MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Backup Bowler needs advice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:10 am 

My friend has a Hardcore Hammer Grind she really likes but it is getting on in years and games. She is righty but throws a backup ball, lower ball speed around 13 - 14 mph, lower rev rate, and usually bowls only on THS. She likes to throw much like a real lefty, that is, down the first arrow. If you could see her shot you would think a lefty threw it. She averages in the mid-180s and has had her two 700+ series with the Grind. She wants a ball that will get down the lane and turns with good continuation (who doesn't!). Because she throws a backup ball its hard for her to go out and around so prefers to stay down and in all night. Any ideas on what Motiv ball might be best for her?

Post subject: Re: Backup Bowler needs advice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:13 pm 

Thrash Frenzy or Venom Toxin or Tribal depending on how much friction the lane surface has and how much "spin" she has.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:55 am 

jerrylee300 wrote:
My friend has a Hardcore Hammer Grind she really likes but it is getting on in years and games. She is righty but throws a backup ball, lower ball speed around 13 - 14 mph, lower rev rate, and usually bowls only on THS. She likes to throw much like a real lefty, that is, down the first arrow. If you could see her shot you would think a lefty threw it. She averages in the mid-180s and has had her two 700+ series with the Grind. She wants a ball that will get down the lane and turns with good continuation (who doesn't!). Because she throws a backup ball its hard for her to go out and around so prefers to stay down and in all night. Any ideas on what Motiv ball might be best for her?

Sigma Sting or Primal Rage would be a good one too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:19 pm 

I'm currently working with a younger bowler with similar (darn near identical) characteristics. She is throwing the Primal Rage right now (don't know the drill) and at that speed it gets to be too much ball for playing up the boards relatively early. I put her in a moderately drilled Venom Strike (she liked the color...SMH) and she has been no less than 15-20 pins per game over her average on most nights. (bye bye handicap)

The Hammer Grind has a symmetric core (Bullet core) and is known as predictable and controlled. It also used a cover from one of the tool company's more popular coverstock groups (Violent Reactive from the Widow line), known for, if I remember correctly, a relatively quick response to friction and a pretty strong but controlled arc in motion. It read the midlane relatively easily and with the polished finish got through the heads pretty well. Your basic tool company benchmark ball.

Considering the shape of the Grind's core (I will call it a cylindrical light bulb for comparison and a ballpoint pen tip for imagery - LOL) and it's cover characteristics, I would suggest either the Tribal or Sigma Sting with a moderately tame drill meant for controlled reaction at the mid lane or the end of the pattern. Light bulb cores and the Sigma core are so much more predictable for me that it is hard to steer away from them when making recommendations for THS. The Fusion Pearl Reactive cover is a go to for length and continuation; it seems to always maintain enough energy to prevent burn-out except on the most extremely dry conditions. I throw my Sigma Hybrid up the boards almost exclusively and never see an over or weak reaction unless I screw up.

For transition, I can't talk about the Gear core enough. If you can get a Venom Toxin matched with a moderate drill, you should see plenty of success through the later frames. I have found that the gear core gives me more room to move inside to the oil on broken down or shorter patterns without forcing me to "hook the lane". Also, the nature of Motiv covers to accept different finishes means you have almost infinite options to match the ball to the expected or experienced conditions.

Just my 2 Lincolns...a bit long winded so maybe 3 Lincolns...LOL

I hope you can find some use out of it.

H1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:29 am 

Thanks for the analysis. Very helpful. Not that many "good" backup bowlers around so its hard to get a good read on what works best for them. Just because of the way they throw the ball they have fewer options for attacking the lanes. Hard for her to throw anything but down and in. I prefer Motiv equipment and she has been doing pretty good with my old QZ2 (255 last night) but think she may be swayed by another company right now :-(. Any way, very helpful and appreciate the time you took to ponder the question.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]