MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: new raptor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:47 pm 

I bought a new raptor. I see 2 used ones already on ebay. I'll take any suggestion before I drill it. I'm thinking 50x5x60..I'm low-med rev. 15mph, 13* tilt, PAP 4 9/16, 7/8up..I like it down and in..thanks

Post subject: Re: new raptor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:44 pm 

Not to muddy the water any, but if you feel you are low to med rev, like Justin said, you will want to find friction with that drilling to get the ball started, so, you may want to alter those numbers to 45 by 4.5 by 55, just to get the ball started a bit earlier (without having to maybe change the surface so much). Just an afterthought, especially considering you like to play down the boards, and seemingly up the oil line. Most likely, either drilling will need an X hole to make the ball "static legal"; I have a P3 hole in mine to enhance the ball motion, even with my rev rate. I'm going to say that a P3 or P4 will suit you fine, but you'll have to throw it a bit first to be sure (have your ball driller watch you to confirm this decision, and hopefully they're familiar with Mo's Gradient Line system).

If you don't mind swinging the ball, even just a bit, this layout will really open the lane up for you (either set of numbers). I'd go with the first set of numbers if you have lots of hook where you bowl as the norm, but the second set of numbers if there is a good amount of oil in the middle on your league shot.

And don't forget that you can alter the surface to get the ball started earlier (2000 grit or lower), or add polish to the 4000 box finish to get the ball to delay more if needed. You'll just have to drill it, practice with it for a few games, and make a decision with good info.

Clear as mud yet? LOL. Let us know how you go forward, and let us know the results, too. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:14 pm 

those 2 used raptors on ebay scared me, being such a new ball. they have the pins above the finger holes. the 50x5"x60 the pin is below the finger holes. maybe that's where they went wrong, bad layout. I just wanted to be sure. I had to get my cruel le redrilled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:02 pm 

The ball that is listed as the Buy It Now for $120 looks to be a bad layout for my axis coordinates; It looks like it wouldn't do anything by maybe arc on the back end.

The second would be like a 60 or 65 by 5 1/4 by 40ish for me, and is what I got away from with my plug/redrill.

Might work OK for some, but I don't have enough hand for that layout in the Raptor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:32 pm 

ok got my 14lb 2oz. raptor today . had the guy drill it 50x5x60. I just threw it a few times. long day, but I did notice on the box it has a 2.4 top wt: and a 3.9 pin. I know I asked for 3, what does that mean? Also he said the ball needed no p hole. In the photo you sent that layout on a ball, using my PAP, shows the pin below finger. the finger hole took-out the pin on my ball? I'll be throwing it saturday. also the ball has a .59diff. all are listed with 60? why are things so difficult

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 am 

Anything close to 3" and 3 oz is versatile enough to do pretty much anything with.

The diff is slightly lower in 14lbs. The primary published specs are for 15lbs.

As long as the whole pin came out you will have no troubles. When you take half now, you will get half later.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:49 pm 

It sounds like you are in good shape.

Just don't forget that even though you have chosen a layout, you can augment or retard said reaction by altering the surface.

Never be afraid to fine-tune your reaction with surface adjustments to get it just the way you want it.

You don't need a P hole to be legal, which is OK; you can still use them to enhance ball motion if needed, too. Surface adjustments can do the same thing, but are less permanent.

Let us know how you fare.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:58 am 

I tried the raptor (60x5x50) last night first time. I tried it at my lanes(league). I watched the guy oil the lanes. they were fresh. Great time to break out the raptor. we had 10mins. practice, I ended up using my cruel LE(1000grit). I expected the raptor to have more hook then the cruel LE. Change the finish? that seems to be popular with raptor owners.I'm sure I could get the 10 pin easier with the raptor then the cruel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:11 pm 

If you can throw the Cruel at 1000, don't be afraid to move your Raptor to that surface, too.

Experiment a bit (practice outside of league) to help you dial in a good reaction so you'll be ready to smash pins come league time!

Good luck, keep us updated, please.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:51 pm 

I guess, it just dosen't seem right, that you have change the complection of the ball to get it to do what advertised. If I take it down to 1000 grit, it will be like my cruel LE. I don't need another LE. I expected the raptor to be much different. I also have an og cruel, both preformed great right out of the box.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next