MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Benchmark Advice/Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 am 

All,

I've decided to give Motiv a good try this year and tend to be slightly brand loyal and I like to build one ball off another in the same manufacturers line. I did get a 2 Cruel just drilled 60*x4"x40* no x hole for a Sr. Scratch league lane pattern to be determined after meeting but last year was USBC White #2 and may go to a USBC Blue.

Previously I have had an SX-1, TX-1 and Primal Impulse which are all gone. I found the Motivator X cover to be a bit iffy on carry down and the PI and myself didn't match up well. Possible layout issue.

My stats. I am a right hander with average speed 17 mph in heads and 14.5 - 15 at deck on CATS. 300 - 325 rpm's. Track diameter 11"s and axis tilt 17 deg. Axis rotation 45 - 60 deg. ave. 5" over & 0" PAP.

Main house I bowl at is 16 year old 1st Generation BrunsAnvilane semi worn panels and the house shot is 39' 19ml wet/dry nothing much outside 7-8. Lane conditioner used Kegel Offense poor length wise tape too much in back of pattern...heads tend to burn. My comfort zone 5 board down and in to 19-20 at arrows when playing inside....so a pretty wide variance. I would not term myself as a pigeon holed stuck player to one area of the lane but also like most not a great deep inside player either.

I am definitely looking at a Ascent Solid but will probably change OOB surface as P1000 is relatively dull for this kind of lane condition and may burn up early and not retain energy but I will try OOB first if I get one.

My main question is what ball should I look at for a benchmark ball? Looking at Sigma Tour (might be too much ball for this house overall but other houses/patterns might be good), QZ2 Backdraft and Thrash (again question OOB surface for this house).

Can someone explain what the difference is in the Thrash Z-Max solid reactive. I see it is not used on any other present Motiv line up balls. Comparison to Motivator-Z used in the others QZ's?

Which middle of the road benchmark ball in the Motiv line do you suggest? Sigma Tour, QZ2 Backdraft or Thrash?

Thanks for the help!
Scott

Post subject: Re: Benchmark Advice/Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:17 pm 

WOW! I am very impressed to hear there is such a thing as a Sr. Scratch League. Wish I could find that in my neck of the woods. Where you from? Anyhow, to address your question, I believe the Sigma Tour w/say a 60x5x45 would be a good bench mark ball based on the conditions you stated & your specs. My second recommendation would be a Backdraft 55x4.5x40. P2 or P3 hole depending on what you want to do w/overall reaction.
Instead of shining an Ascent Solid why not look at an Ascent Pearl. Goes longer but stronger off the pattern. You could use it when you want to go up 5 board.
Hope this helps & welcome to Motiv-nation !!!

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:09 pm 

Bob, etal,

I am from Madison, WI and yes Sr. Scratch leagues exist here in fact there are two in two different houses. One on a house shot and the other the one I bowl in on White #2.

I have used the 2 Cruel twice now and going to put an x hole at P2 or P3 looking for just a bit better carry.

Getting an Ascent Solid drilled next week and trying it at OOB surface first too see if it will retain enough energy and blend out wet/dry on house shots.

Your suggestion of Ascent Pearl is not what I a really looking for in that I really don't want to play the dry as it may get very iffy with others playing inside of me.

I used a QZ-1 Red as my medium ball now and after the backends tone down it is money.

I am looking for suggestions from others to what is just slightly above the QZ-1 Red not a heckva a lot but a good benchmark? Sigma Tour looks like a great ball but might be a bit too much for my ball speed?

I posted my stats. in the first post.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:25 pm 

To me, a Thrash would seem to fit your needs. It is essentially a solid version of a QZ ball. It is pretty dull out of box (especially by comparison to the QZs), so you might need a surface change.

SImilar look, same core, stronger (earlier) cover.

Sounds like the cat's meow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:07 pm 

if you think the Sigma Tour will be too much than take a look at the Backdraft. Love the overall reaction I get on most medium-to-light medium patterns. This one may work out real well for you.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 pm 

Scott

Your stats are not that much different than mine. 300+ RPM's, 45 deg rotation, 17 deg tilt and 15.5 -16 MPH. I would recomend the Backdraft if you have a higher friction surface. Very underrated ball in my opinion. For me its cleaner through the fronts than my Thrash or Sigma Tour and still hits very well. I gotta say that a Sigma Tour OOB is pretty clean its just a stronger overall. The Backdraft is my benchmark ball higher friction occasions. The Ascent solid may also fit your needs with a surface change. OOB imine reads fairly early and smooth. I have not made any surface changes on my Ascent solid yet. If you have any other questions let me know.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:20 am 

Quote:
Scott

Your stats are not that much different than mine. 300+ RPM's, 45 deg rotation, 17 deg tilt and 15.5 -16 MPH. I would recomend the Backdraft if you have a higher friction surface. Very underrated ball in my opinion. For me its cleaner through the fronts than my Thrash or Sigma Tour and still hits very well. I gotta say that a Sigma Tour OOB is pretty clean its just a stronger overall. The Backdraft is my benchmark ball higher friction occasions. The Ascent solid may also fit your needs with a surface change. OOB imine reads fairly early and smooth. I have not made any surface changes on my Ascent solid yet. If you have any other questions let me know.

Rob

Rob,

I was waiting for you to reply in that your stats and mine are very close. Glad you did. :mrgreen: I sent you a message on BR.com maybe you didn't get it? I looked at your vids and see much resemblance to my game you might me a smidge faster. We crossed at Willow Creek two years ago on 2nd shift and I used a QZ-1 Red and had a decent look.

I am bowling at Bowl-A-Vard Madison, WI which always has as riggs says "frictious" panels. Their house shot is less volume than FoxRun's house shot 39' 19ml very little outside with a poor length wise taper.

Thanks for the help all and especially Mr. Lange....I'll be seeing you at tourney's Rob!

Scott

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]