MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: No-thumb with a balance hole rule change
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:59 pm 

http://www.bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.as ... 3622321723

I heard some guys talking about this last night at league. I looked it up and found it quite interesting. I like the rule change.

Post subject: Re: No-thumb with a balance hole rule change
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:06 pm 

THAT IS AWESOME!

Not as a detriment or detraction for bowlers who were honest and not using the extraneous thumb hole for an advantage, but for those who knew and intentionally used the thumb hole as a second balance hole contrary to the spirit of the rule.

I like it!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:23 pm 

I have been thinking about this rule change a lot since I have a very good customer that does not use his thumb the vast majority of the time. At first glance, it may appear that these “thumbless” bowlers were using the thumb hole (TH) to their advantage as an extra weight hole (WH). However, consider this . . whether you have 2, 3, 4, or more holes in a ball, those holes do not effect anything about the ball until it is released. At the moment of release, don’t all the holes become WH’s? Although finger holes (FH) and TH are used for gripping (for us traditional style bowlers), at the moment of release they in essence become WH’s. Their location, size, and depth (in relation to the bowlers PAP) have an effect on the core and reaction dynamics of the ball traveling down the lane. Ex: deeper FH’s will typically raise the Diff. which increases the flare potential.

With this rule change, the “perceived” advantage would now go to the traditional bowler who uses his/her thumb because they could have 4 holes in the ball; 2 FH, 1 TH, & 1 WH. The thumbless bowler would only be allowed to have 3 holes total; 2 FH & 1 WH. This all assumes the bowler uses only 2 FH’s although more is permitted. So if this rule change was done to promote fairness, it seems, on the surface, to have holes in it. :D :D
Personally, I do not care either way. You still have to be accurate & repeat shots. Just some food for thought and my $.035 ($.02 adjusted for inflation). Besides . . don’t matter where you put the holes or how big they are, ALL Motiv balls react great !! ;)

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:51 pm 

I understand where you are going but I think the issue was with those that would put the "thumb" hole in places that could never be reached by the thumb thereby creating an advantage.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:03 pm 

I am not sure how it creates any "significant" advantage. I maybe wrong (I was once back in '77 :o ) but the previous rule stated that the "thumb hole" had to be reached by the normal placement of the hand or covered up by the palm of the hand when the thumbless person gripped the ball. This would place it in a very close proximity to where the thumb would "normally" be, thus it would be very similar to a ball drilled for a thumb welleding bowler. IMHO there is alittle too much discussion about these WH as they pertain to thumbless bowlers.

I think a better issue is (if my memory serves me correctly) a bowler must have only ONE (1) hand on the ball at the point of release. I have never done a slo-mo analysis but it sure looks like the top ranking thumbless bowlers have BOTH hands on the ball when they release it. If they do not, then my apologies, but it sure does look like it. Be that as it may, I stick w/my last paragraph of my earlier post . . you still have to be accurate & repeat shots !!

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:20 am 

JRDaniels4200 wrote:
I understand where you are going but I think the issue was with those that would put the "thumb" hole in places that could never be reached by the thumb thereby creating an advantage.

This is why I agree with the new rule. Size and location of the thumb hole can changed as desired, this will also change the location of the center of the grip.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]