MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:32 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Wooden lanes and medium heavy oil
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 pm 

I am now bowling on wooden lanes and medium heavy oil. About half way through the second game I am switching to my Venom Shock, but am having trouble with the first game on fresh oil. I was using a RotoGrip No Rules when bowling on synthetic lanes but not getting good results on wood. I am medium speed and revs. I would sure appreciate some feedback about a ball for the first games. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Wooden lanes and medium heavy oil
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:02 pm 

Sorry for the late reply. Combination of Hurricane Harvey here in Houston and no one really comes here anymore.

It would be difficult to suggest anything without more information. However, here is an approach on how you can tackle this issue:

1. Determine why your current equipment is not giving you the reaction you need/want. This is paramount before making any decision. Do you need more hook, less hook, earlier hook, later hook..... etc.

2. Can your current equipment be adjusted to meet this need? Sometimes a surface change or balance hole or even a redrill can give you what you are lacking. Many bowlers have a couple of balls that overlap so changing the surface of one (or more) can give you more separation and cover a wider range of conditions.

3. If number 2 doesn't work, then you will need to find a pro shop you trust. You don't want a pro shop to sell you something that doesn't fit your need. Sometimes a pro shop will try to sell you the new shiny toy that comes out next week, yet doesn't really know what it does. So you have to have trust in your pro shop.

4. This may be viewed as optional, but I prefer tried and true equipment. That new ball may look nice and may sound like it is what you need, but is it? Do you know anyone throwing it, liked it, hated it, put it on a pedestal or tossed it in a creek? There is a reason why balls like the HyRoad and Venom Shock and to some extent the IQ Tour are still around. They are successful and are proven as such. Maybe the new ball will be too, but be weary of sales hype.

What I would suggest is to go to a trusted pro shop with your arsenal and explain what your problem is. Explain what you have tried and what was the result. Hopefully the pro shop will be able to look at your equipment and determine a plan of attack for your shot. I personally know my house shot pretty well. I know what my issues are and what is required for me to be successful on those lanes. This makes future ball purchases far easier than going in blind with nothing more than saying medium heavy wood lanes. Not trying to be gruff, but you will need to do more homework to get the best results.

If you need a second opinion to bounce ideas off of, feel free to return here (return anyway, I am curious to see what you come up with). I am one of the last ones here and I will reply.

I wish you the best of luck.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]