MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Layout Help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:37 pm 

Hi,
Looking for help with a layout for a Venom Shock. My specs are as follows: Speed 16.4, Revs 270, Tilt 12*, Rotation 45*. I will be bowling on wood lanes, THS. I prefer a banana shape. I read Wendy Arnolds write-up on the ball and see we are almost the same spec wise. Can I use a layout similar to hers? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Layout Help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:23 am 

The only concern would be the conditions Wendy bowls on are different than what you bowl on (unless y'all are teammates). Plus, I don't think Wendy bowls on any wood lanes since pretty much all centers in Houston have changed to synthetics.

With that said, I would consider her drilling a good starting point in the discussion with your pro shop. Depending on your PAP measurement you will need to ensure your resulting ball is legal (static weight).

In other words, I hope you trust your pro shop. They should be able to set you up properly. If they suggest something that is dramatically different than what Wendy has you can ask questions, but they know your game the best along with the conditions you bowl on. I would trust them before I blindly copy a drill I see someone else have.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:24 pm 

Thank you for the reply. The gentleman that used to drill my balls has retired and closed up shop. The small house that I bowl in does not have a pro shop and the closest house that does is 90 min away. I was looking for a starting point so when I do take the ball in I can give this info to the ball driller. My pap is 6" over x 1/2" up. Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:42 pm 

So you seem to be in a predicament.

I finally got the stats for Wendy's ball (as long as she has one Venom Shock), they are 80 x 4 x 70.

This type of layout seems well suited to playing a shot that may see a lot of dry such as short sport shots or for blending out severe wet/dry conditions. I see these type of conditions at tournaments and on synthetics without much buff at the end of the pattern. The 70° VAL will provide a long hook zone.

As for you, wood lanes can have a significant range of performance depending on the upkeep of the lanes. Freshly resurfaced lanes can behave like high-friction synthetics and worn wood lanes can act like a parking lot. Either way, the lanes will typically behave drier. Because of this, my first instinct would be to have your VAL a little smaller (putting the pin higher in relation to your grip). This will allow the ball to have a shorter hook zone. I would then adjust the surface to make sure you can get through the heads since the heads on wood lanes can be very high friction. I would also entertain the idea of having the Pin-PAP a bit higher in the 5" range. But this would have to be checked to make sure you don't flare over any holes.

After all that, I would still be hesitant since I haven't seen you bowl or know how you like to bowl. Hopefully the pro shop you go to can watch you bowl to get a better idea. Let them know how you like to bowl at your center and also the ball you normally use along with the line you play. This should give them enough to go on to get you in the ball park. Surface adjustments along with balance hole placement can get you the rest of the way. (And on the concept of balance hole, if it were me, I would request the pro shop NOT put a balance hole in until I have tried the ball out at your center. Even if it is statically illegal. You don't have to use it in league. This way you can get closer to your goal reaction you want.)

Good luck and keep us updated!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:32 pm 

The lanes were stripped and refinished a couple of years ago. I'm not sure how they are oiled because I have never seen it done nor seen an oiling machine.
For a layout I was looking at 70x5x50. I was looking for a reaction similar to the one shown in the ad for the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:46 am 

That is a good general layout. Key thing is to not get exotic. Based on your PAP, that will put the Pin close to your ring finger so make sure you understand having a Pin that close to a hole can lead to cracking. I personally don't let that deter me, but I know some people who abide by the 1" rule of not putting the Pin that close to a hole.

Once drilled, adjust the cover to get the ball to the spot on the lane you want the reaction to start. If you need a stronger or weaker reaction, then you can add a balance hole to enhance the reaction.

Good luck!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:05 pm 

Thank you. I will use this as a guide when I go to get the ball drilled.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:45 pm 

I would like to get some layout help but seems that nothing ever gets posted maybe some one can help me with that. THANKS!!!! :?:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]