MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: New Bowler / First Ball
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:40 pm 

I got a 14lb Venom Toxin for christmas. I am a new bowler and this is my first purchase. As of yet, I do not have a consistent release. I have been throwing thumbless because house balls are uncomfortable and I can't get them to hook otherwise. I plan on using my thumb on this ball.

I am in the military in Korea and I have my doubts as to how good the pro shop here is going to be with drilling. Because I don't have a good release yet, I don't think I can get a good PAP (not sure if the pro shop would even try). Any ideas on how I should approach getting this ball drilled?

Post subject: Re: New Bowler / First Ball
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:52 pm 

A good standard layout puts the pin just below your ring finger, with the CG (the punched dot) at/close/toward the center of your grip. This layout is very good for the Gear core balls (GT1, Venom Strike, Venom Toxin) assuming you do not spin the ball when you throw it using your thumb.

Another good * layout puts the pin on the center of grip line, just above the fingers. Good length with nice punch on the backend for most people.

BTW- if you do find your PAP, a PAP-to-pin distance of 3 3/4" to 4 1/2" works the best.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:22 am 

Thanks for the advice. Not sure what you mean by this though. I do plan on hooking it.

plamormick wrote:
assuming you do not spin the ball when you throw it using your thumb.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:39 am 

Thanks for the advice. Getting it drilled tomorrow, I will report back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:44 am 

Had it drilled and tried it out today. He did pretty much what I expected: started measuring, fitting my hand to the test ball, and didn't pay any attention to me.

Ended up with the pin slightly up and to the right of my grip. Turned out okay as this is what the guide had for the leverage layout. The few times I could actually get the ball to hook it when long down the lane and hooked violently at the end. Was pretty cool to watch. Unfortunately, I can't repeat that release and was only able to do it a few times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:38 pm 

It sounds like they put a '*' drilling in your ball, instead of investigating your game by watching you bowl first. Too bad.

But, all is not lost.

If you find that the ball is not responsive enough, that means that you may need to adjust the surface of the ball to enhance or change your ball's reaction characteristics. Perhaps another visit to the shop is in order to ask for a surface change. I would suggest starting with a 3000 grit Abralon finish. Throw a game with it with the new surface and determine if you are getting enough hook. If so, good deal. If not, you could go ask to have the shop operator change the surface to 2000 Abralon. The lower the grit, the more 'tread' the surface has on a microscopic level. The more tread, the better it will handle the oil.
BTW, the available Abralon pads currently are : 4000, 3000, 2000, 1000, 500, 180. The smaller the number, the more rough the surface will end up.

I hope this helps.
M

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]