pm 

I have quite a few Motiv balls that I have bought within the past 4 months or so. I am curious about warranty on balls. The pro shop I deal with has informed me recently that they don't cover balls if they have finger inserts in them or if a ball has been plugged from lane damage or things of that nature.

From the info on Motiv's site it appears to be clear in my interpertation that they won't warranty a ball if damage has been caused DUE to installing grips or damaged caused DUE to plugging the ball. Maybe I misunderstood what I was reading so I thought I'd ask.

Thus leading to my final question. I have a ball that is about 4 months old and it is starting to fracture. It has a hairline crack almost all the way around the hold for the middle finger. I know it is going to get worse and eventually pop, however my pro shop is telling me they won't cover it because I had a knick on the ball repaired that is 4+ inches away from the issue I am asking about.

They are saying their distributor won't cover it because Motiv will bounce it back and say no coverage due to inserts in the fingers and the small plug for the knick on the ball that was repaired. Is this the case? What are folks suggestions? I can get some pictures of the ball if need be, I'd just hate to send it in to Motiv pay shipping etc and get no where with it. Thanks for the input.

I hope that the pro shop is wrong because I have close to 1500 tied up in all the new Motiv gear that I have aquired. All my other Motiv balls are perfect so I don't know what's going on. Just kind of bummed out I suppose.

Post subject: Re: Warranty Question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:46 pm 

brettallenspangler wrote:
I don't want to speak for the big guys up in Michigan. However, I am not aware of too many warranties that aren't worded in that fashion. Motiv's warranty is pretty standard.

I'd suggest milling out the crack and plugging it before it gets worse. Just my 2 cents.

I have no clue how it is. I have had Hammer balls in the past and one similar issue with one of their balls and it was taken care of. This was a few years back. I know every company is different but I don't think a ball with 12 games on it should start to fracture like that. Just my 2 cents worth.

I figured I'd ask here and find out what other people have seen happen etc. Assuming what the pro shop told me is the case it's almost pointless to have a warranty on a bowling ball because nothing is covered. lol

I'm just not feeling too confident right now in the rest of the stuff I have. Once I start to get some games on them I hope to not see this type of thing happen to them also.

Perhaps Justin or some of the other folks on staff could chime in and let me know what to expect.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:44 pm 

brettallenspangler wrote:
Typically, these cracks come from mistakes made by the pro shop. If the top of the hole is not sanded adequately or if the hole is drilled to quickly there can be damage done to the area around the hole. It's an honest mistake that happens to everybody. Also, higher track bowlers run into this simply because of the track making contact with the hole.

I agree with this...also with the warranty....

I would say the easiest thing to do from the sounds of it is to mill out that area around the finger...plug and re drill it..

just my Image

Pro Consultant for NKU Bowling Club
GET MOTIVATED

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:32 pm 

The cracks are due to any combination of a few factors.

Lack of piloting.
Lack of bevel.
Improper drill press RPM.(600RPM is ideal for carbide bits/end mills in bowling balls)
Dull drill bits.
Drilling too fast.
Cyanoacrylate glue.

Dull drill bits and drilling too fast build up excess heat and stress the urethane matrix and plasticizers. This in turn makes that region of the cover brittle, leading to cracking. This can be minimized by using a 3 or 4 size smaller bit, then running your final size. This makes the holes true and significantly less tapered.

Cyanoacrylate glues, because they are solvent based, also break down the resin and make it brittle by chemical means.

You don't have to "bevel" the hole extremely, but hitting the top edge with a bit of sandpaper makes all the difference in the world. This goes for the top of thumb slug holes as well. Pilot and bevel those too.

Unfortunately, this isn't a defect in the ball. I have drilled many Motiv balls and not had a single one develop a fracture near any drilled holes. I pilot, and often will use end mills to finish the holes. When gluing inserts, try to use as little glue as possible, it will spread out, a little dab will do ya.

If you get someone with dull drill bits that drills too fast and doesn't bevel while using a half a bottle of glue per insert, while we all know where that leads.

Now in regards to your situation, warranty claims are handled on a case to case basis. Never hurts to ask, the worst you can get is a no right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:15 pm 

JustinWi wrote:
The cracks are due to any combination of a few factors.

Lack of piloting.
Lack of bevel.
Improper drill press RPM.(600RPM is ideal for carbide bits/end mills in bowling balls)
Dull drill bits.
Drilling too fast.
Cyanoacrylate glue.

I do know for sure that the ball did get smaller pilot holes drilled first for the fingers and the thumb. All holes where sanded and thumb got beveled as well as sanded.

As far as the RPM on the drill I couldn't tell you but it took him a while to drill the holes becasue he went in slow increments while vaccuming out the ball cheese as I like to call it. He wasn't hanging on the drill press to get it to do it's job if you know what I mean. :)

Don't know if the bits where dull or not I didn't physically handle them or drill the ball but it appeared as if they where cutting fine.

The glue for the grips was a cyanoacrylate glue and a very minimal amount was used just to hold the grip in place.

All my other balls where drilled at the same place and have about the same amount of use on them and have not devoloped a problem. Knock on wood I hope they don't either. :)

So this is all I know from what I have seen. I'm not an expert when it comes to this stuff so perhaps the info I've provided can give you a better idea as to what is going on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 pm 

Try and take some pics and submit them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:28 pm 

I have the same problem with my 300 ball the SX1. the pin is cracked and there is a crack by the serial number the bad part is the ball is discontinued so how could i ever get it replaced? I wanna keep it since it was the first 300 ball with MOTIV but i want another 1 since it is such a great ball. Last thursday in league i was throwing my tx3 with scores of 254-274-247 for 775. i threw 27 0f 36 X's 5 spares 1 missed 10pin
Avererage is now back to 220.873

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:36 pm 

motiv2430 wrote:
I have the same problem with my 300 ball the SX1. the pin is cracked and there is a crack by the serial number the bad part is the ball is discontinued so how could i ever get it replaced? I wanna keep it since it was the first 300 ball with MOTIV but i want another 1 since it is such a great ball. Last thursday in league i was throwing my tx3 with scores of 254-274-247 for 775. i threw 27 0f 36 X's 5 spares 1 missed 10pin
Avererage is now back to 220.873

I would just buy another SX1 online somewhere. They are discounted pretty cheap since it's mostly old inventory now. Motiv could replace your ball I'm sure but they'd have to have your old one back I'm sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:02 pm 

I had the same issue with my tx1, but the pin was 1/2 inch from my ring finger. Ohh well I know what I was getting into. Had two notap wins and and it helped me cash several times in other tournys. RIP TX1..... :(

on the brite side I chipped away the outer shell and now I have a nice Thrust core on display.... ;)

Michael

RX1s 60x6x70
QZ2 1 inch pin to pap
Thrash 1 inch pin to pap
QZ2 BACKDRAFT 60x5x65
TZ3 70x5.5x30
Primal Impulse 90x3.5x55
Primal Impulse 75x5.5x40
Sigma Tour 80x5.5x40
Raptor Attack 95x5.25x30
Raptor P7 45x4.5x30 P1

More not listed!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:24 pm 

captmike02 wrote:
on the brite side I chipped away the outer shell and now I have a nice Thrust core on display.... ;)

Michael

That takes some patience, I did it to a Depth Charge a few years ago.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next