MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: The **ALL NEW**Jackal from MOTIV Bowling!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:41 pm 

** http://youtu.be/watch?v=72Pf_jSNQII **

The Jackal™ is a power pearl with the unique ability to make an aggressive move in the oil, yet retain energy to continue through the pins with deadly force. Because the Jackal™ is strong in the mid-lane and retains energy so well for proper continuation, it is a great piece for a wide variety of bowlers. Obviously, low to moderate rev league bowlers will crush a house-shot with it and tournament bowlers will appreciate the Jackal™ because it is strong in heavy oil, but doesn’t quit.
- See more at: http://www.motivbowling.com/products/balls/jackal.html

Post subject: Re: The **ALL NEW**Jackal from MOTIV Bowling!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:11 am 

Great video. Really shows how the three different drillings shine and the comparison with other balls in the line was very useful. I am an older and slower bowler w/o the revs or speed you have and think this ball may be too much for me. I have a Rage which I usually use for game 1 and some of game 2 (sometimes all 3) before switching to the Venom Strike. These two compliment each other nicely for me. May give the Jackal a try though as my down and in shot kills me on 10 pins. More of banana-shaped shot seriously cuts down on them though and think the Jackal would give me more back end than the Rage and certainly the Strike.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:30 pm 

Hi Justin,

Great video! Really enjoy the commentary. I'm actually going to post my same question as I did on the Video in the comments.
I'm confused of the 3rd layout and the description. I've noticed this with the same layout on the other Asym ball videos. You say that the layout "Extends the hook phase" and allows you to move left and basically cover more boards. This doesn't make any sense to me. High Drill Angles cause the ball stay in the skid phase LONGER; Wouldn't a layout like 30x5x70 be more accurate of the description you explained? a lower drill angle would have the ball enter the hook phase sooner. Thanks for the clarification.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:58 am 

Short(quick) transitions and hook phases create less overall ball motion. The 70* drilling angle is to ensure procession acceleration happens at the right time based on me being slightly rev dominant. A 30* drilling angle wouldn't hook very much at all for me. On an asymmetrical ball with a .060 primary diff I wouldn't recommend a drilling angle less than 55 unless you are a speed dominant player.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:49 am 

Great video, Justin . . . and I really like that shirt you are wearing. ;) :D

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:13 pm 

Thanks for the reply Justin!

That tidbit about the 55 drill angle could be why I struggled with my Raptor Talon. It was one of my first Motiv balls (of which I'm exclusive to Motiv now and on a suppliers contract) and it was great out of the box, but I found it was just too strong. I'm pretty rev dominant at the moment and I couldn't use it on much of anything, it was so over under because it either hooked too much or simply rolled out.

I'm going to try a fairly different asym layout on my Jackal and I think it will help a lot. Something like a 55x4.5x65.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:42 pm 

If you are rev dominant don't be afraid of the 60-70* drilling angles. Can always start it up sooner if need be.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:44 am 

I also need suggestions for the new Jackal drilling . I have pretty low revs and throw between 18-19 mph . I have tried for years to lower the speed and increase revs but I just can't do it , so I need to work with what I've got I guess . I currently throw a primal rage in 1 center that has older wood lanes and hooks quite a bit. I absolutely love this ball in that center, but this ball is pretty much worthless in the synthetic center I bowl in . I can't make it hook even 1 board some nights . I need an extremely strong layout that doesn't start rolling too early . This is my current layout . Please help . A picture would be helpful because I am still learning about the angles and stuff . Thanks !

Attachments:
100_0326gif.gif
100_0326gif.gif [ 253.28 KiB | Viewed 3454 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:29 pm 

Hello Squid,

Well that layout in your Primal Rage is definitely a strong layout. Don't know your PAP but the layout would be close to max flare with the pin length and weight hole location.

If you think you need an extremely strong layout then your best bet is probably a Double Thumb layout. This will maximize the hook potential. Tell your ball driller to adjust the Drill Angle so that you feel comfortable the ball will not hook too early.

The numbers I would suggest based on this would roughly be 40* Drill Angle, 4" pin, and 30* VAL. So 40x4x30 with a P4 weight hole. Here's a link to Radicals drill instructions that have some information on Asymmetrical layouts as well as the Double Thumb layout.

http://radicalbowling.com/uploads/downl ... ayouts.pdf

Again this is a rough estimate. I'm assuming Justin would want some info on your axis rotation/tilt to fine tune the layout numbers. Suggestions are also in those layout sheets based on axis rotation and tilt.

Hopefully this makes sense and you find it helpful! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:03 pm 

I realize this probably should have went into the other forum but I thought it was relevant to this thread.

Justin, here's the layout I went with on the Jackal. 50x4.25x70

It's definitely much cleaner through the fronts but it still reads the midlane very nicely and it definitely has a much bigger movement on the backend. This layout gave me the control I was looking for from this big strong core in the Jackal. I'm very impressed and happy to replace my Talon in my bag with it. I would say it probably only hooks about 2-3 boards more in comparison but it's much more even off the breakpoint and controllable.

Thanks for suggesting to use a lower drill angle and convince me to not shy away from high VAL totals as well. Very happy with this piece.

Attachments:
jackal layout.jpg
jackal layout.jpg [ 170.67 KiB | Viewed 2950 times ]

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]