MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Mines not so Cruel
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:36 pm 

I punched up my C51 55 x 4 x 55 P2 hole and not a hook monster like others are saying. I am new to dual angle drilling and i am a work in progress in that area. This is my second Cruel the 1st one i could not get to wrinkle no matter what drilling i put on it eventually turned that one in to a door stop. lil bout my self stroker 14 to 15 mph med revs PAP 6 1/8 x 7/8 and bowl on THS I would love some input on a layout for the next Cruel cause im determined to get this beast to work lol nobody throws motiv in my area and i would love to change that. i got 2 people motivated so far :)

Primal Impulse
Thrash
QZ2 Backdraft
Silver Recon
100P

BOWLERS ADVANTAGE
Green Bay, WI

Post subject: Re: Mines not so Cruel
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:01 pm 

I too have a cruel and it took me some time to learn to throw it! I have a pin up and slighty to the right of my ring finger! I also bowl on a ths. I had a real problem with going brooklyn. I moved to the second dot from the left and rolled it out over the second arrow and I began to smoke the pocket! I just had to rev it more and get it out there! Now I have tweeked my shot so I can throw all three games with the cruel! I'm not the typical bowler but my style works on any shot pattern now! I'm a ten pin bowler! I also have a tz3 for burnt up lanes and I have been tearing up the lanes! My TZ3 is drilled real agressive for a strong backend! I bowl with some really good bowlers and I can see them struggle on dry lanes and they always ask me How I can hit the pocket so consistently and I tell them it's the ball! They are not motivated yet! But they can see the light!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:01 pm 

This one is most likely drilled too strong. With an axis point that far over there is a good chance your track diameter is large(also referred to as low tilt). The ball needs to retain more energy to finish better. With the inherent dynamics of the Cruel, a strong layout like you have will make it very smooth.

Try something along the lines of a 65x30@3.5" on the next one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:34 pm 

Hate to see ya struggle with a super piece. I don't know a thing about the angles\dualangles ans such yet .. mine is drilled pin over mf and cg kicked 1\2 inch off center and had to polish just to keep it on a ths.it is a monster for me.just really plows the rack. .good luck and keep trying it is worh the effort.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:51 am 

I think his problem is he is extremely high track player. I have several freinds like him with 6"+ PAP & they always struggle with ball layouts too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:41 am 

The title of this thread intrigued me, because my initial reaction was similar. But now I'm on the fence. So I just got the Cruel and had it drilled friday. Pro shop guy told me that the ball was set up for a lefty. I've attached a pic. He said that because the CG was not in line with the pin/MB, but kicked off to the right, that the ball was for a left hander and it would be difficult to drill it and make it legal. He said the "length" layout was about my only option. So we drilled it that way, (no idea what my stats or drill angles are, etc) Anyway, what I got is a ball that BARELY outhooks my Power Groove, however strikes much more. Threw 4 practice games, all horrid. Then put up my all time high 625 series tonight at league. Tons of strikes and missed spares. It really could have been epic. So now I'm really confused, because this ball doesn't hook nor have the backend that I wanted. But at least I figured out how to throw it tonight. I have to really give it a lot of finger action to get the backend movement, which makes me less acurate. But every single time I came in light, I carried a strike that I never have before. And when I missed left, it read the lane and didn't overhook. I don't know whether to try to get this ball redrilled or not. So I guess my question is...does my pro know what he's talking about when he said the ball is set up for a lefty? Can I get it drilled in a way that will give me more hook and backend and still be legal? What should I do?

--Confused Guy

Attachments:
cruel.JPG
cruel.JPG [ 19.25 KiB | Viewed 1888 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:31 am 

The only impact the GC placement has is on static weights, especially in asymmetrical balls. The CG swung out like that allows the use of larger drill angles while still having some statics left in case you place a hole.

How much does the ball flare currently?

Without knowing your PAP or layout, it is a complete shot in the dark to try and give you any guidance. There is no way to accurately asses the ball based on a visual indication. The picture helps, but isn't quite enough information.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:11 am 

Thanks for the response Justin. I will figure that information out shortly, hopefully tomorrow, and post it. Didn't know anything about drilling techniques before, but I'm starting to learn now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:36 am 

Found out some good stuff today. Definitely found my PAP, on both my balls for comparison purposes and it measures out the same. 4" out and 1/2" up from the center of grip. Ball speed is about 14 mph. rev rate ??? Mid-low track, hard to tell my ball flares a lot...4-5 inches

The ball......after I found my stats I had the guy draw up the layout with the tape still on my PAP. Pics attached. He didn't do the dual angle method, but instead called it a stacked 4-3 layout with CG 2" Right. So I taped a piece of yellow thread on the ball to draw the line from the pin to the PAP and measured everything myself. Assuming he drew the VAL Line properly, it looks like a 58 x 4.5 x 33 layout, or roughly a 60 x 4.5 x 35. Looks pretty close to what the drilling guide calls the length layout. He still insists up down and sideways that it's a left handed ball and that all i can do is adjust the coverstock. Would a different layout give me more backend?

Attachments:
IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG [ 18.1 KiB | Viewed 1724 times ]
IMG_1133.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG [ 27.65 KiB | Viewed 1721 times ]
IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1130.JPG [ 20.42 KiB | Viewed 1717 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:32 am 

I'm not a ball drill guru (leave that to Justin), but I can tell by looking at that and your description of your shot that it's not going to give you any backend....

I know that because your shot sounds a lot like mine, and I know that if I have a ball drilled that laterally over the pin/cg it won't do anything but slide down the lane.

A guy that was a "excellent driller" drilled one similar to that for me after I told him not to and it doesn't do anything but slide down the lane and plow the 3 pin...Good luck, and maybe since the pin is above your grip and you're a little behind the core you can sand it enough to make it turn...I'm sure Justin will clear this up soon enough for you!...=)

- Pat

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next