MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Looking for help and information on Motiv
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:09 pm 

This is my first post. I have been a long time Storm/Roto Grip user. I have had great success and been very satisfied with the exception of ball life. I am a 207-210 average bowler and pretty consistent from house to house. I am a tweener, 17-18mph.

I loved both the Virtual Gravity and Mutant Cell for heavier and longer conditions but both balls were dead at about 60 games. I tried Storms re-juventing oven and resurfacing along with constant cleaning and they just didnt come back. My favorite(bench mark) ball has been the Roto Grip Nomad Solid. Its a great ball but once you resurface it, its impossible to match the 1500 polished surface and now the reaction isnt the same and it feels like it lost something, but again Im about 60-70 games. My weak(short oil/Dry) ball is the Roto Grip Dark Star which is still good but I know its only a matter of time since one of my leagues is on wood and dry, so i use the ball constantly.

When I had this arsenal, Virtual or Mutant, Nomad Solid and Dark Star I felt very comfortable in most situations.

I am tired of buying two/three balls twice a year and Im looking for something that will last longer and still hit as hard. My pro shop has started carrying Motiv and my guy is very high on them which tells me a lot especially considering he was a Storm Staffer at one time.

So my questions are as follows, How does the Cruel Compare to the Virtual or Mutant?

Im guessing SR2 compares close to Nomad Solid and QZ or Recon to Dark Star???

I am wondering if anyone has compared these balls to each other?

I need to replace my Virtual and Nomad first, The Dark Star is still ok.

Any information would be great!!

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Looking for help and information on Motiv
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:01 am 

I have found that my equipment really likes to soak up oil, I clean everything with PG Clean after each trip to the lanes and Ive baked all three and had them resurfaced at my local shop, the reaction was almost identical, didnt take quite as much time to establish a fresh track into the ball but the reactions was near perfect after all was said and done.

I have never really compared the line up to Storm/Roto, but I have played on pairs where others are using the equipment and can note that a GT1 hits just as hard and turns the corner just as strong as any V Energy Ive watched someone role. I cant speak for the other balls in Storm/Roto's line up.... but I'd be willing to garuntee if you wanted to match a Motiv to your Nomad or Dark Star reaction and you know your general stats (axis/pap/tilt) forum members like DB, JoshS, and JustinWi help you fine tune the reation of say a Recon or SR2 to be near perfect.

Motiv-ate your game
(R)QZ1/GT1/SR2/SX1

Sig T soon I hope, Maybe a Raptor for X-mas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:36 am 

The Cruel will compare favorably to the Virtual Gravity, but will require a slightly weaker layout.

The SR2 would compare favorably to the Nomad for a benchmark, the GT1 would also fit.

The recon would be the best comparison for the Dark Star, the QZ2 may be more in line spec wise but the Recon will provide a great reaction on the drier stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:05 pm 

Justin thank you,

The Cruel would need a slightly weaker layout than the Virtual? That intrigues me, I always felt the Virtual was extremely strong!
That really make me want to go buy a Cruel today! My Pro Shop is telling me the Cruel is much "smoother" and not as "snappy" as the Virtual. Is this true?
I trust my guy a lot, but a month ago he recommeded the 3.5 and I hate it, we have drilled it twice and it doesnt react consistent for me at all.

The Nomad is a great ball and from what Im hearing so is the the SR2, so if it reacts as consistent as that you also have a winner.

The Dark Star is a bit stronger than it was advertised to be, it jumps off the dry quickly and aggressively, Is the Recon a bit smoother or skid/flip?

So if I had to choose between Cruel or SR2 now, which would it be? My second league has a healthy house shot, with a good amount of head oil and pretty relaxed backend. Since my Virtual died I cant play outside of 12 or the balls wont make the turn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:23 am 

They are correct in that I feel you will find Motiv balls last longer then most balls on the market today, especially w/proper care. I have a customer that still throws one of the first TX1's in PA. & he has 'baked' it at least twice (not to mention basic cleaning) & that ball still reacts great on the THS. As for the VG vs Cruel, obviously I vote for the Cruel! Although it is poplular, I never liked the reaction & overall look the VG gave bowlers so I never got one. Be careful on your drilling angles w/Cruel. Don't drill it overly aggressive or it will burn up too much energy early & not react very well. I did this then Justin recommended I take it down to 500 grit & it really reacted better on the b/e. If you provide us w/your PAP, ball speed, tilt, etc. along w/what type of lane conditions your looking to use it on, we can assist you w/a layout. Best of luck & welcome to Motiv-nation!

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]