MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Replacing Primal tv4
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:21 pm 

Hello, I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking to replace my primal tv4 with a current motiv ball. Which one out there do you think would be a good replacement? I'm thinking either a pin down octane or tribal fire. Thanks

Motiv Equipment:
Paranoia
Forza
Primal TV4
SR2
QZ2 Blue
Freestyle (pink/black)
Ascent Apex
Ascent Solid

Post subject: Re: Replacing Primal tv4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:06 pm 

This all depends on what you are looking for in ball motion. Can you provide more detail about your style of bowling? Speed, revs....

High Avg - 238
PBA member
Motiv Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:13 am 

sorry about the long time for a reply. as for my style, I'm a bit more rev dominant and my ball speed is usually around 15.5-16. thats what the screen tells me at least. haha I talked to another motiv guy and he said best fit for me would probably be a pin down octane. Your thoughts?

Motiv Equipment:
Paranoia
Forza
Primal TV4
SR2
QZ2 Blue
Freestyle (pink/black)
Ascent Apex
Ascent Solid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 am 

One of the issues I have in replacing older bowling equipment is comparing what the ball was intended to do versus what the ball is currently doing. For example, if you had a 2Cruel you really liked and after all this time you want to replace it, it would depend on how the ball is currently performing. Things like lane pattern, oil volume and ball maintenance practices will all effect the decision.

With that said, earlier Motiv pieces were more heavy rolling and not very skid/flippy. The newer pieces like the Octane do have a more common skid/flip look much like some Storm and Roto Grip pieces. Combine that with the changes in strength of covers and changes in oil technology, I would put the TV4 more in the medium to light oil category when compared to newer equipment.

If you are looking for a "replacement" then look at something like the Tribal or Tribal Fire.

If you are looking for a ball to complement your current arsenal, I would probably look to a Sigma Sting for the upper end of your arsenal.

I would be worried a little bit about having Motiv's most skid/flip ball, the Octane, as your "heavy oil" ball. I personally like to use skid/flip reactions as a step down after another ball, like the Sigma Sting, has begun to lose carry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:07 pm 

I agree completely with spmcgivern.

I'm currently looking to replace my Sigma Tour, I'm thinking a Tribal Fire or an Ascent. Tho the Tour and Sting are both considered moderate/medium balls, the Sting quite a bit stronger and more angular.

I can only imagine how insanely strong the JACKAL is going to be...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:17 pm 

Yeah, I have to agree that the equipment is really starting to look like storm and roto grip. Its one of the main reasons why I stopped using storm because everything they had was skid flip. I prefer heavy rolling ball companies, which is why I loved Motiv so much. Right now, I think I may just hold off on getting new equipment. I don't desperately need to replace my TV4, but it would be nice. I just got excited when I got the Ascent Apex and how good of a ball it is, I wanted to try something else new from Motiv. So who knows, I'm still undecided. Thanks for all the help though. :) I move back up to PA in JAN, I'll maybe get something then from the motiv proshop up there.

Motiv Equipment:
Paranoia
Forza
Primal TV4
SR2
QZ2 Blue
Freestyle (pink/black)
Ascent Apex
Ascent Solid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:43 pm 

I was thinking about this last night and I guess instead of asking what would be the best ball to replace a TV4, maybe the better question would be,

What is the best ball to go with the Apex. Right now, the Apex is one of my benchmark balls. That and the TV4. I get the skid flip with the apex and the heavy roll with the TV4. The TV4 is only 1-2 boards stronger than the Apex. (for me at least)

So, with that info, what do you think would be the best fit?

Motiv Equipment:
Paranoia
Forza
Primal TV4
SR2
QZ2 Blue
Freestyle (pink/black)
Ascent Apex
Ascent Solid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:31 am 

Motiv has come a long way in the development of their coverstocks and thank God they have! Although, at times, the older balls give us the shape & roll we desire, too many times on PBA and sport conditions, they just didn't make the turn going left to right when we needed them too. Through a lot of hard work by Brett, Dan, and others, Motiv has developed some of the best coverstocks in the biz. At 57, I can cover more boards when I need to than I could when I was 27! Until these recent coverstocks, I didn't know there was more lane surface inside 2nd arrow. :)

For a ball stronger than your Apex, Bowling Chef, take a look at an Octance, Primal Rage, and possibly a Revolt. The first 2 are alittle skid/flppy while the Revolt has a more strong, arcing motion. If you really want a significantly stronger ball than the Apex, wait until the Jackel comes out. Just drilled mine this week. Put a 42' flat sport shot out w/28 ml total & could NOT keep it on the right side. This ball makes me want to go back to USBC Nat'ls again! :lol:

For a ball 'lesser' than the Apex, look at an Ascent Solid, Tank, or (if you can find them) QZ1 blue/black. The coverstocks are less aggressive & may give you the look you desire. Hope this all helps and stay MOTIV-ated . . . in between cooking gourmet meals !! ;)

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:46 am 

Bob,

Do you worry about the large gap between an Apex and something like a Revolt? It seems there are about 2 levels in between those two balls.

Chef, you have a lot of lower end balls in his arsenal. Are you needing a significantly stronger ball, or do you need something just a step up from the Apex? I personally would lean more to the Sigma Sting or even the Venom Shock. I am afraid a bowler with a bunch of lower end stuff will not have a need for something as strong as the Covert Revolt, Primal Rage or the Octane.

The Primal Rage and the Octane are what I consider to be supplementary balls. By this I mean they are great balls to move to when a more even rolling ball has begun to burn up. Many people use skid/flip equipment as a first ball out of the bag, but most would have a better reaction with an even rolling ball then transitioning to a skid/flip ball when necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 am 

I understand you concerns, smpcgivern. I guess it depends on how big a jump a person wants to make & how many balls they can afford . . as well as what type of layout you put on the more aggressive ball. The Shock & Sting would definitely be good balls to fit in between the Apex & Revolt/Primal Rage/Octane. They are well worth considering.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next