MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Going to Nationals *Help!*
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 pm 

Just looking for suggestions/ideas on what to expect at the Nationals this year as far as, what to expect from the lane conditions for singles, doubles (bowling 8:30am shift, and teams event 11:30pm shift).

I have had a chance to practice at a local center and thus far seemed to get a better ball reaction playing standing around 30, and throwing at 15 with a breakpoint at 8. The best reaction was with a GT1 (OOB finish), starting with my hand at 5-6 and wheeling to 3 O'Clock (shot 245). Next game, I tried the Cruel LE (5 frames) from the same playing area but it reacted a little too strong, so moved to 35-18-8 and started hitting the pocket. The rest of the 2nd game finished with the Backdraft and had good reaction, but had to move back to 30 with less speed, but more of a cupped hand postion.

The previous practice session on the National pattern, I tried to play a more direct line (i.e. uncupped wrist, standing on 20 and targeting 8-10 the ball reaction was inconsistent). Oddly enough, this is my favorite area to play on most THS.

My current equipment is listed below in the signature block and I was thinking about buying one of new line of Motv balls for the Nationals, but still undecided on which one. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated, wether it's regarding cover finish or new ball option or both.

Note: My bowling style is somewhere between a tweener and stroker, depending on the angle I'm playing and I don't wear any wrist device (I modify my hand position to play different angles). Current avg is 219 and in the past had more success playing on oily to medium condition compared to dry conditions. My safety zone is standing anywhere from 10-30 and playing 1st to 4th arrow depending on the pattern. Ball speed 15-17 mph.

Style: Stroker

Post subject: Re: Going to Nationals *Help!*
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:19 pm 

With the teams event you want to play straight and keep your breakpoint about the 8 board because there's nearly no room for error if you miss it right or left. The way the lanes break down is depending on where everyone else is playing on your lanes. If everyone else is throwing it all over the place, then it's going to be a rough day by the middle of the 2nd game. I used my GT1 and dulled it at 1500 grit and got a good reaction from it since the backends are super clean. It didn't over react that much if it went brooklyn and lucky for me, I'm not a big swinger so playing it pretty straight wasn't hard so long as I didn't throw it too fast.

In doubles/singles it'll depend on whether you're bowling on fresh oil or after a previous shift. I bowled in the 7:00am shift when when the next set of bowlers came out, the lanes were already pretty dry and difficult to play. Basically, I don't think they'll have the lanes oiled up for you if there's a 7:00am shift before you. But if it is on the drier side when you start, I had a very nice read with the QZ2 Backdraft when I had to move in near the end of singles. I had my Backdraft at 2000 grit polished and though I threw it from 18 to 8 at breakpoint I still kept my speed consistent despite a few splits and missing some spares.

My overall experience was fun and this was a first time thing for me. It wasn't as bad as what I've heard as long as you don't get too serious about your mistakes. But I would suggest making sure your slides on your shoes are well maintained because the approaches there are very, VERY tacky. I nearly fell just on the start of practice because the approach and many other bowlers were the same way.

-The Arsenal-
505T, Sigma Hybrid, GT1, QZ2 Backdraft, 505C, RX1 Recon Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:37 pm 

One thing you have to worry about when you practice at your home center is it takes a while for the shot to truly develop and become the "nationals" shot. If you lay out the typical league shot over and over then one day put out a sport shot, it won't really behave like the sport shot. It may take a few consecutive sport shot oilings to develop the true sport shot. This may be why you are able to play a more typical line in the track area on the shot you bowled on.

What you should do is be prepared to attack the shot in the area where success has been had so far. This has been a more direct shot around 5-8. If you get there and the shot you had succes with at home is available, great. But be open to the idea of moving further right and playing straighter with something a little weaker.

If it were me (I have not nor will not go this year) I would think something like a Thrash or Sigma Tour would be a starting point. I would dodge pearl equipment on the fresh unless your group is successful breaking the shot down. As the shot breaks down, I would ball down before I moved inside of 10.

As for the minors, be open to anything since you are at the mercy of who bowled ahead of you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:34 am 

One of the best ways to prepare to go to Nat'ls is to read the blogs by Jeff Richgel. His team has won a few Eagles & bowl as a team as good as any out there. If fact, there is a video of them bowling at Baton Rouge on the bowl.com site. When you get there it is always wise to get to the conv. ctr. right away & watch other teams bowl. Try to find bowlers that seem to throw it like you do & watch what line they throw, speed, entry angle(s), etc. Also, visit the ball booths there & see what they say has been working well for the shot out there, however, take what some of them say w/a grain of salt 'cause they would only tell which of their balls works well. Finally, if you can, bowl on the practice lanes they have set up there, bowl the BJ and/or the BTM. The shots there are very, very, close to the Nat'l shot.

Last point, scorpionx300, check you squad times. 11:30pm is usually Dbls/Sgls and there is no 8:30am squad. Me thinks you mean 8:30pm for Teams 'cause that would be correct. Don't want you to show up for the wrong squad. I did that once & it was embarrassing even though my partner & I did get to bowl later that day. I leave Tues. & bowl Thurs. (6/14) & Fri. (6/15). When do you bowl? Anyway, Good Luck !!!!

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:07 pm 

Hey Bob,

My first post on here, but I bowl Thursday and Friday also. I bowl 8:30 team, are you 8:30 also or 2:30?

Joe Brannon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:24 am 

Thanks for the great tips!!! and Bob M., you were right, I checked with the team captain and he corrected the times as being 8:30pm Saturday and 11:30pm on Sunday.

I was able to practice late afternoon Friday at my center again (after open play) and with my Backdraft shot 245 (playing 25/15/10 @ 16mph), then tried the GT1 & Cruel LE and they were a bit too strong. There was also a friend (going to Nationals next week) on the lanes. He played straight up 8-10 (he does not have much hand) and he got his best look when he moved in to 18/10/8 with a slower approach. On my last game I used a plastic ball while standing at 12 and throwing over 7 and shot 236 (just for fun and to see how the lane broke down outside).

I also noticed that I could play pretty much all spares by aiming 2-3 boards right of a THS or if using plastic the line held pretty good.

Last thing: Oddly enough, I bowled a 279 (last 9 Xs) with the Backdraft subbing on the 9pm league (3rd game) on Thursday and when I started bowling on the National pattern Friday, I tried to use the same approach/line, which is when I shot the 245.

Also bowled a 278 (first 9 Xs) with the GT1, 1st game the previous week on the same league.

Style: Stroker

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]