MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:44 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Question about Motiv refinishing guide
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:02 pm 

I need to refinish my Cruel Intent. I have attempted it a couple of times already, and it's just not giving me the reaction I'm looking for. It seems to either skid too long with little movement, or if I add surface, it burns up before the move. The Motiv Guide says that each grit should be used on "each section", but what defines a section? And How many? Using a spinner, the obvious section is half the ball. But some manufactures recommend 4 sides, others 6.

I typically do 4 with a 45 degree move between grits to get a cross hatch. This removes much more material, but I think still exposes fresh material. In doing this, am I adding too much surface then?

What does Motiv recommend?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Question about Motiv refinishing guide
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:33 am 

If you are going to be adjusting the surfaces yourself, you need to develop a repeatable procedure. Once you have a procedure, then it will become easy to troubleshoot what is required to get the exact surface you are looking for.

I would start here for a general understanding of what is required when adjusting surfaces:

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Surface_Modification

Secondly, if you are having trouble fine tuning your cover, I would suggest you finish the ball off at home with a higher grit than what you think you need. Once you get to the center, you can hand scuff to fine tune the reaction to get an earlier read. It is more difficult to use a lower grit and try to go higher by hand.

I would keep a slightly used pad of 1000, 2000 and even 4000 in your bag at all times. This will allow you to make minor changes as needed before competition.

Post subject: Re: Question about Motiv refinishing guide
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:18 pm 

finishing at a higher grit... I like that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try Friday.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]