MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Venom Shock Video
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:05 pm 

Despite the perfect color combo, I'm probably gonna skip this release. I tried 2 layouts on my Strike and it was really a conditional ball for me. The smooth motion column of the ball chart has never really treated me too well. I seen nice gap at the top of the moderate column, which is my favorite.

Venom Bite? Pretty good name if you ask me... maybe we'll see this at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:59 pm 

Jon, the Venom Strike was pretty early and a very slow responding down lane. Don't count out the equipment just because it's placed in the smooth motion column on the ball guide. Here is why...

At the time of release the Primal Scream was one of our biggest backend balls, now it would probably be placed in the moderate if not even smoother column. The Covert Revolt and Venom Shock have so much more continuation than anything pre-redball era even though they are in the smooth column. All covers since the release of the Primal Rage have produced enhanced shapes of the previous balls even with the same cores. Essentially, the Rage, Sting, Intent, and Shock shapes were altered with these new covers, they aren't just replacements, they are improvements!

And I know a lot of people love the older stuff. So don't feel you can't get those smoother motions from the newer stuff. You might see yourself using smoother layouts, but now with the option of having the ball continue so much more.

I hope this helps you in deciding on some balls in the future!

Boom Apparel Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:53 pm 

I really don't want people to think of the transition from the Venom Strike to the Venom Shock in the conventional way that the industry does it. Most of the time a ball gets replaced and you're basically getting a new color or an infinitesimal change in reaction.

Keep in mind that MOTIV is a very young company when it comes to developing coverstocks. A year is like a generation in our cover technology advancement. The way that I see it, we have been through, at the very least, four generations of coverstocks (original, atomix, whiplash, fusion). With each generation we are capable of exponentially more shapes.

Honestly, the Venom Shock (in my opinion) is a quantum leap in performance just a year and a half after the Venom Strike. The purple ball is stronger, cleaner, faster response, and more continuous.

The great thing about these improvements is that you can always make a ball smoother, but with these new shells you can also get a more angular look and more hook. At the price, the Venom Shock is a no brainer in my book.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:17 pm 

Hopefully Motiv will still develop lower end equipment for the heavy handed guys. Most houses I go into my silver recon is more than enough. I figured I'd try a venom toxin since it was on the low end of the scale, and it absolutely screams for me. I have an ascent getting ready to be drilled, but after that I feel I'm out of options. My sigma tour is being redrilled as well because it was one of the strongest balls ever out of my hand, and it was drilled negative to slow it down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:47 pm 

If the Venom Bite ever comes to pass, I better get a free one... It was said here first on these forums!! :P

Mags/Brett, what you guys said is so spot on. I have both the Venom Strike (YAAA I GOT IT RIGHT) and the Sigma Hybrid. Both of these balls are extremely rolly. The Sigma Hybrid I found to be almost too rolly, and condition specific. However for me the Venom Strike is more versatile, but it fills a very important hole in my bag. I just got my Covert, and to say that it is "more continuous" is an understatement. It's unbelievable, and yet maintains that controllable midlane read. It's a gem. I think that's why Storm struck it so good with their "IQ" line, because they found something that is controllable but still very continuous.

If that's the case for the Venom Shock, then I can't wait to get it. For me I had fear of using layouts like 70x5x70 in pieces like the venom strike or the sigma hybrid because after seeing them with layouts like 40x4x40 they were still very rolly. I'll be putting a 70x5x70 in a Shock.

Nice posts guys!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:32 pm 

Eric have you looked in to getting a Tank? It's by far the best ball that I have found for blown out dry conditions.

Ball Speed: 16mph

Cruel Intent x2
Primal Rage
Raptor Talon
Primal Scream
Covert Revolt x2
Sigma Sting
Tribal
Venom Shock x2
Venom Toxin
Ascent Pearl (G/P)
Tank
Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:42 pm 

You made some good points Mags. I'll use the Sigma Tour and Sting as my example. They fell into the same location on the ball guide. The reaction characteristics are quite different. Which supports what Brett said about the advancement of the coverstocks. As a full roller, I don't have a ton of layout options to alter the reaction shape of a ball.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:14 am 

I do have a tank in my arsenal currently, and could use it on a fresh shot too, but my carry is better with the recon. There always has to be that guy out there that most balls hook in their backswing, and I'm one of them. With 8 degrees of tilt and a 495 rev rate, it is hard to tame balls down.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2