MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: TX1 vs RX1 vs QZ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:39 am 

I need something to fit under my TX1. The logical choice looks like the RX1. So I know what I'm looking at, can anyone give me a quick comparison of these two balls? How much less is the RX1?

I have a Hammer Purple Vibe that I use in that spot now. I really like that ball a lot, but its a 16LB ball and I've switched to 15 now. I'm guessing that a QZ2 would be more ball than the Vibe, correct?

Anyway. Some advice?....

Post subject: Re: TX1 vs RX1 vs QZ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:35 pm 

The Rx1 is less overall than the Tx1. It has the same cover, just a different core. The Rx1 gets down the lane much easier than the Tx1. But the Rx1 would be a great addition if you are looking for somthing to go under your Tx1. When the Tx1 starts reading the lanes too early, the Rx1 will give you the needed length. Hope that helps, i've got a video of my Rx1's up and one of them has a Tx1 in it for comparision if you want a visial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlQjwFRQzbc

the Tx1 is a pin in palm layout and the Rx1's are a 5 7/8 pin and 4 pin. So they are all punched up differently, but hopefully it'll help. I've got a Tx1 with a 4 pin that out hooks the pin in palm one. With similar layouts they are probably around 5 boards with my feet different.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:03 am 

OK. So I can expect the RX1 to get more length than the TX1, but I'm confused by the last statement. Are you saying that the RX1 is 5 boards less than the TX1 or that your two TX1s are 5 boards different from each other?

I was forced down to the Purple Vibe again the other night and had some issues with it reading too early at times. The unpredictable early read delivered me a greek church in the 10th frame of game three which I didn't really care for. Sounds like the RX1 shouldn't have that type of issue; that the cover prep should get it down the lane and the solid cover should keep it smoother, correct?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:13 pm 

Oldscratch, since the SX1, TX1, and RX1 all have the same cover, the only difference is the core. And the core/cover combo of the Recon gets it down the lane much easier than the other two and produces an overall weaker reaction. The Recon sounds like a great solution to what you're seeing.

On the THS i can play similarly drilled Recons and TX1's roughly 6 boards different with my feet, and the Sx1 between the two. Sorry about the confusion. The QZ balls, depending on how you punch them up are going to be stronger than what you're looking for. You won't be disapointed in the Recon. In one of the leauges I bowl, which is on a very dry shot, the Recon gets down the lane with no problems when everything else in my bag wants to check up too early.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:49 am 

Thanks Josh.
I just wanted to be sure I understood. The Recon sounded like the right choice all along, but I'm going to be getting it from a shop that doesn't know Motiv so I wanted to go in with a little more information. I'm going to go order the ball today.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:53 am 

outstanding, i think you'll be very happy with the Recon! Are you going to get it punched up similar to your TX1 or are you going with a different layout?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:02 pm 

joshs wrote:
Are you going to get it punched up similar to your TX1 or are you going with a different layout?

That's the million dollar question... Going with a similar layout to fit it under the TX1 makes a lot of sense to me. On the other hand, my TX1 is set up to be early (the way I understand it) and I don't want early out of the RX1. I want it to get length, but not so much that it gets out of its comfort zone. I'm still doing some soul searching on this. Pin down layouts have been good to me, but my TX1 is seriously pin down.

So I ordered the RX1 and not 30 minutes later I see news of a pearl version. Now I get to wonder about that one and whether or not that one would have been better for me. I need the RX1 right away, though. Maybe the new one goes on the Christmas list...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:47 am 

So you ordered the Rx1 and got news of a pearl version... of the qz? The qz2 that's coming out? Is that the ball you're talking about? I'm pretty sure it is. Anywho..

If you drill the Rx1 pin up, drilled 5" or so from PAP that will be a good ball with good length and backend reaction.

The qz2 could be between them, with a similar drilling to your tx1 the ball will react less than the tx1, but more than the rx1.

Although, I've heard reports of the Rx1 being more aggressive than expected with box finish. So hit it with some shine. In my opinion, it ends up like this, from least to most hook:

Rx1, shine, pin up
qz2, box (shiny) pin down
Tx1, pin down, already drilled

That's not a bad Motiv trio, really!
Keep in mind that I'm not a driller, I'm just going off of my experiences and what I've heard/read about these balls.

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:50 am 

Jaydubbayu wrote:
So you ordered the Rx1 and got news of a pearl version... of the qz? The qz2 that's coming out? Is that the ball you're talking about? I'm pretty sure it is. Anywho..

If you drill the Rx1 pin up, drilled 5" or so from PAP that will be a good ball with good length and backend reaction.

The qz2 could be between them, with a similar drilling to your tx1 the ball will react less than the tx1, but more than the rx1.

Although, I've heard reports of the Rx1 being more aggressive than expected with box finish. So hit it with some shine. In my opinion, it ends up like this, from least to most hook:

Rx1, shine, pin up
qz2, box (shiny) pin down
Tx1, pin down, already drilled

That's not a bad Motiv trio, really!
Keep in mind that I'm not a driller, I'm just going off of my experiences and what I've heard/read about these balls.

I knew about the QZ2. I was referring to the new silver/black RX1 which is alleged to be a pearl.

After I get the RX1 I think I'll be in pretty good shape. That will give me:
TR2, pin up, 1000 abralon
GT1, pin down, box
TX1, pin way down, box
RX1, (thinking pin up, but still thinking)

TR2 is a bonafide oiler, and the only ball I've ever had that I could score with on Shark. GT1 is great on mediums and heavy medium. TX1 for medium to light. RX1 when the TX1 is too much or too early, which is looking like its going to be quite often with the conditions I've been seeing lately.

Any opinions on my collection so far?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:46 am 

That looks like a pretty solid 4 ball line-up. When you do punch up the Recon, leave it in box surface to start and see what you think. It will still be less than your TX1. In box condition it gets pretty good length, so try that first, you may not need to hit it with any polish.
And yes, there is a Recon Pearl coming out. Silver pearl w/ black logo.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next