MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Surface change on Tag
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:34 pm 

Hello MOTIVNATION,
After trying out different brands over the past five years, I've come back to Motiv and now have an Octane Burn and Grafitti Tag. The Burn is tremendous and I have kept the OOB finish. But I am struggling with the Tag a bit. I'd like to tone down the backend reaction just a bit and was thinking of changing the surface to, let's say, 3000 or 4000 Abralon.
Has anyone of tried this and would it even make sense in the first place? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, I'm waiting for my original Forza to complete the three-ball arsenal. Really looking forward to it.
But one thing's for sure, I'm really glad to be back!

Post subject: Re: Surface change on Tag
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:25 am 

Nothing wrong with changing the surface of any ball you own. Just be aware of what the change in surface does. Going to a lower grit surface will cause the ball to try to roll earlier. For many this is good and can be the fix. But what this can also do is reduce the amount of reaction on the backend. The rougher surface will try to bite in the oil more thus burning rotation and tilt more than with a more polished surface.

Go ahead and experiment away. Note what changes to reaction each surface change gives you so you can reproduce what you want in the future. Plus, surface changes have a similar affect across all equipment. The effect is the same, the magnitude is what is different.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:56 pm 

Thanks much for the valuable info. A variation might be to remove the 5500 finish with, let's say 3000 or 4000 pad, but then apply a light coat of Black Magic (I've always had excellent results with BM). Indeed I always seem to struggle a bit with high-gloss, factory finishes. So sanding and polishing by hand may be the answer once again.
Again, thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:09 pm 

I would be afraid using Black Magic on top of 3000 or 4000 would be worse than what you are seeing now.

Start with 4000 and work your way down from there. Black Magic would put you back in the 5000-6000 range I believe.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:52 pm 

Ah, ok. I'm certainly open to trying different surfaces. Will give your suggestion a try.
Thanks once again.

Post subject: Surface change on Tag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:31 pm 

So something has occurred during a travel league I do where some lanes are more oiled then others and some still have wood lanes . So how do you know when to change the surface of your bowling ball?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]