MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: What to get next?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:06 am 

Sorry for the long post in advance, I really hope you guys take the time to read it and spread some knowledge on me. Anywho, my birthday is 2 months away and I’m already planning on my next Motiv purchase(s). Think I’m going to get at least 2 balls from family/friends, and I might purchase myself one as well. So 3 balls tops, 2 is more ideal though. SR2 is going to be a for sure buy, so I’m trying to find at least one more ball that will fit within my arsenal.

I snapped a picture of my stats sheet, and this all that was on there: Axis - Horizontal, 4-3/4 Right. Vertical, 2-1/2 Down. That's all I have, I’d say I’m a Medium-High rev player with about a 15mph roll.

I not quite sure on what to get next though that will fit with my arsenal. I have the following:

- RX1s - Drilled for Length/Backend. A little too strong if you ask me, I was a little disappointed on how strong it was. Still a great ball though.
- Cruel - Also drilled for Length/Backend. Breaks much earlier of course than the RX1s.
- Primal - Drilled as Leverage layout, crazy strong and a ton of backend.
- GT1 - Not drilled for me, bought used. Think I’m going to have it plugged and drilled as a Full Roller Layout. Do you think a Full Roller layout for the GT1 make a good fit in my arsenal?

This is what I’ve been thinking of as far as new balls:

SR2 - I really want one of these because this seems to be everyone’s "go to" and favorite ball from the Motiv lineup and I really want to get my hands on one for sure. Just don't know how to punch it up to flow with my arsenal. This is a for sure buy first. Any recommendations on layouts?

TR2 – As strong as I can drill it, leave it at Box Surface… Maybe an early roller layout to cut through the oil. Any other recommendations?

SX1 (If I can find one) – Thinking about finding one of these and drill it for Length and low flare so I will have another option on Dry/Short oiled lanes if my RX1s is too strong. Any other recommendations?

QZ series ball - I definitely want to get one of these down the road, I was thinking about punching one of these up for Length and low flare to see if I’ll be able to use this on Short/Dry oiled lanes as well. I just think it will be just as strong as my RX1s if it’s drilled for Length/Lowe Flare. Any other recommendations?

RX1 (Orange) - Also thinking about this to have it drilled weaker than my RX1s so I will have another option for those dry lanes.

So to sum it up, I guess I’m looking for another ball that will be weaker than my RX1s. Because I’ve used it numerous times on burnt up lanes and it wasn’t what I expected/intended for what I wanted this ball to do. This is all I can think of for now, let me know if you guys have any recommendations on what I should get next. The SR2 is a for sure buy, just don't know what else to get.

Post subject: Re: What to get next?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 am 

mralbin0 wrote:
SR2 is going to be a for sure buy, so I’m trying to find at least one more ball that will fit within my arsenal.

Good, SR2 will fit well with what you have.

mralbin0 wrote:
Axis - Horizontal, 4-3/4 Right. Vertical, 2-1/2 Down.

That's really unique.

mralbin0 wrote:
I have the following:

- RX1s - Drilled for Length/Backend. A little too strong if you ask me, I was a little disappointed on how strong it was. Still a great ball though.
- Cruel - Also drilled for Length/Backend. Breaks much earlier of course than the RX1s.
- Primal - Drilled as Leverage layout, crazy strong and a ton of backend.
- GT1 - Not drilled for me, bought used. Think I’m going to have it plugged and drilled as a Full Roller Layout. Do you think a Full Roller layout for the GT1 make a good fit in my arsenal?

Really great start, but I could see a couple of holes that would get you stuck once in a while.

mralbin0 wrote:

You aren't a full roller, the short answer is no.

mralbin0 wrote:

SR2 - I really want one of these because this seems to be everyone’s "go to" and favorite ball from the Motiv lineup and I really want to get my hands on one for sure. Just don't know how to punch it up to flow with my arsenal. This is a for sure buy first. Any recommendations on layouts?

Your favorite layout, something benchmarky. I can give you measurements if needed.

mralbin0 wrote:

TR2 – As strong as I can drill it, leave it at Box Surface… Maybe an early roller layout to cut through the oil. Any other recommendations?

You are on the right track, but how often do you see enough oil where the Cruel is not enough?

mralbin0 wrote:

SX1 (If I can find one) – Thinking about finding one of these and drill it for Length and low flare so I will have another option on Dry/Short oiled lanes if my RX1s is too strong. Any other recommendations?

