MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Getting my 1st MOTIV...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:47 am 

Getting a TR2 tommorrow. I've heard alot of good things about MOTIV and with the suggestion from my coach I'm gonna get it.
Right now I'm more speed,less rev player and I started to go to this coach to slow up and generate more revs. He says as I progress we can adjust surface and build an arsenal from there. I've got mainly Hammer gear now but I'll be getting new gear instead of redrilling old gear with the new pitches and spans adjustments he made after a grip analysis. Plus to be able to support a Made in USA product so close to home,I live in north central Illinois, and be throwing gear totally different than anybody in our house is another plus.

Post subject: Re: Getting my 1st MOTIV...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:30 pm 

Glad to see you making the move, I wish I could say the same about my home lanes, but seems like atleast one other person is throwing motiv while im either in league or practicing. The TR2 sounds good for you, that coverstock rips through the oil, so with medium revs and alot of speed you should be very happy with the end result.

Motiv-ate your game
(R)QZ1/GT1/SR2/SX1

Sig T soon I hope, Maybe a Raptor for X-mas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:05 pm 

Ditto's to what blueliner said. If you are more speed then revs the TR2 in da' ball for you. If comes OOB @ 800 grit finish. Keep it that way for alittle while to see how it reacts for you. Make slight surface adjustments as may be needed. Good luck & welcome to Motiv-nation!

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:46 pm 

After my lesson tonight I got it all set up drilled and then league started and no lane avaliable to give it some real throws....just a few to make sure it would come off the hand good on the carpet. So I'll definately be going to the lanes tommorrow to throw it for a few and give my initial thoughts on the ball. It's definately a good looking ball...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:04 pm 

The TR2 out of the box really does require a good amount of oil. If it doesn't finish or carry properly, taking the surface up to 2k or 4k Abralon helps the ball conserve enough energy to finish in a more "normal" league environment. Polish is an option as well. One thing that is really great about the Motiv gear is how responsive they are to changes in surface prep. As your arsenal grows you will find surfaces that match up with your playing environment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:28 pm 

Justin.... I've heard from several people that touching the surface on the TR2 is a bad idea, however from what I've read on here you suggest altering the OOB surface, is it just that a lot of people are doing it wrong?

Motiv-ate your game
(R)QZ1/GT1/SR2/SX1

Sig T soon I hope, Maybe a Raptor for X-mas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:02 pm 

blueliner011 wrote:
Justin.... I've heard from several people that touching the surface on the TR2 is a bad idea, however from what I've read on here you suggest altering the OOB surface, is it just that a lot of people are doing it wrong?

If the ball doesn't finish OOB, 2k or 4k Abralon will allow the ball to get down the lane and retain energy for the backend. The 800g surface is extremely aggressive and prone to early burn on league shots in a majority of cases. Proper surface adjustment is one of the more critical factors in ball reaction. Can't say whether others are doing it wrong or not, but mismatched surface, layout, and playing environment makes for a long night.

Edit- I'm a proponent of throwing a ball OOB to establish the baseline reaction and tweaking from there. You can significantly impact the reaction shape and carry by adjusting from 500 to 4k Abralon before even considering polishes or compounds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:51 am 

I finally got to throw it on friday night in the mixed league I bowl in. It was really flooded on the outside for some reason,not at all typical of the house shot there. I just started to learn to swing it,I 'm usually a down and in player but slowing ball speed and increasing revs is opening up a new world to me. It took me a lil while to get hooked up with the ball but when I did it,she found the pocket really well. I'm liking what I've seen so far and can't wait to get more consistant with the swing play...Then I know this ball will get alot of play from me and will definately be looking for additions from MOTIV to my line-up...Yep Definately MOTIV-ated...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:44 pm 

Justin is correct on his concepts for changing the surface of the ball. I also like to throw a ball for alittle while w/OOB finish to see how it reacts. On THS around here the TR2 is usually too aggressive & burns its' energy before the end of the pattern, therefore, I don't use it on THS. Motiv has plenty of other options for the "house china". However, if the TR2 is your only Motiv ball & you want to use it on league night, you may definitely want to try what Justin suggested and bring the finish up to at least 2k first to see how it reacts. You will get more length and should get a strong reaction off the pattern. Good luck & welcom to Motiv-nation.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:30 am 

I have to agree with these guys when I say that taking some of that surface off the ball is a good idea, for 2 reasons. First, like stated, on a league condition that ball could burn up all of it's energy and not finish correctly. Secondly, it sounds like you've been working on your game while being a down-and-in player. For now, you should probably stay down and in, with the ballspeed, and when the lanes get broken down, practice moving in and swinging out. I'm just basing off of my experiences. Eventually, you'll miss down-and-in, and want it back! Learn to love it!

-Jason
Cincinnati, OH

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next