MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Motiv's Full Specs Page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:52 pm 

Help me out here, please. Could someone explain Motiv's spec page. I'm not sure what is meant by core, cover, and box strength. I can compare the numbers across the different balls but what do the numbers really mean? For example, the Ascent solid has a box strength of 60 which is more than some of the higher priced, supposedly more potent balls. Is box strength the most most important number? How should these number be used in picking out a ball? Finally, why can't there be a chart showing all the balls at once so we don't have to jump back and forth to compare them or do I just not see it?

Post subject: Re: Motiv's Full Specs Page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:56 pm 

Here is my take on the "Box Finish Strength" number, it just refers the surface prep out of the box.

10 = 4000 wet sand + polish (Qz2 Blue, Recon)
20 = 2000 wet sand + polish (Ascent Pearl, Raptor Attack)
30 = 4000 wet sand (2Cruel, Raptor)
60 = 1000 wet sand (Sigma Hybrid, Thrash, Ascent Solid)
going by memory: 80 = 800 wet sand (TR2)

Sanding a Recon to 1000 wet sand will esentially make the "Box Finish Strength" at 60. But with the Recon having a lower core/cover (47/25) it is not as strong of a ball as say the Raptor P7 (95/96). Now layout and surface prep can bring these 2 balls a little closer together, but I think trying to use a Raptor on dry lanes or a Recon on oily lanes will end up quite unsuccessful. I'm not sure if I explained that very clearly, I guess that's why I don't write for a living.

As far as picking out a ball, just get a Sigma Tour, that thing is amazing. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:14 am 

If you prefer the old style of numbers to compare the equipment, pull the shelf talker.

As for comparison charts, they are a bit misleading to me because what should be an aggressive ball can seem very weak on the wrong condition or with the wrong drilling. I tend to compare the numbers without trying to get caught up in the minutia by using a known piece of information, my baseline ball specs and its layout. If you take the provided numbers and imagine the same drilling on both balls, then you can formulate an idea of how the reactions may differ under various conditions. Cover should be in consideration to the volume of oil, core is in consideration of the shape of the shot, finish is explained pretty well above so I won't even pretend. ;)

I am not sure if this is of any help but it has helped me build and rebuild my arsenal with the great equipment produced by Motiv.

And +1 on the Sigma Tour! The Sigma Hybrid is nasty on higher volumes of oil too!

Just my 2 Lincolns
H1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:17 am 

Just as a final thought on ball comparison, although the numbers for core physics are before drilling, they are at least supposed to be consistently measured and reported between manufacturers (although I don't see why you would want any other manufacturer). As such, if you want to really compare bowling balls, a basic understanding of the RG and the Differential is a requirement.

H1

The text to follow was copied from http://bowlingballgalaxy.com/rg-differential.html

Quote:
RG Differential and RG What Does This Mean?

I will try to address this simply and with as little confusion as possible. I first must tell you I am not a scientist or a ball designer. I am always learning as are you. I am sure some of you have wondered what does some of the numbers on a bowling ball technical sheet mean and how does it affect me, the bowler. Why do I need to know it anyway. First I must address cover stocks and cores. The cover stock is like the tires on a car and the core is like the engine. These two things are what influence the bowling ball motion. You choose a bowling ball to match your style and the lane conditions you bowl on. Because of so many different style bowlers and bowling lane conditions, the ball companies make different types of balls, and are trying to make a ball that will sell. So that is why you see these numbers on a balls specs. sheet. Also, the USBC rates them to have a tolerance.

RG-
RG means Radius Of Gyration. The RG of a bowling ball tells you how soon the core is designed to roll. The lower the RG, the sooner the ball is designed to roll. The lowest allowed by the USBC is 2.43 the highest is RG 2.80. (USBC could change the rule anytime).

The RG Differential (also called just DIFFERENTIAL) -
This indicates the difference between the low RG and the high RG. The Differential indicates the potential for track flare which can be translated into hook potential. The higher the differential, the more hook potential the core possesses. The RG differential indicates the difference between the low RG and the high RG. The maximum differential allowed by the USBC is 0.060. Don’t get this confused with intermediate differential because that is different. This is used in asymmetrical bowling balls to measure the spin time of the bowling ball before drilling.
Note: All numbers on the spec. sheets are before drilling and that is an important factor as the numbers then change.
Ok this is what RG Differential and RG mean. But, the biggest influence in bowling ball motion is the surface of the ball and the force and direction of the bowler’s release. In addition, the condition of the bowling lane must also be taken into consideration...

Now here is a pretty good rule.

A lower RG ball with a low differential will produce an earlier rolling ball with a small arcing motion.
A lower RG ball with a high differential will produce an earlier rolling ball with a larger/stronger arcing motion.
A higher RG ball with a low differential will produce a later rolling ball with an angular backend motion.
A higher RG ball with a high differential will produce a later rolling ball with a strong, somewhat angular backend motion.

On differential:
The lower the differential the closer together the track flare. The higher the differential the further apart the track flare. The cover stock friction on the lane allows this to come together. Coverstock adjustment is needed to adjust to the conditions you are bowling on. Well I hope this helps and does not confuse you too much. Refer to the Recommended Resources section below for more valuable bowling information

Good Luck and Good Bowling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:36 am 

The Ascent Solid has a box finish of 60, but that doesn't mean it's the best ball for price. Remember, the Ascent line was featured for Motiv's entry in "Entry level" equipment. Box finish is standard OOB coverstock finish. You can change it to how you see fit.

On the balls page, you can see how they line up the different choices on the left, currently from 2Cruel - Sniper. This is a good way to compare if you look at it like a heavy oil - light oil chart, since it's pretty close to that. Of course, when choosing a ball, it's always smart to ask recommendations from owners of Motiv equipment. Remember though, it doesn't matter as much of the ball itself, as the drill layout on the ball itself.

Recommendations? Sigma Tour has been a great ball, but it also depends on the type of lanes you intend to bowl on.

Ascent Pearl

Speed: 15-17 MPH
Rev: Approx. 325-350 RPM
Tilt:15*
Rotation: 45*

Game: 290
Series: 640
Experience: 4 years
Level: Junior Gold member (USBC Youth)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]