MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: PBA rule change
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:42 pm 

Hmm.. saw this in another website. Does that mean all the staffers will now have to wait with the rest of us?

The PBA announced a new rule prohibiting members from using bowling balls until they are officially released to the public. Do you agree or disagree with this new rule?

Post subject: Re: PBA rule change
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:04 pm 

Do they mean in tournaments and such or in general?

I TX1 (16lbs) I SX1 (15lbs) I Cruel LE (16lbs) I Primal TV4 (15 lbs) I Primal Impulse (15 lbs) I Ascent Pearl (15 lbs) I
As soon as I can get it:
I Primal Scream I

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:15 pm 

I emailed the Metro Detroit USBC about a similar issue. They replied stating that "a ball is not approved for USBC competition until it's world wide release date."

That being said, I don't know if it applied for the PBA, they seem to get special treatment (& rightfully so) in areas like these. I personally would prefer to have staffer members using new equipment prior to it being available to the public. This way I can have better idea of what I am getting when I pre-order equipment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:04 pm 

The rule ATM is Pba tournament play only. Leagues and what not don't seem effected by it. Personally I disagree with this ruling however I will hold voicing my opinions as I've been pretty vocal about it today.

Aaron - Motiv Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 am 

Worst rule change ever

High Avg - 238
PBA member
Motiv Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:07 pm 

The Metro Detroit rule stating no bowling ball is approved for USBC competition until its WWRD must be a local rule. USBC states any ball on the approved ball list is acceptable for use irregardless of the WWRD. For example, the 2Cruel was approved in June 2012 and could have been used in any USBC competition (league, or even the USBC Open Championships in BR). Imagine all of the Ebonite staffers who have received their new release balls already and some won't have a WWRD until September. What are they suppose to do, just "practice" with them for 3 months?

This rule was expected since they are trying to entice more "regular joes" to enter the PBA events. Not all are on ball contracts and wouldn't be able to use the same equipment the staffers could. Supposedly, the equipment truck at the National events has all of the same equipment the staffers have available to all bowlers. This rule levels the playing field at the Regional level where the percentage of staffers to non-staffers is lower.

Here are my comments from another forum:

I see 2 sides to this rule:

1. Any ball used for PBA use should be available to all PBA bowlers (even those performing as guests). As Jeff states, it really doesn't seem like too much of an advantage now, but who knows in the future. Extending this to the Regional level makes sense since all of the regular TV pros are bowling more regionals because there isn't a travelling tour taking up all their time. All of the big events are bowled over a short time and televised throughout the year.

2. Unfortunately for the ball manufacturers, since the events are recorded, they are not able to showcase the bowling balls that will be available to the general public on TV before their release date. This has always been a big deal since seeing someone on TV use a ball successfully would translate to either sales or anticipation. Old saying being, "what wins on Saturday, sells on Monday." This could mean seeing possible discontinued balls on TV since that is what was available at the time of the show.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:44 am 

As an amateur, I like this rule. I would want to have the same equipment available to me as any other guy. Really, it comes down to skill in the long-run anyways. I believe that I could probably win tournaments with my Sr2 and spareball if I was a better bowler. I do sympathize the manufacturers though, as you said.

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 am 

With regards to the USBC, I believe that you can use a ball as long as it is posted on their web site of Approved Equipment . . . and many times they post the balls approval prior to the release date. This was the case for the 2Cruel which enabled me to use it at Nationals prior to the official release date (didn't help since they were so dry during D/S that I was in front of the ball returns w/everything I brought).
Staffers always receive new release balls before anyone else so they can test them out, use them in league, sweepers, etc. to see how the ball reacts & to create 'buzz' for the product. What the PBA has done is restrict the use of them until their official release date which I believe all manufactors have posted for each release. As a staffer, I am not overly excited by this decision but I understand the PBA's "motiv". ;)
I think, in the past, this effected the regional player more than the exempt guys since IMHO most of them have some kind of ball contract w/some manufactor. Alot of the regional players do not thus will often compete against national players at a regional & the national player has the "latest & greatest" before anyone else can get their hands on it. If I understand the rule change, going forward the only advantage the staffer will have is the fact they will get the new balls sooner to practice w/them but cannot use them in competition until everyone else has the opportunity to purchase one as well. Whatever the case, you still have to match up well to the conditions & throw it well ! ! !

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]