MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Layout Numbers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:58 pm 

I was wondering what the numbers meant that drillers use when drilling a ball for bowlers.

An example would be something like 70x4.5x70 or something like that.

What would a strong drill be verses a weak drill. I don't think my PM's are working or I have been put on the IGGY list. Which seems to happen to over zealous bowlers like me :roll: :lol:

Oh if you don't know what the iggy list is it can either be the Ignore list or the ignorant list lol

Anyway I was hoping for an article or an easy explaination for these numbers. I see everyone telling what their layouts are but I am in the blind as to what they really mean.

Tomorrow is our fundraising day and then opening day for league number 2 and Motiv Cruel will be ripping boards off of the synthetic lanes and I will let yall know how far I bolowed.

Peace
CC

Cruel C51

QZ2

O.B.A.A.T.

Post subject: Re: Layout Numbers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:09 pm 

Saw your PM last night, haven't addressed it yet, but here ya go. No iggy list for you yet.

Drilling Angle
X Pin to PAP Distance X VAL angle
Drilling Angle X VAL Angle @ Pin to PAP Distance

These are the basic formats of the dual angle layout system. The full technical explanantion can be found here:

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... lAngle.pdf

Generally, lower angle sums combined with strong pin placements result in stronger overall reactions. Higher angle sums and lower flaring pin positions result in weaker overall reactions. The ratio of drilling angle to VAL angles control the properties of the transition, creating different shaped ball paths.

Once you read through the .pdf we can discuss in more depth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:42 pm 

Read it I was also decifering between the CG and Pin as to the layout that was being explained.

I will be getting a Stat Sheet this weekend so that I can compare the two for information and to help me understand my own game and what I will need in the futrure depending on what I want to ball to do. Thanks Justin.

CC

Cruel C51

QZ2

O.B.A.A.T.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:59 am 

JustinWi wrote:
Saw your PM last night, haven't addressed it yet, but here ya go. No iggy list for you yet.

Drilling Angle
X Pin to PAP Distance X VAL angle
Drilling Angle X VAL Angle @ Pin to PAP Distance

These are the basic formats of the dual angle layout system. The full technical explanantion can be found here:

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... lAngle.pdf

Generally, lower angle sums combined with strong pin placements result in stronger overall reactions. Higher angle sums and lower flaring pin positions result in weaker overall reactions. The ratio of drilling angle to VAL angles control the properties of the transition, creating different shaped ball paths.

Once you read through the .pdf we can discuss in more depth.

Justin what language do you speak? LOL

House Hack Motiv Staff =)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:32 am 

It may be alittle confusing at first, especially if you do not drill bowling balls, but take a close look at the web site Justin has listed & it explains the Dual Angle Layout technique of which he speaks. It is agrueably the best methodology by which to dial-in specific ball reactions you may be looking for and be consistant from one ball to the next.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:39 am 

Are there ever any clinics for people to learn, hands on, on how to drill bowling balls? Or is the best thing to just hang out in a proshop all day long with your driller? (assuming that HE knows what he's doing!)

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:13 pm 

Best thing is to learn as much as you can from as many people as possible. Look for concepts based on fact and science that can be repeated and provide consistent results. Learning from a shop is good as you can see things applied. Also with the prevalence of information on the internet you can be exposed to alot of information very easily.

There are training classes you can take, most notably the IBPSIA Advanced HOTS class, that I'll be attending near Bowl Expo. Gotta get the certificate.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm 

That's cool. I remember a buddy of mine went to Indianapolis (2 hrs away) for some kinda class a few years ago... I'll talk to him about if it still exists.

I have found some interesting videos on youtube on the subject... buffa bowling lays out a few balls and explains...

pssst... maybe justin could do a couple in his spare time? Ha ha I'm sure that's very little!

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am 

Jaydubbayu wrote:
pssst... maybe justin could do a couple in his spare time? Ha ha I'm sure that's very little!

Maybe in a few weeks when things slow down a bit :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:06 pm 

Once you get the duel angle layout stuff down, you'll also want to learn your Angle sweet shot. The total angle sum that works best for you. Mine for instance is 120 to 130 total. That's why you see my benchmark stuff is 60x70, 45x90, 65x65 even the 120x15 (but the 4 inch pin, VAL, and hole up on the VAL is the key to that layout. It could be a 70x15 and work about the same).

I'm glad your willing to learn and expand your knowledge in the sport of bowling.

RX1s 60x6x70
QZ2 1 inch pin to pap
Thrash 1 inch pin to pap
QZ2 BACKDRAFT 60x5x65
TZ3 70x5.5x30
Primal Impulse 90x3.5x55
Primal Impulse 75x5.5x40
Sigma Tour 80x5.5x40
Raptor Attack 95x5.25x30
Raptor P7 45x4.5x30 P1

More not listed!!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]