MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: An odd drilling idea for my new Motiv SX1
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:45 pm 

Well...
I started bowling just this past year. I bowl a right handed shovel, no thumb, 14lbs. My fingers are inserted only about halfway to the first knuckle (1/4 in.), and the tips of my fingers are getting a beating. If I insert them any more the revs are too high.

Youtube vid of approach -WARNING- loud, heavy music

I've since joined a league and significantly improved my approach and delivery. (up 75-100 pins)
I have this idea on drilling my ball, but I would like your input on it. Also, if there are any regulatory issues, since there is no specifics in the USBC rules on hole bevels.

In the attachment below there are 3 pics. First is my current drill pattern. The second consists of my idea. It shows elongating the bevel towards my palm (in red) with my track in green. The third is my hand in the ball. The ball does have a thumb hole, it's just out of frame.
Attachment:
odd_drilling_idea.png
odd_drilling_idea.png [ 95.91 KiB | Viewed 920 times ]

Any help and/or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Johnni <DK>

Post subject: Re: An odd drilling idea for my new Motiv SX1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm 

I believe something like that would be legal (USBC) being that the "elongation" does reach a diameter larger than 1 1/4" - including the hole. Anything that breaks the surface of the ball going into it, must not exceed 1 1/4" in diameter. Thus, if your finger holes are 3/4" in diameter, you could elongate the hole towards your thumb another 1/2" inch = 1 1/4". Another thing you could do here is, have the ball plugged and add reverse(away) pitch to the fingers, this will/should reduce your rev rate or go up to 15lbs..... Just my take on the rules, but we know how they can be bent around when it comes to these types of things.

Brian
MOTIV Staff
www.motivbowling.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:29 pm 

Those are teardrops, a technique that was very popular in the 50s and 60s. The issue is that it will be counterproductive to your end goal. The teardrop induces more flesh surface area contact and won't reduce your rev rate.

As suggested, pitch adjustments will be the best way to help you increase your tilt and reduce your rev rate. I would start with 1/8Rev in the middle finger, and go out to 5/8Rev in the ring finger. You don't need to fully plug the ball, merely fill the holes near to the top and redrill them with the appropriate pitch in the same place.

I believe the ball in the picture is an Ebonite Mega Hook X, or something close to that. It is a Sporting goods store ball, with a 3-piece pancake block and particle cover. The leveraged nature of the pattern on it is partly to blame for your excessive hook. Also, if that ball does not have a weight hole in it, have a shop check it for excess side. in a pancake ball with no dynamic core statics will matter, and you have quite a bit of label shift. Find your PAP and place a hole on it to help remove some side and tame it a bit so you can use your whole fingertip.

Beyond this ball there are layouts you can use to help control ball reaction. 14lbs isn't a bad idea as you will have ample carry and have a better chance to get some speed to match the rev rate.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:53 am 

Thanks for the info. funny thing I had a talk with the owner of the pro-shop. In fact, I just started as a short order cook at my bowling center. And I went over the same thing. He suggested to pitch the holes away as well and he's going to give me some more room for swelling. We're gonna hold off on anything else. I figure if I change it too much, I may totally mess myself up. small steps!

Justin, your right. On a whim I got the ball for $15 after discounts from S.Auth. The ball is now basically done for, coverstock wise. And I've learned to pick up a mean spare with it. I'm prolly going to just going to have him open it up a 1/2 size and give it a high gloss polish.

Let's see if I can top my personal best (221) tomorrow morning with my Motiv.

BTW: I got all of my Motiv gear in today workmanship is beautiful. not a single blemish on the ball and the 2 ball tote, just wow. My wifes B-wick has a small ripple and 3 tool marks with a sticker that said "Made in Mexico" CRAPPY! God bless the USA!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:44 pm 

First of all... Welcome aboard. I love how the newcomers recognize the great importance of the motiv workmanship & of course the whole USA thing.
As for your new ball, i hope it works great for you, i know it did for me, but im on the opposite end of the spectrum where i had to really work hard on my release to get it to where it is now. Probably around 230 revs and 15-16 mph at the hand. But if the SX1 doesnt provide u the look u r wanting, please dont give up on the company, as the sx1 has a very game specific core (low rg/high diff w/ a weak cover) while, ive had great results with mine, ive often heard others say it reved up too fast.
I hope it works wonders for u, as it did me. But like i said if its not the look u r after try a rx1s or even qz2 before making up your mind.

G/L and again...welcome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:42 pm 

Thanks.
Great news, on Monday I posted 102 pins over average in the first game. In the second +50 and the third only +10. (I've had it for 10 days.) I had it drilled pin over ring with more forward pitch in the fingers. Drilled out the thumb in my usual position (for carrying it only) I also had him drill it a bit big for swelling towards the end. I love this ball. I have the pro-shop swearing by Motiv now and is getting his son a Cruel. I'm still working on getting him to carry Motiv in-house.....soon ;)

Thank you Motiv Staff / Team / Board Crawlers!
~DK

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]