MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:58 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: TX1 vs RX1 vs QZ
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:55 am 

Sorry about that guys, I hadn't seen the posts about the recon pearl yet when I replied to this posting. But your lineup looks good, pin up that recon, in my opinion. BUT, most of my equipment is pin-up. I'm me, you're you! Good luck!

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:06 am 

My RX1 arrived yesterday and I got it drilled before league last night. Good thing, too. The conditions were... awful, but that's another story.

I used it for games 2 and 3 and it salvaged what I thought was certainly going to be a lost night. I'm supremely glad that I opted for a pin up drilling. This is more ball than I thought it was going to be, but still in the right strength range. That said, I can see the desire that some folks have for something under this ball. I can see why some might need the forthcoming Recon Pearl or want to high polish or weak-drill the Recon.

I think we got the length right and I'm going to keep it in box finish for the foreseeable future. The control is the best part about the ball. It tamed some really weird conditions last night. I shot a 204 and a 221 with it. That doesn't sound too impressive, but I was looking at probably 170s without the RX1. Count me as a happy customer. I got the control I was looking for.

Thanks to those who offered input and advice.

By the way, the shop I had it drilled at doesn't offer Motiv. After seeing the RX1 they're thinking about bringing at least that ball in. They were very impressed with the looks and the neomarks. The comment was "I can SELL a ball that looks like that." So... Looks are important, I guess. Anyway, I told them what its for and what its designed to do. They agreed that everyone needs a ball for the conditions the RX1 covers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:55 pm 

Nice story Oldscratch. I know that my closest bowling buddies are moving to motiv. They have seen what it does for me and love the looks/preformance of the equipment. I'm hoping that as they get the gear it'll spread a little more in my house.

Gt1 - 1-300 1-289 1-287 1-280 5-279
Rx1(Orange)
Sr2 - 1-290 1-279
Tv4 added!50x45@4.75" - 1-289 2-279
Venom Toxin MOtion hole 1-276 1-300(p)
4 - 300's 1 practice
high series 791-796-785-824

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:33 pm 

I think my transition to Motiv from Storm/Roto was complicated by the fact I have a brain and two eyes, and most of the time, they don't seem to be connected when I bowl.
The RX1 was the ball I had the most difficult time understanding, until my teammate revealed to me the one reality of my game that I was missing:
I needed to stop throwing the Motiv pieces like they were skid/snap. I was in the habit of throwing a straight line dart to my breakpoint, and couldn't understand why the Motiv stuff didn't finish or went thru the breakpoint so much. He told me "loop it a little more; let the ball read the friction earlier- it'll get there!" Lo and behold- Bingo!
Now my RX1 holds a vaunted place in my bag- that third game or out-of-town house that just has too much friction for anything else.
And now that I understand the shot shape, I appreciate how strong the ball truly is!
Now's when it gets fun...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:24 am 

plamormick wrote:
I think my transition to Motiv from Storm/Roto was complicated by the fact I have a brain and two eyes, and most of the time, they don't seem to be connected when I bowl.

That's funny right there. I can relate. In my case, it's a serious case of I-know-that-shot-isn't-working-but-I-can-make-it-work syndrome. I usually have to go back to the table and take a few No-you-can't-either pills to get past that. Trouble is they take a few too many frames to kick in, especially during acute flare-ups. Instead, I'm trying to get my teammates to whack me in the head with a bowling ball when it happens. That'd be quicker and less painful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:09 am 

The true test for me will be whether or not I can produce a good first game reaction, when the lanes are tight. Once there is a stripe of friction, the Motiv stuff gives me an awesome look.

I was bowling a travel league this past weekend, and by the middle of game 2, you could look at the arrows and see that the oil had been peeled off of the lane from 17 to 5. I grabbed the RX1 and was able to loop the ball 19 at the arrows to 7 at the breakpoint. Wow, that ball was very strong. In fact, even throwing that line, lane 5 kicked my a$$- 8 pin, fast eight and ring ten back-to-back-to-back on that lane.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a ball with a strong reaction for game one. Anyone have any suggestions of ball/layout combos?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:49 am 

My starting ball on THS is usually my Sr2, drilled 70x4.5"x50, pin up. I can use that ball all night long. But, I do get a better reaction out of it during the 2nd and 3rd games, similarly that you said happens with your Rx1. Your shot sounds dry, or you're a serious cranker, playing 19 to 7 with a rx1. But anyways, I really like my Sr2 and that's my benchmark ball 100%.

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2