MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Help on Cheetah pattern
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:37 am 

Hi Guys,
I am an avid Motiv bowler and will be taking on my an amateur tournament next month which happens to be on the Cheetah. I am a good house bowler but have never really tackled the PBA patterns. Any advice on what ball, surface, and drilling I should be using? I am not technical at all but I throw about 16 mph with a medium rev rate. I'm just looking for any help I can get to help give me a boost. Here is my current Motiv arsenal.
Sigma Hybrid - pin over ring finger
Raptor attack - pin under middle finger
Thrash - pin about 2 inches above fingers in center
QZ2 backdraft - pin over ring finger.
Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry I'm not to technical but I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks!
Stan

Post subject: Re: Help on Cheetah pattern
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:24 pm 

my best advice-
find a place that will put out the cheetah for you and practice, practice, practice.

Cheetah is not hard, just very different from the house patterns.

Be prepared to play outside 5 board (the 'magic number' 31 subtracted from the pattern length (35') is "4", which on most surfaces will be the board number you'll want the ball to be on when it exits the pattern).

Not every center is the same, as surface type, surface wear, and lane machine all help to make patterns play different house to house.

There really is no better mental or physical preparation other than practice. Go experience it to dispel any questions, worries and/or fears about bowling on it.

Good luck, and welcome to the next step in your game!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:32 pm 

This could not have been written any better.....Get to a center and get as much practice as ya can being that close to the gutter most ppl are worried about it going into the gutter.

plamormick wrote:
my best advice-
find a place that will put out the cheetah for you and practice, practice, practice.

Cheetah is not hard, just very different from the house patterns.

Be prepared to play outside 5 board (the 'magic number' 31 subtracted from the pattern length (35') is "4", which on most surfaces will be the board number you'll want the ball to be on when it exits the pattern).

Not every center is the same, as surface type, surface wear, and lane machine all help to make patterns play different house to house.

There really is no better mental or physical preparation other than practice. Go experience it to dispel any questions, worries and/or fears about bowling on it.

Good luck, and welcome to the next step in your game!

TURBO Staff Member
IBMA International Bowling Media Association Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:51 pm 

The rule of 31 is a good guideline.

Along with what Mr. Hackbarth said, I would add that a slow response ball is best for patterns like this. There is a LOT of lane left after the end of the pattern and you don't want a fast response ball in that situation. lol!

There are two schools of thought on how to attack this pattern when it plays the way it's "supposed to." First, is to take stuff that is really strong and "cut the lane in half;" thus controlling the pattern. Essentially, you take a ball that is very strong with surface that will read the pattern early and stabilize incredibly quckly and essentially bail water down lane. This is how Dick Allen goes after Cheetah most times. Lower RG, even Asym balls are really good for this. Your ball reads before the end of the pattern and is incredibly controllable down lane. *THIS IS ONLY GOOD IF YOUR HAND IS SOFT! If you touch the inside of the finger holes doing it this way you'll usually get yourself in trouble.

The second method is what you see guys like Norm Duke do, and that's throw something incredibly weak. The thought here is that the ball won't overreact when it gets to the end of the pattern. Keep in mind, this does not mean a ball that is typically weak left to right, but rather front to back. Balls that are weak because they retain energy are NOT good on this kind of pattern. The kind of weak I'm talking about would be something like a solid Ascent or possibly a QZ2 Black/Blue.

Recently, this pattern has been playing a bit flatter. What that means on a pattern of this volume and length is that it's really hard to play as straight as you used to. The last several times I've bowled on Cheetah I've had to "send it" to the 2/3/4 board rather than play up the pattern.

Finally, on Cheetah, it's much more about HOW you throw it than it is WHERE you throw it. What I mean is, getting your ball into a consistent, heavy, end-over-end roll and having the correct ball in your hand is much much more important than splitting boards. If you do everything right, but hit the 2 board instead of the 4 down lane you're going to strike on this pattern.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:38 am 

well said Brett

TURBO Staff Member
IBMA International Bowling Media Association Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:06 pm 

Thanks for all of the help. So based on my current arsenal which I listed in my original post, do you see anything there which could work (maybe the backdraft?) or would I be better possibly picking up another ball before the event? Unfortunately, my local house won't lay down the pattern for me before hand so I will be going into the tournament completely guessing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:36 pm 

id like to add something that brett himself filled me in on. if you happen to have something with a weight hole in it you could strike it rich because the weight hole is going to make the ball quit downlane and "stabilize" without a hole you may get into continuation issues creating over/under depending on how the pattern is playing.

Aaron - Motiv Staff

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]