I know of one here in town, but it will be stronger than your RX1 by a good margin, see my RX1O video for a direct comparison.

mralbin0 wrote:

QZ series ball - I definitely want to get one of these down the road, I was thinking about punching one of these up for Length and low flare to see if I’ll be able to use this on Short/Dry oiled lanes as well. I just think it will be just as strong as my RX1s if it’s drilled for Length/Lowe Flare. Any other recommendations?

Too strong of a cover for dry, but a QZ will compliment the SR2 very nicely. A step down when the SR2 can't clear the heads.

mralbin0 wrote:

RX1 (Orange) - Also thinking about this to have it drilled weaker than my RX1s so I will have another option for those dry lanes.

Use a large VAL angle and long pin measurement, like 5.5"+. This will make it go long and be smooth for real dirt.

mralbin0 wrote:
So to sum it up, I guess I’m looking for another ball that will be weaker than my RX1s. Because I’ve used it numerous times on burnt up lanes and it wasn’t what I expected/intended for what I wanted this ball to do. This is all I can think of for now, let me know if you guys have any recommendations on what I should get next. The SR2 is a for sure buy, just don't know what else to get.

SR2 and RX1 looks to be the best option for you right now.

mralbin0 wrote:
Sorry for the long post in advance

Yeah, tl;dr :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 am 

JustinWi[quote="mralbin0 wrote:

That's really unique.

Justin, nerd moment here, what is actually happening that gives a bowler a 2 1/2" down axis? This seemed extreme to me too.....?

- Pat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 am 

Migraine777 wrote:
JustinWi[quote="mralbin0 wrote:

That's really unique.

Justin, nerd moment here, what is actually happening that gives a bowler a 2 1/2" down axis? This seemed extreme to me too.....?

- Pat

No thumber.

And thanks, Justin lol. Great advice as usual. So from what i got out of that, we're looking at an SR2 of course with a benchmark drilling (I don't have a benchmark drilling, i'd say my favorite is Length/Backed, seems to be what is most predictable for me), and an RX1o with your recommended specs, and a QZ series. What do you recommend layout wise for a QZ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:00 pm 

Any way you can snap a pic of what you have? It will give me a better idea of what you are working with, and help others understand better as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:23 pm 

JustinWi wrote:
Any way you can snap a pic of what you have? It will give me a better idea of what you are working with, and help others understand better as well.

Yeah i'll have to post them up when i get home, took the balls out of the car after last nights league.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 pm 

Alright, here's the pics of the balls and their current layouts:

Primal:

Cruel:

RX1s:

I didn't even take pix of the GT1, because it's not drilled for me. Any recommendations on drilling for the GT1 if I were to get it plugged?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:59 pm 

Is there a post on here somewhere that give a table of the strentgh to weakness of the balls? Like which are stronger than the others from weakest to strongest?

Cruel C51

QZ2

O.B.A.A.T.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:11 am 

relbac3 wrote:
Is there a post on here somewhere that give a table of the strentgh to weakness of the balls? Like which are stronger than the others from weakest to strongest?

You can click on the products tab > balls > then click on whatever ball you want to look at and it gives you a chart about the ball. Off the top of my head it goes (Strongest to Weakest, current lineup):

Cruel
Primal (In my case, the Primal is stronger than my Cruel)
TR2
GT1
SR2 (May be stronger than the GT1)
QZ1p
QZ1r
QZ2
RX1o
RX1s

All comes down to drillings too, but that should be pretty accurate if they all had the same type of drilling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 am 

Ok that actually clears a lot of questions up. I thought for sure that the GT1 would be just above the QZ2 but now I can see where the strengths and weaknesses are in the line up that is. So far for sure I already have the Cruel, GT1 on the way shortly and at the end of this month I will be getting the QZ2 So my theory would be that I need to slide way down the scale to one of the weakest or longest I should say (nothing weak about Motiv Balls) balls Like a RX1s That will be a 4 ball aresenal that should carry me up to my first year. Because My Birthday is in August 2 months before the year is up and I will get the Primal then or wait on the QZ2 and Get the Primal this month im torn but we shall see.

Cruel C51

QZ2

O.B.A.A.T.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next