MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Looking to get MOTIVated
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 pm 

Hey All,
New to the Forum, i have been interested in Motiv products for awhile but have been spread too thin with other balls and companies.

Now i am just looking for a change. I am a lower rev, speed about 14.5 mph (the revs and speed match up well). I typically shine with balls that are designed for lower oil volume. Can't explain why....but the heavy oil balls tend to be too strong and I either send them WAY too far to the left or I end up using them on less than desirable conditions and they end up burning up and having no energy. My biggest problem is staying behind the ball. I have a pretty good aim but tend to have some problems with the carry thru.

If I could get might carry thru to be stronger, I am sure I will be well into the 200's as far as average. So....what I really want to know is what Motiv ball (I plan on getting at least a 3 ball arsenal going shortly) but I am really looking for what 2 balls I should start with.

I am leaning heavily towards Primal Scream due to the versatility....but it is hard to ignore all the ravings about the Primal Rage.....(i think the tribal is going to be a better fit for my game....but at this point I am simply guessing) I have had some good luck recently with the Rotogrip Wrecker as well as several Jet and Seismic balls.

I guess it is just time to give Motiv a shot and see what happens....maybe I get that first 300 and quit playing with all the other stuff!

Post subject: Re: Looking to get MOTIVated
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:42 pm 

Welcome to the Forum!

By the way, are you bowling on a dry house shot on wood or synthetic? That does influence the decision on the purchase. I hope I helped a little.
If you are looking for something similar to that Wrecker, the Venom Toxin is a similar idea with a hybrid cover and it can be pretty versatility with scuffing or polish so you can form the reaction you want out of it. If you are considering something for the very dry, get you hands on a Pearl Ascent maybe. A small disclaimer, I am newish to this forum, but I have seen a wrecker in action and I have thrown all the balls I am recommending. Hope you love Motiv as much as I do.

Adam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:00 pm 

Sounds a lot like I used to be. I could never use high end gear because I start up my gear really fast with my release (I've been told its a voodoo release :lol: ).

I would worry that the Scream might be too cover strong. I would suggest a little more detail. Examples:

1.) Do you have more success with pin up or down?
2.) Where do you like to play the lanes on THS?
3.) Does early friction really mess you up or not really?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:12 am 

I would probably go with the Venom Strike or Toxin. The strike will be a bit earlier and the toxin will be a bit longer with a strong back end motion.

Ball Speed: 16mph

Cruel Intent x2
Primal Rage
Raptor Talon
Primal Scream
Covert Revolt x2
Sigma Sting
Tribal
Venom Shock x2
Venom Toxin
Ascent Pearl (G/P)
Tank
Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:33 am 

If you don't mind throwing retired balls, I've drilled the Sigma Tour for a few people as thier first MOTIV ball. All have had success. It's a perfect "middle of road" ball, not too strong, not too angular. You can still find them and typically discounted right now.

I'm gonna miss this ball.... :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:07 pm 

To answer some questions. All lanes I bowl are synthetic.

The lanes usually dry fairly fast, that said we bowled badger last night and I thought the shot was laid out perfect.

Pin arrangements usually don't matter much. but I have got in the habit of going with a label drilling pin above the fingers either centered over ring finger or in beteen fingers.

I do this so that I can use balls for what they were made for and I find the label drilling very forgiving.

In addition, I do like a RICO drilling from time to time. but a majority are pin up CG VERY slightly kicked.....if CG is kicked too far the balls tend to be unforgiving....and frankly I dont need more flare.....

On a THS I tend to bowl up the 8-12 board at the first arrows (the ball skids to about 5-6 area then returns. I have had carry issues and modified my release a little.....to see if it helps.)

MY THS average is almost the same as sport average - go figure....I bowl better on sport than most, but worse on THS than most also....

As far as friction, the biggest isue I have is balls storing energy and making the transtion to a roll, when the balls hit th edry the tend to JUMP SEVERELY.....if I could get rid of that jump at the end.....I have a chance to be a REALLY good bowler as to opposed to just a little above average guy.....

incidentally on badger I shot 717 (and it was my first time....) not bad at 179 average considering all the trouble people were having. Although I will say the average should have been closer to 195.....I missed several makable spares.....

I think I answered all the questions. I am not opposed to discontinued balls or even used if I get a decent deal. I did order a Toxin then I will likely order the rage and Ascent pearl.....

probably the ascent pearl next....but who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:37 am 

So from everything I read (and I am NOT a pro shop guy) it sounds like you want a Venom Strike to start. It's core uses energy very fast so it generally will not fly off the backends (unless you just feed it through rivers of oil). You might need to play with the cover a bit to get it just where you want it. It can use too much energy early and quit but I think you would prefer that to it skid/flipping like a storm ball. I think it will be a good starting point.

If you move on to a Rage definitely go with a stronger pin down layout. This actually calms the Rage down and makes it smoother on higher friction as the layout burns energy faster. Again, as with the Strike, too early into high friction and it can quit.

I would hold off on an Ascent until you either have a Strike or Rage. It's a very weak cover and I think it would just skid/flip for you and would be relegated to the "I got nothing else" ball. My 2 cents.

Finally, I highly recommend finding a pro shop near you with a staffer (if you can) and let them see you roll a couple games and then see what they recommend.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:59 pm 

With your speed and revs, I would definitely go with the gear core. Either the venom strike or toxin. Ascents and the tribal would probably be very snappy and leave a lot of splits. Not a pro shop guy but that's my recommendation. Hope you love your motiv equipment like everyone else does!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]