MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Venom Strike Surface Justin Wi
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:32 pm 

I'm used to hooking the ball a lot and I was just wondering if there is a certain surface you can put onto my venom strike and make it hook the most. Or if there is a layout that you can put on it to hook it harder?

Post subject: Re: Venom Strike Surface Justin Wi
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:33 am 

I recognize that I'm not Justin, but thought I'd give my input. Adjusting surface on a ball (in very simple terms) manipulates how much friction the ball can create and how quickly it can respond to friction. So, that said, there are some patterns on which a shiny ball will hook more than a dull ball and vice versa.

The same goes for layouts. Faster responding layouts will actually hook more than slower response on some patterns. Furthermore, on both of these (layout and surface) the rev rate of the bowler will determine a lot. For example, a rev dominant player on a high friction pattern will see more hook out of a shiny ball with a "weaker" layout. In the same way, a speed dominant player on a higher volume pattern would benefit from a stronger layout and more surface.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:59 am 

There is a layout and a surface prep that will maximize hook for your specific style on a specific condition. That formula will not work everywhere, or possibly even anywhere else. Maximizing hook potential is not equal to maximizing scoring potential. In any case, the experts here will need a lot more info from you to give you the answer you want.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:24 pm 

It is, in fact, a formula that always works. However, there are many variables. I gave a couple of examples to explain the variables involved in creating the best possible shape. Friction and speed of response are the two contributing factors that determine the shape a ball makes and the amount of hook.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]