MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Help needed with my SR2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:13 pm 

Good Morning,

Just got my first Motiv Ball. I had been with Track since 1989 and have never used any other ball. I can not see throwing an Ebonite product so I researched for months and decided to get Motivated with the SR2.
I have been using it for about 6-7 weeks now without any success. I wanted to give it time before I make any determinations until now and then ask for help.

Al little bit about me:

I throw 15Lb ball. 224 Ave. Friday Night Men’s League
I am a 70 degree tweener with high revs (375 – 395) from under the ball.
16.50-16.80 speed on a typical HS with a bit more in the middle.
Enjoy playing around 15-16 to 9-10. Staying away from the dry and the traffic.

A little about the ball & drilling: Picture attached

15Lb. Motiv SR2
5/8 Positive side weight
½ Finger weight
5/8 Top Weight
Stacked Leverage 2” Pin
PAP 5 ¼ - RT 0/0 Leverage hole on axis point

Kept box finish at first. The ball didn’t seem to roll up and chew the lane, turn over and drive. It seemed to travel on plane and stay there. To carry I had to hit the right angle to the pocket off the bump. Then got over and under reaction.
Then took the finish down to 1000 and it was a little bit better but it didn’t stand on its ear and drive and rip racks like my Tracks do with close to the same stacked leverage layout. It was like I had to throw it too precise to carry and didn’t cross boards well.

I read all the reviews and hear all the great feedback on the SR2 and wonder what’s up. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated because I really like the Co. and want to make this work.

Jim
Medina, Ohio

Track Aresenal Aggressive
Track Rule Delta 1
Track Equation 2

Attachments:
IMG_3412a.JPG
IMG_3412a.JPG [ 33.09 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help needed with my SR2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:52 pm 

My guess is that you may be used to seeing the hockey stick type hook associated with many other manufacturers balls today. MOTIV balls tend to be smoother arcing and more controllable. I have a SR2 and it does roll great. However, I cannot stand 30 and throw it to 7 at 45 feet and have it come booming back. What it does however, is ROLL very well. I have a GT1, which is a very aggressive ball drilled close to your SR2. It is clean through the heads with a little mid-lane pop. It does not cover a ton of boards though with that layout. I know others that have longer pins and have set the ball up to go a little longer. They report that the ball gets down the lane and then goes left hard. My suggestion is to take this ball to 800. It will still not cover a bunch of boards but should allow you to keep it in the oil and still have it react on the back hopefully. The other option is go to 4000 and polish. This should allow you to move right and play in the dry a little more without having the ball over react. I can tell you I have been using MOTIV balls in many tournaments and have been putting up some huge numbers. Give it a little time and keep working with it. Once you get a feel for the ball, I think you will be very happy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:17 am 

That pattern will be early and smooth, the pin appears to be 3 1/2" from axis with a short pin. The hole on axis helps, but you still have a pattern to promote early energy loss. Dull surfaces will help it match up to oilier conditions, but the general character of the roll will stay the same. You can take the finish up to give it a bit more bounce, but you may run into issues if your pattern is severely wet/dry.

I would suggest you either sand it for oil, plug and redrill, or punch a second one to be your long and strong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:42 pm 

Hi Bauller,

I feel your pain! My regular pro shop guy (who is also a dear friend) has been a little resistant to bringing on Motiv. I went to another pro shop and had the SR2 drilled up. The new guy didn't do a bad job, he just didn't drill the ball for "me". This equipment is so precise that if the craftsman (I consider ball drillers craftsman) hasn't seen you bowl or completely understand what you need and what you're looking for, it will not perform. I have since left my ball with my friend (and taken the proper amount of guff for going somewhere else) and fully expect him to fix the problem.
I have the SX1, GT1 and can't wait for June when the new products are introduced. I'm hoping for a great spare ball so I can be all Motiv all the time. In addition, there are rumblings about a new pearl!!!!
My SX1 has a serial number of 00164 and I'm very proud to say "Motiv would have to close their doors before I thought about buying from another ball company"
Take care and stay Motiv-ated!
Ed

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]