MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:43 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Alternate Drilling for Injured Finger?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:36 am 

I've been dealing with an injured middle finger on my bowling hand for the last three months. Until the Dr's can figure something out I was wondering about doing an alternate drilling. Have you guys heard of or used a drilling using the ring finger and a finger other than the middle one? I had talked to my proshop guy about drilling a ball up for the index finger and ring finger, but I was worried about the index finger hole possibly ending up being in my track. What about using the ring finger and pinkie finger? Does that sound even doable? A friend had suggested just using my thumb and ring finger, but doing that I don't feel like I have enough control of the ball let alone enough rotation.
I can bowl with pain, but due to that I'm inconsistant...bowling decent 200's with an occasional sub 200 game thrown in there due to thinking about and compensating for the injured finger. Any ideas and/or help would be greatly appreciated.

RX1 O
SR2
Cruel LE

Post subject: Re: Alternate Drilling for Injured Finger?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:55 am 

The pinky will actually provide more leverage than the index.

A couple of years ago I cracked up my middle finger pretty good. I threw an insert in for my pinky and bowled like that for a couple of weeks. Shot a couple of mid 600s before I could start using the middle finger again with 1" reverse.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:06 am 

Thanks for the reply. So, should I plug the middle finger hole for now (while it is drilled for the pinky)? If not I wasn't sure what that would do the weight balance? Not bowling is killing me, but bowling with intense pain isn't much of an enjoyable alternative. I'll talk to my proshop guy about it, he seems to be a very knowledgable ball driller. I'm thinking even with a different drilling like we're talking about....if I can throw without the pain I should be able to adjust and throw some decent series. I
've only bowled twice in the last two and one half months, but both time if I threw out the first game (adjusting to the hand and figuring out how to throw with less pain) I'd be averaging a somewhat respectable 202.

RX1 O
SR2
Cruel LE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:14 am 

You should be able to leave the middle alone, drill the pinky first then check it. You will notice the ball sits more in your palm, and you will spin it a little. You'll probably rev it up a bit more as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:26 am 

Thanks for the assistance. I will try that out as soon as possible. Now I just have to decide which of my bowling balls I wish to donate to this experiment. I hate to drill another hole in one of the balls I already have and like. Maybe I'll see what used balls my proshop guy has laying around or what I can pick up cheap used online. I sure don't want to spend a lot of money on a nice, new Motiv to try this out!!! :shock:

RX1 O
SR2
Cruel LE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:18 am 

One thing you might want to try also is shortening the middle finger and adding reverse to take some of the pressure off. Just adding to Justin's comments best of luck

RC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:04 am 

I've injured that middle finger as well. All i did was just shift my hand over and stick my ring finger in the middle finger hole, and my pinky in my ring finger hole. Bowled like that untill all was well. No need to mess with drilling anything. Worked for a buddy of mine who had cut his finger and had to let it heal a few weeks.

Gt1 - 1-300 1-289 1-287 1-280 5-279
Rx1(Orange)
Sr2 - 1-290 1-279
Tv4 added!50x45@4.75" - 1-289 2-279
Venom Toxin MOtion hole 1-276 1-300(p)
4 - 300's 1 practice
high series 791-796-785-824

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:54 pm 

Thanks for all the replys. I'm going to look into doing this (the pinky idea) over this next week. I wish my finger would finally get back to normal. I'm dying to throw my Recon (bought after the injury and barely thrown), plus I'd like to pick up a QZ2 (to compiment my QZ1P) and possibly a Cruel. That would give me Recon, QZ2, QZ1P, Cruel, and a TR2. Hmmm, I still want to pick up a SR2 though :P

RX1 O
SR2
Cruel LE

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]