MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: MOTIV Staff Q & A
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 am 

OK, folks, ask and you shall receive. I saw the complaints that the site was dead and that staff players were not present. So, this thread is going to be my attempt at bringing some life to the party.

I contacted the staff players and ask that they stop by the forum periodically to tend to this thread.

Feel free to ask whatever you'd like in this thread. Keep in mind, there are some things that we can't answer, such as:
- Upcoming Releases
- Staff Pricing
- How Neo-Mark graphics are made (we don't know)
- And any other inside information that staffers are not allowed to share.

I hope this is a helpful thread that fills the need that I've been hearing.

Regards,
Brett

Post subject: Re: MOTIV Staff Q & A
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:16 pm 

Well, Brett, thanks for shaking the tree.

I'll ask the first question-- what was the thinking behind both the layout of the Rage for EJ's TV match, and did you think in retrospect that maybe the Toxin would have given him more room?

And as far as Neo Mark graphics-that's easy: pixie dust and industrial pixie-presses. See you at Expo!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:57 pm 

Brett, I have several people at home who are wondering what the layout was on E.J.'s Rage especially since the pin looked so close to his thumb below his grip centerline...

What were you trying to accomplish with the red ball and that drilling?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:49 pm 

I think brett said he copied a ball but he needed more length so they dropped the pin a bit...if i remember correctly...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:48 am 

DNA300X wrote:
since the pin looked so close to his thumb below his grip centerline...

That kind of sounds like a full roller layout. Unfortunately, I didn't see the telecast so I'm just guessing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:49 am 

Jellert1 wrote:
DNA300X wrote:
since the pin looked so close to his thumb below his grip centerline...

That kind of sounds like a full roller layout. Unfortunately, I didn't see the telecast so I'm just guessing.

it is not a full roller layout.
i would say the pin is about an inch to the north west portion of the thumb. cg to the right of th ethumb with a weight hole past it.
it suppose to make it smoother off the breakpoint is what i heard <could be mis remembering> and a little more controllable.

Cruel Intent
2cruel
Revolt x2
Shock x2
Octane
APEX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:59 am 

OK, folks, here's the story on the Rage. I've been gone for a while and I apologize for that.

EJ started with a rage that was a fairly ordinary looking pin under the bridge with a small hole down. After the first qualifying block we wanted one slower (not longer) off of the spot, so we did one with the pin in the palm and a bigger hole. EJ preferred this one to the one that was under the bridge.

However, before you go to a tv taping there are always a few balls that get drilled. We wanted EJ to have some options that were even slower off of the spot than his ball with the pin in the center of the grip. We intended to do one with a bigger VAL to be even slower off of the friction with a 13/16 hole, but the truck assumed I meant 1 3/16 hole, so he ended up with two balls with the same layout and different hole sizes. The one with the smaller hole flared less, providing less fresh shell on the lane along with the slowed response.

Before the show the Toxin and the Tank were given a look. The Toxin was too weak and made the shim play like OB. If the ball saw the shim it would wash out. On that pattern you had to be able to see the shim or have unlimited bounce, one or the other.

The urethane MAY have been an option with enough surface, but only because on TV you bowl for better score, not just for score. What I mean is, his ceiling would have been lower for high scores, but it may have wrecked everybody else's day more. However, I don't think it would have gotten us through the first match.

Ultimately, EJ threw the ball that got him there and that makes sense to me. I'm confident he had the right shell in his bag. If there is anything to say about his ball choice it might just be that we would have liked to have had a Sigma or Gear core with that shell available. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 am 

Haha, new ball alert^^^^^. Thanks for that info. Always interesting to read about the thought process that goes into ball selection.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:12 pm 

Not necessarily a new ball alert, just saying that trick layouts aren't ideal. We were trying to make that ball roll like it had less rg and diff than it really did. Less RG and Diff would be a Sigma core.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:05 pm 

On the Badger pattern, what made the Rage a better choice, in general, than a ball like the Talon?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next