Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ball color combinations
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:37 pm 

Just a general question...

How important is the ball's color when you are looking to get a ball? Has there been a time that you got a ball mainly cause of the color? Or has there been a time you didn't get a ball cause of the color?

For me, color is important. There as been a couple times over the years that I didnt get a ball because it looked "ugly". And there has been a couple times that i felt the ball looked awesome, I'm going to get it. The venom toxin for example. haha

So how bout some feed back. Lets get this forum going again.

Motiv Equipment:
Paranoia
Forza
Primal TV4
SR2
QZ2 Blue
Freestyle (pink/black)
Ascent Apex
Ascent Solid

Post subject: Re: Ball color combinations
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:22 am 

The screaming orange of the original Recon was awesome, I never would have looked at MOTIV if it was not for that release. Also, it was the reaction I was looking for at that time.

I have bought balls solely based on looks in the past. But after drilling a few duds, I've become a little more selective. I do not like the Forza Redline colors, it gets dirty really quick and the yellow with the black and orange just isn't that appealing. That being said, with the success I've had from the MOTIV benchmarks I had to try it. If I like the reaction, I'll buy it no matter the color.

My team has purple shirts, purple team towels, 2 have the purple SST8s, we even have purple place mat with the team logo on it. So obviously there was a lot of talk about the Revolt Havoc last week. I love the look of that ball. But I've had very little success with aggressive early rolling balls. Despite loving the look of the ball, I'll likely not try one unless one of the reaction videos can change my mind.

The color/look of ball can be a deciding factor if I'm on the fence whether or not to buy a ball, but typically reaction is most important to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:28 am 

I try hard to look at my equipment as tools instead of getting emotionally tied to a particular ball or shape. By doing this, I somewhat eliminate the desire to force a ball when it shouldn't be used.

So for color specifically, it doesn't matter. Much like the color of you hammer doesn't matter, it is still a hammer and does the job of a hammer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:09 pm 

Color is not a huge deal for me. I try to look more at the performance of the ball then the color. I was surprised by the color of the Forza Redline but I have seen a few that had a hint of white swirl on it. But I would rather use a single color pearl than a single color solid ball.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:35 pm 

color does not matter to me, actually the uglier the better. gets people talking!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:14 am 

I'm a huge fan of red balls though I don't have any right now. I bought a Rage because of the color but also because it was the talk of the town. But, it didn't work for me but is doing great in the hands of a friend. The color of Revolt Havoc does nothing for me even though it may be the best ball for my shot. In the long run performance matters more than looks. The only gripe against light colored balls, Artic sniper, probably Forza Redline, is they look like crap after a few games. They just get too dirty looking though I guess they're no dirtier than any other ball.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:54 am 

jerrylee300 wrote:
matters more than looks. The only gripe against light colored balls, Artic sniper, probably Forza Redline, is they look like crap after a few games. They just get too dirty looking though I guess they're no dirtier than any other ball.

This is completely true. My orange Recon was impossible to keep clean. I have 12-15 games on my Redline, same thing. I've used PGS twice to get all the grit off the cover, spray cleaners and even PGC don't really get it all off. I call these "high maintenance" balls.

But I do like the bright colors revving down the lane, looks cool.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:19 am 

I think for me, color is important because I dont have a lot of money to spend on bowling equipment. So when I do finally get a new one, I want it to look good as well as perform good. (please don't take that as a shot to anyone else, just speaking for myself here. haha) I do agree performance should be number one when getting new equipment, but I will be honest when I say I have hesitated to get one because of how it looked.

Motiv Equipment:
Paranoia
Forza
Primal TV4
SR2
QZ2 Blue
Freestyle (pink/black)
Ascent Apex
Ascent Solid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:26 am 

Funny that you say that about the Recon RX1. With Orange being favourite colour that was also the reason why I bought it lol. Sadly, it just cracked the other week :( RIP Recon.

I like all the bright colours. The Forza Redline, Venom Panic, and now the new Covert Havoc all really pop. However I do like bright colours mixed together. Wouldn't mind seeing Motiv try some mixed colours again in some new releases, seen a lot of 1-solid colour type makeups lately. The original Forza I really liked with the grey and orange. I liked the Sigma Sting too. Typically colours don't bother me too much since I like mostly everything. Sometimes if the colours are too boring I don't get excited to throw it. Like the Storm IQ Tour before I was Motiv. Was a great ball, but was the most boring thing to look at. So I'm glad Motiv has some style.

Just for fun, my least favourite looking Motiv ball was the purple and green Ascent. I stopped throwing it because I really did not like the colour composition lol the new Ascent Apex looks great though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:06 pm 

Jellert1 wrote:
jerrylee300 wrote:
matters more than looks. The only gripe against light colored balls, Artic sniper, probably Forza Redline, is they look like crap after a few games. They just get too dirty looking though I guess they're no dirtier than any other ball.

This is completely true. My orange Recon was impossible to keep clean. I have 12-15 games on my Redline, same thing. I've used PGS twice to get all the grit off the cover, spray cleaners and even PGC don't really get it all off. I call these "high maintenance" balls.

But I do like the bright colors revving down the lane, looks cool.

I understand where y'all are coming from. However, light-colored balls don't get dirtier than darker colored balls. You just notice it more.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next