MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Wood vs. Synthetic?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:07 pm 

I'm doing the city tournament here in San Antonio on the 17th of this month and the place we would be bowling at has wooden lanes.

Is there really that big of a difference between the wood and synthetic lanes? If so, what should I expect and what kind of changes should I be looking to make?

I'm looking for any help that I can get and I plan on practicing over at the wooden lanes for the next few weeks before the tournament starts to get a feel for the place, but just wanted to know about any other tips.

Post subject: Re: Wood vs. Synthetic?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:26 pm 

well this is a loaded question......wood lanes sure will hook more but it depends on how old/worn the lanes are ?

Oil tends to burn up quicker on wood than synthetic lanes going to prac on them will give you an idea of how to play them

TURBO Staff Member
IBMA International Bowling Media Association Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:41 pm 

I'm not exactly sure how hold they are at this place as I have never bowled there myself. I would assume they are in decent shape if they are going to hold the tournament at that place.

I'll definitely be able to provide more feedback on Monday since that is when I plan on going over there to practice.

It kind of sounds like my Recon might be a good ball to use at this place if it does dry up that quick.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:00 pm 

I don't necessarily agree with the assumptions made already here. When I shot 778 two weeks ago, it was on a wood surface, even with some wear in the heads and a bit of separation between boards, I didn't have to move at all. So much of this depends not only on the shape of the finish, but the equipment used to dress the lanes, as well.

In general, you will find that most synthetic surfaces, when compared to a wood surface, will be more extreme in their reaction pattern; ie. when there is oil in a spot, it tends to be slicker, and when they are clean, they tend to hook harder (create more friction with the ball). Wood seems more mellow, by comparison.

That includes the Guardian and LaneShield products, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:06 pm 

Thank you for the feedback as it is much appreciated by me! I am not really even sure what oil pattern they plan on using for this tournament.

I'll probably get a little more info about that on Monday to prepare my stuff for it as I'm hoping I can take my Backdraft into the tournament.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:24 pm 

I never like to come into a tournament or event with preconceived notions especially if you don't know the pattern as they may cloud your judgement by what you think your "supposed" to do. You seem to have a pretty big arsenal of balls and a good understanding of what each of them can accomplish so i recommend making good shots in practice and then making an accurate assessment once your there. Good luck man report back with good scores!

Mike's Pro Shop Miami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:00 pm 

I can't really blame you for feeling that way and I don't think that I would want to just be told what the shot is and then think what I am suppose to do either.

I'd rather play on the shot for a bit and get my understanding on what would work best from my arsenal. If anything, it seems like most tournaments held around here use heavier shots.

Hopefully since my doubles partner use to actually manage that place. We can have the shot put down for the few days we might go over there and practice before the 17th and that'll help me even more with knowing what I should or shouldn't bring with me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:53 pm 

Good idea and good luck!

Mike's Pro Shop Miami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:00 pm 

Thanks and I'll definitely be reporting all updates!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:57 pm 

you also tend to slide more on wood than sythnthetics on your approach

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next