MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: New to Motiv
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:22 pm 

Hi everyone in Motiv-nation, I recently switched from roto and storm to Motiv and had a few questions for those throwing them.I just purchased the GT and TX 1.A little info on me.Right handed...ball speed around 15.5 at the reader which are at about 40 feet ...high revs so between a tweener and cranker ....pap is 5 1/8 over 1/4 up.Before this year a 213 avg bowler.This year has been a disaster as the house i bowl in cant put the same shot down 2 weeks in a row so the league avg is down on the whole by 10 to 15 pins.Anyhow like i said i wanted a change and went with Motiv as no one else in the house throws this equipment.Drilled up the TX1 first pin just above ring finger with mass about 1 1/2 right of thumb assuming mass is in line with pin and cg.... box finish with a weight hole just above center line out by pap.The GT1 is drilled pin just above and between fingers with pin in palm left of center which if it had a mass bias would put the spot just left of thumb.Used the Tx first on wed night league and the ball flared close to the thumb and fingers catching the thumb on first ring.Had a decent flare away rings about 4 inches total....by 3rd game had to switch to the GT which tracked similarly but the flare was only about an 1 1/2 wide .....Prior to throwing Motiv all my Storm & Roto equipment was drilled the same pin above mass kicked right about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from thumb and i'd track about 1/4 inch from thumb and start about 2 1/2 to 3 inches from fingers with a flare pattern closer to 5 or 6 inches....question is ....is it a cover adjustment to get a lil more flare on the balls or did my driller not put proper layouts in the balls to maximize their potential????

Post subject: Re: New to Motiv
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:36 pm 

First questions is was your PAP measurement taken off of your Storm/Roto Grip equipment? If so (and I'm assuming they were) are sure the PAP was measured correctly because if you truly track as close to the thumb/fingers as you say then your PAP has to be further from the center of your grip than 5 1/8" over. Have you made any release changes and/or changed your span, pitches, etc. that may have caused you to change your release? It does not surprise me that your flare size is reduced especially on the GT1 because that has the lowest diff. of any of the Motiv cores and thus will be the smoothest transition coming off the pattern. The thrust core in the TX1 is alittle more aggressive but not alot more. My customers have had success w/TX1 drilled basic label weight w/pin just right of RF and cg in or near the center of the grip. I recommend drilling most Motiv balls on the aggressive side, that is to say, 3 1/2" - 4 1/2" pins w/cg at or below the midline and placing a balance hole in the P3 or even P4 position. Most of my equipment is drilled this way. The best pin up reaction I've had is w/SX1, pin above RF w/hole @ P3. Love the way that ball reacts but it does have a stronger core than either of the GT1 or TX1.

Hope this helps and welcome to Motiv-nation !

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:04 am 

Bob my pap was taken using a plastic ball.Judging by what your saying the coverstocks are stronger then what i'm used to throwing with weaker cores as a result i'll probably have to tune the covers to get more flare ?Reading the specs i figured the GT was gonna be a monster hooker yet the one game i used it wed night i found it worked best playing straight up 10 and shot 266 with it while everyone else on the pair struggled with carrying by swinging anything else.I haven't seen that type of reaction in years.Reminded me of urethane reaction....I'm so used to swinging everything 15 to 8 or 20 to 8 .....hahaha....by hitting the GT with 4000 will it open the flare a lil giving me a touch more back end off the pattern or would a weight hole do that for me?The GT is drilled pin above bridge cg about 1/2 inch left of grip center.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:57 am 

I would try a weight/balance hole first in the P3 or if possible P4 position. This should open up the flare alittle. Then adjust coverstock. I have good success w/GT1 playing fairly straight on medium-to-lighter patterns. Worked real well on a 37' sr. regional pattern and I have another one coming up w/the same pattern so I can't wait.
The GT1 did not come out as a big hooking ball like I think they thougt it was. Think of a car . . the coverstock is the tires & the core is the engine. The GT1 has SUV tires w/Chevy Cobalt engine. Not a bad thing just have to use it on med.-heavy to med. light patterns, depending on your ball speed & rev rate. My GT1 has the pin below the bridge w/cg kicked out, 45 x 5 x 55 drilling.
Spoke w/Scott H. yesterday and they are doing extensive testing on new coverstock/core combinations . . and he is pumped about them (so am I). Can't wait to get my hands on the next generation of Motiv equipment.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:30 pm 

There is no doubt my TX1 way outhooks the GT and not that having a ball for when the heads are fried is a bad thing.Like i said i just wanted to see if a get a lil tiny bit more off the end of the pattern when i'm playing up the boards and not swinging it.I'll probably pull the GT out tonight and see what the look is right away and if i have to swing the ball switch to the TX.Is it my imagination also but the balls seem to soak up the oil quickly on the surface compared to most other balls...which requires being cleaned after every shift
.Should i invest in their cleaner and stay away from the polish?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:32 am 

The T and R covers will absorb quickly, the X cover no where near as much.

Power Gel Clean after each set, and Microfiber between each shot is a very good idea. Maintenance is a very important part of today's game.

The deal with the GT is that the cover is very strong, and the core rather weak. A strong drill on the GT isn't as dynamic as the same drilling on the other balls. What this means is that the core compliments the cover to prevent burn. Often when laid out weaker the GT appears to not hook. A P3 or P4 hole will do to help increase the differential, and will give you a bit more overall hook, but won't give more only in the backend.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]