MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Benchmark Help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:00 pm 

Hello everyone. I am a high school bowler with a medium oil benchmark issue. I have had a lot of motiv lately and wished to stay in the line; however, I have no clue what would be a good investment in. I bowl on anything kegel sport and middle of the road mix and matches. I would prefer something that would have a little more control than backend. With a rev rate of about 225 and a speed of 17-18 off the hand (machine will register it at about 15 to 16), With my experience with the Tribal that I only use on only medium oil, I hesitating about a sigma sting because of the fact it has a stronger core with the same cover. I was think about a original sigma tour or a venom toxin, but I am lost because I have not been able to demo anything in a long time. My current line up is a raptor p7 with 500 grit (Length and backend layout for high track), raptor attack (4000 grit) with the same layout with the pin kicked up 0.5", Tribal with length layout on a low track on 4000. PAP is 4.5" over and 1" up. Thank you for the help.

Post subject: Re: Benchmark Help
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:50 am 

I had a lot of success in the "benchmark" category with the original Sigma Tour and Venom Strike especially. I had the Venom drilled pin under my ring finger and added some surface to it (typically in the 1000 range) and it always read the lane very well. I was able to throw it on all sorts of patterns. Hope that helps some.

SR2
Thrash
Venom Strike
Primal Impulse
Silver Recon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:30 am 

There's a lot of good things that can be said for the Covert Revolt that releases in 3 days. It's made for Medium oil and is a smooth yet continuous motion. Check out the videos that have been posted on it. That's the one that I would recommend.

Ball Speed: 16mph

Cruel Intent x2
Primal Rage
Raptor Talon
Primal Scream
Covert Revolt x2
Sigma Sting
Tribal
Venom Shock x2
Venom Toxin
Ascent Pearl (G/P)
Tank
Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:19 pm 

In my experience, I think you are right to shy away from the Sting if you do not want too strong of a reaction-- it is stronger than advertised, which isn't always a bad thing.

I think you should look at the Quadfire core for your benchmark ball, either a Thrash Frenzy, or if you can get ahold of one, a QZ2 Backdraft.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 pm 

Thanks for the responses I have a couple questions. For the revolt, it there anything that should be done to account for the pretty high diff and that aggressive core (appears to be a modded predator core, which I love)? And for the Quadfire, I have thrown the thrash solid, loved that to death, wouldn't it be better to hunt for the solid version of the thrash over the frenzy, due the all the polish and pearl in it? Lastly, how would I find a sigma tour? I have hunted around with no avail.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:18 pm 

I have found that the Primal Rage has become my step down ball between the Sting and the Tribal. The fact that it is the same cover but with a longer core really helps me as I know I am going to see the same cover reaction but get further down lane because of the core change.

My general tournament (Not that I am a great tournament bowler yet :lol:) set in order of use (I have both pin up and down of everything but the Thrash Frenzy):

Sting
Primal Rage
Tribal (pin down strong to smooth it out)
Thrash Frenzy (Pin down strong to smooth it out)
Tribal (Pin up very long)
** New Sniper as soon as I can get hands on it :D

If I need a little more hook I add my Primal Screams first

Don't be afraid of the Sting. It strong but it's VERY controllable and it can cover a HUGE range of angles with good drills.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 pm 

The more Sting/Rage comparisons I hear, the more I'm thinking I need a Rage. I love my Sting, but it can be a bit too strong and a bit too early in the later games. It's nothing can't be controlled with some on lane adjustments. Though the Sting is quite a bit stronger, it has replaced my Tour as the benchmark of my arsenal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:11 pm 

After throwing my Revolt on Tuesday, I wouldn't advise using the Revolt as a benchmark, unless you have trouble getting the Fusion Pearl cover balls to hook early in the night. If you need a layout to offset the differential and early grip offered by the Turmoil cover, you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

I still like the Frenzy because the Whiplash cover isn't so skid-flippy on the Quadfire core, and takes to surface changes easily. It could easily be a middle-of-the-road ball for your arsenal.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]