MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Help, in a slump
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:13 am 

Anyone else here ever been in a bowling slump?

I am in one and I am so frustrated, I'm contemplating giving it up...

So my question is, if you have been in a slump, what have you done to reset yourself to get yourself out of it? I dont know if its me, or if its the lanes, or if its all of the above, or none of the above.... I'm at my wits end. And I know you all can't do much to help me cause you can't see me bowl, so I'm asking what have you all done to get yourself out of a slump. I need some advice. Thanks

Motiv Equipment:
Paranoia
Forza
Primal TV4
SR2
QZ2 Blue
Freestyle (pink/black)
Ascent Apex
Ascent Solid

Post subject: Re: Help, in a slump
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:09 am 

Everyone hits a slump now and then so it is natural/normal. No reason to contemplate quitting the game . . especially at your age. On the physical side, you may have developed some bad habits that have creeped into your delivery over time. In a short period of time, you went from bowling in "Ground Hog Land" to bowling in North Carolina to bowling in Eastern Ohio. I'm sure they were 3 different and distinct bowling environments . . from lane conditions to climate (no one takes this in account) to the types of people you bowled with regularly and how they burn in the lanes.
First, try to relax and breath. We all love bowling and love to compete at it but it is not life and death, thus we need to keep it in perspective. I know that is easier said then done and I will try to remember my own words the next time I miss 5 ez spares in qualifying and miss the cut by 15 pins. :x
Second, maybe now is the time to step back and get some professional help. Two (2) excellent coaches in our area is Mike Shady in Erie, PA. and Ron Hatfield in Columbus, OH. They could probably straighten you out in 1 or 2 sessions. I have worked w/both and they are very, very good. You can PM me for their phone #'s.
On the mental side (and YES, bowling does require the use of the brain) lookup 'stuff' by Dr. Dean Hinitz. He is a sports psychologist that deals w/a lot of bowlers. I have met w/him a couple of times and have found our sessions very helpful. Here is a link to a youtube interview he did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRhcpRSkVL0

If we can agree on a day/time, I will be glad to help you. Give me a call whenever you can. Hang in there, your game will turn around soon. Just relax alittle and focus on the fundamenls. As always, stay MOTIV-ated !!!

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:45 am 

Thanks Bob, I'll give it a try. :D

Motiv Equipment:
Paranoia
Forza
Primal TV4
SR2
QZ2 Blue
Freestyle (pink/black)
Ascent Apex
Ascent Solid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:04 pm 

Bob has given some great information.

One thing I would also look at is determining what your expectations are when you bowl. Too often we set expectations that are based on results instead of based on what we control.

For example, bowling with the goal of shooting 600, hitting your average, making all your spares, etc. Instead, try to set expectations you can control such as hitting within 1 board of you mark for the night, using a spare ball for all spares, changing balls at the first flat corner. These are the type of concepts I have going into a night. I want to hit my mark within a board, not strike every time I hit the pocket. I can't control carry. Sometimes I get lazy and not use my spare ball and if I am not careful, I will miss an easy spare due to this laziness. Or sometimes I am late to change balls and my score will suffer. I know that once I leave a flat 10 (on a good shot) that it is time to change. Doesn't matter the situation (usually).

By doing this you can eliminate the stress and frustration you feel when something doesn't go your way. Good shot doesn't carry can be just bad luck. You executed your shot correctly, just didn't get the result you wanted. Learn from what the ball did and use that knowledge on your next shot. You should still be happy with what you did.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:20 pm 

well, the biggest problem I'm having is my accuracy has gone out the window. Sometimes I'll miss by 5 boards+. I know I have started a bad habit of coming up out of the shot instead of staying down. Also, I've always had a bad habit of shouldering the ball, so that is probably creeping back into it as well.

I am going to try some advice that a great coach told me when things get hard and frustrating. Instead of focusing in on everything you are doing wrong, focus on what you are doing correct. So next time I go out, I'll do my best to do that.

Motiv Equipment:
Paranoia
Forza
Primal TV4
SR2
QZ2 Blue
Freestyle (pink/black)
Ascent Apex
Ascent Solid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:01 pm 

One thing I can say about this, is even though you're in a slump, you haven't "lost it." If your game was at a good level just a couple months ago you obviously still have that skill, but sometimes you just get to the point where you feel like you can't do it, even though you can. I know this feeling pretty well because of some struggles I've went through recently but I know I still have the good scores on me.

One thing I can say is make sure your attitude is good and go in with a good mindset. It's hard to when you're in that position, but just fight through it. Going into a night of bowling expecting to do bad is the worst thing you can do. Confidence is key with our sport a lot of the time and if you don't have any, you'll never get out of the rut you're in.

Best of luck to you in the future and I hope your slump comes to an end. Just remember that you have it in you, just gotta put it all together and make it happen!

#getmotivated #bowlersmart
http://www.youtube.com/AustinClos

Get MOTIVated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:59 pm 

Well just thought i'd give an update...

Had a friend of mine ask me to sub for her and I was hesitant, but did say I could. I was using my forza and shot 187 and was thinking to myself... here we go, same ol same. But I buckled down, focused on staying smooth and steady, and shot 245 and 234. I'm ignoring the 666 series as any sort of omen, lol. I'm still not saying that I am out of my slump, but it does show me what I need to focus back on to start bowling well again.

So thank you Motiv Nation for all the support. :) I really appreciate it!

Motiv Equipment:
Paranoia
Forza
Primal TV4
SR2
QZ2 Blue
Freestyle (pink/black)
Ascent Apex
Ascent Solid

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]