MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: One pin spares
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:08 am 

I need some advice on how to avoid 1 pin spares. I easily lead most bowlers in town in leaving one pinners, usually the 7 or the 10. I am constantly in the pocket but leaving 4 - 5 one pins a game. I throw pretty much the standard down and in shot but can circle the ball a little. Its my understanding that one pin leaves are usually the result of the ball rolling out as it reaches the pocket. I change my position on the lane usually left or right but sometimes up and down. I try slightly different hand position. I try a little loft or even setting the ball early but still get the dreaded one pin leaves. I use the Vengeance to start the shift and sometimes have to go my Venom Strike later. It seems the straighter I can get the ball to the pocket the better I do. More angle usually equals more one pins, mostly the 10. I am open and appreciative of any and all advice.

Post subject: Re: One pin spares
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:38 am 

There can be a lot of reasons for the lack of carry. If you think the reason is the ball rolling out, then you should start the night with a weaker ball and see if that helps. The Vengeance is a strong ball and it might be rolling out on you.

Start with the Venom Shock and see if that allows you to save some energy. It might also be time for a refresh of the surface. If your ball is getting into a roll too early, you could also use a higher grit to delay the roll skid phase of the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:36 am 

I had the Vengeance resurfaced a few months ago and it was terrible after putting it back to factory specs. Don't know why but it just lost any reaction. I so had it taken to 3000 and it started working again. As with most bowlers I guess, we all have our days. Some days the Vengeance is a strike machine but most days it just leaves one pins all over the place. My bowling buddies keep recommending a start with the Strike since I seem to get a better reaction with it. Guess I should listen. Do you think more speed would help or make it worse. I'm an older bowler and probably throwing around 13 - 14 with, I would say, a decent rev rate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:59 pm 

Stay within your abilities. You shouldn't have to alter your speed too much to get the reaction you need, especially for THS. You might have to adjust the cover, but I would try the current surface and just start with it. Use it for a couple of weeks and re-evaluate.

If anything, you may need to slow down a hair to make sure the Venom Shock starts its reaction. Too much speed might get the ball down the lane too far before reacting causing you to come in behind the headpin.

Wish you the best of luck.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]