MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Ball Advice
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 am 

I have been a hobby bowler for a while and just joined a league. I have a 17 yr/old urethane ball. Of the three games I bowl a 125, 165 and a 175. This has been my pattern for 3 weeks now. I feel like I have to force the ball to go and do what I need to get strikes.

I went to the pro shop to get fitted for a new ball he wrote down pap h:6 1/16 v: 1/4 and said I have higher speed and slower rotation. I went in to get a primal scream and he said I should not get that ball. He said it was a high end ball and I should not get that yet, and that he was not a fan of Motiv's. He recommended some symmetrical balls like IQ Tour, Marauder and C-System maxxed out. The pro shop I went to is a AMF lane and the gentleman seemed knowledge able, but he seemed to discount Motiv balls too soon for me. After he watched me bowl he was looking over the balls to figure out what to recommend he kept mumbling to him self "no top end" but he kept looking at top shelf balls. So I am not quiet sure what is behind his decision making process.

This is the second shop that I have been to. The first shop the owner is using Motive balls and his family and friends are using Motiv's and he loves them. However his prices were ridiculous. The biggest part is he never asked me how I bowl and just blindly said the Scream would be great.

So I think you can see my dilemma. If I buy the scream against the shops recommendations will he put in the effort to help me dial it in?
I live in RI and there are not a lot of shops that seem to have a knowledgeable enough staff to assist me. I love the cosmetic look of the ball, the look of its track on the lanes and the excellent pin action and follow through.

My wife will call me crazy for writing to the manufacturer of the ball I want to convince me to get there ball and to disregard a pro-shops advice after they watching me bowl. However I think you can see I am still newish to the sport and do not feel like I have gotten sound advice so far. Thank You

Post subject: Re: Ball Advice
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:19 pm 

Stepping from urethane to a high end resin ball can sometimes be a bit of a shock, as it moves you significantly deeper on the lane. Starting out with something like an Ascent solid or a Thrash would allow you to adjust to resin with a bit more predictable ball motion. Opting for something that turns strongly as soon as it sees friction can lead to a longer period of adjustment to newer ball motion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:47 am 

First thing you may want to do is find a 3rd pro shop that you will fill comfortable going to & get ball work done. I almost never recommend a specific ball unless I see the person throw a few shots first. The type of bowler the bowler thinks he/she is can often be different than the type of bowler they really are. Check the Pro Shop Locator on this web site, there may be another shop close by you weren't aware of.
With that said, I agree w/Dr. J's recommendations of an Ascent Solid and/or Thrash. Both are good balls to get your feet wet using Resin equipment w/o spending a ton of money. They are smoother reacting ball off the pattern & won't be over/under reaction. Hope this all helps, good luck, and stay MOTIV-ated!

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:05 pm 

Find another shop the Ascent line is a good place to get your feet wet with. The solid is amazing I find myself using it more then I do with my Primal Scream. Also don't be afraid to change the cover stock also I took mine to 3000 abralon then added a touch of polish and it was beast in this condition. Motiv makes some great equipment and stands behind their equipment they don't let blems into the market like other companies do.

TZ3
Primal Scream

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:23 pm 

Look around for another shop. Trust me. I had the same issue you are going through and got very similar responses from the members of this board.

My area is pretty pro-Storm pro-RotoGrip and anything else is junk. When I purchased my first Motiv ball, the first shop I ordered it from just punched it up as soon as it came in. Didn't see me throw, didn't ask what kind of conditions I was going to throw it in, etc... I was very unhappy. Second shop I went to said "PAP is just a marketing strategy". Needless to say, I did not return there. Finally (about 30 miles away) I found a shop that at least took my stats, watch me throw a whole game and then drilled up the ball (eventhough he said Storm was the way to go).

I'm much happier at the new shop. If you feel uncomfortable, probably in the wrong spot.

Primal Scream - 70x70@3.75
Ascent Solid - 70x45@6"
Ascent Pearl - 70x70@6"

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]