MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:16 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Please Help. Looking for layout ideas on Recon RX1.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:45 pm 

I'm new to Motiv equipment and I've become a huge fan. I picked up an SX1 about a month ago and it's become my favorite dry lane ball. I have the pin about a 1/2 inch above the fingers directly above the center grip and the CG kicked out slightly directly below the ring finger; no weight hole needed. The length is great and the roll is impressive especially when the track area is burned and there's a bit of carrydown. It'll hit whereas all my other dry lane balls will leave me that flat 10. However lately the SX1 is too much ball for the league shots I'm encountering so I picked up a Recon and was looking to the MotivNation for a helping hand.

I'm a right hander, my ball speed is 15-16 mph, rev rate around 300 rpm, my axis is 4 & 3/8 over and 1/8 up. Here's the puzzle I need solved. I bowl on conditions where there is VERY LITTLE push through the front. With my low rev rate, I'm starting the night laying it down between 25 and 30 crossing arrows around 20-21 and targeting around 13-14 at the break point (10 and out is 3-count OB death). By game 2 I'm sliding in the left gutter. =(

The mid lane has a very strong reaction; if the ball rolls before 40 feet it will hook a TON. On normal conditions where the midlane is hooking I just increase the speed, loft, or side rotation to get the ball downlane however on these lanes there is either no backend or very spotty backend so delaying the hook most times gets me in MORE trouble. The mechanics at the house hardly ever strip the lanes and when they do it's a half-ass job at best. If the ball goes more than 40 feet before it makes its move then you don't know what it'll do. You might hit a dry spot and it'll hook; you might hit a carried down spot and it'll keep skidding. It's absolutely unreadable. This is a league where the high scratch average last season was 189 and if you bowl 2-teen you have a GOOD CHANCE to win the high scratch game jackpot.

There's my predicament. From what I've seen in ball reaction videos and what I've read, I'm hopeful my RX1 is a big part of the solution. Do any layouts come to mind that will help me tackle these lanes? Thanks your help everyone! - JB

Post subject: Re: Please Help. Looking for layout ideas on Recon RX1.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:47 am 

You have a couple of options. If you drill the Recon the same as the SX1 you can expect a few boards less overall with a similar look.

Personally, I would place the pin below the middle finger, and the CG slightly out(I can provide a dual angle measurement if you need) to prepare for a possible weighthole. Throw it and see what happens. You should see it glide through the fronts, read the mids nicely, and set up to pull through the carrydown. This will be a smooth rolling ball that isn't going to open the lanes up enormously, but you may be able to play further right and utilize the hold.

If it checks too early in the fronts, a P1 hole. If it misses the spot on the carrydown, a P3 hole. You most likely will not require a hole, so if it rolls right leave it alone, but you can add one to fine tune the reaction.

Post subject: Re: Please Help. Looking for layout ideas on Recon RX1.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 pm 

@JustinWi, thank you for the advice. I'll definitely take you up on the offer for the dual angle measurement. I need all the help I can get. =) About how far out should the CG be kicked?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]