MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: What to get next?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:30 am 

I had this ball drilled at my Pro-shop is it a * drilling or dpoes it have a name

Attachments:
File comment: my layout not sure what it is but this is how my pro drilled it
motiv drill 2.jpg
motiv drill 2.jpg [ 67.6 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]

Cruel C51

QZ2

O.B.A.A.T.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:45 am 

relbac3 wrote:
Ok that actually clears a lot of questions up. I thought for sure that the GT1 would be just above the QZ2 but now I can see where the strengths and weaknesses are in the line up that is. So far for sure I already have the Cruel, GT1 on the way shortly and at the end of this month I will be getting the QZ2 So my theory would be that I need to slide way down the scale to one of the weakest or longest I should say (nothing weak about Motiv Balls) balls Like a RX1s That will be a 4 ball aresenal that should carry me up to my first year. Because My Birthday is in August 2 months before the year is up and I will get the Primal then or wait on the QZ2 and Get the Primal this month im torn but we shall see.

An RX1 is a must in a complete 3/4 ball arsenal. It's such a versatile ball that can be used on any lane condition if adjusted right. I'm still upset at myself for drilling my RX1s so strong on the backend, so just be careful on the layouts you choose.

relbac3 wrote:
I had this ball drilled at my Pro-shop is it a * drilling or dpoes it have a name

Justin would be your man on this. He'll probably need your PAP though to get you an exact answer. Balls SHOULD be drilled based on your PAP, that's why my Pin placement is way different than yours. Did your driller layout your ball knowing your PAP?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:52 am 

umm he watched me bowl for awhile does that count lol Then took the ball that I was throwing and drilled from there. If I could look at my ball myself and tell how to calculate those numbers I would be better off/. Brett Cooper said that my track was about 2" and axis I think he called it at 5" not sure if I'm on the right page though. How does a person find your PAP just by watching you?

Cruel C51

QZ2

O.B.A.A.T.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 am 

relbac3 wrote:
umm he watched me bowl for awhile does that count lol Then took the ball that I was throwing and drilled from there. If I could look at my ball myself and tell how to calculate those numbers I would be better off/. Brett Cooper said that my track was about 2" and axis I think he called it at 5" not sure if I'm on the right page though. How does a person find your PAP just by watching you?

They take the oil track from your ball and that's how they determine it, at least that's what I understand. I'm sure there is more to it, I don't know though. My driller was putting tape all over my ball, I just did what he asked and rolled the ball. It impresses my though how much "good" drillers know about this stuff, my driller just rambles and rambles and talks to me like I know what i'm talking about, I don't understand jack shit about drilling. As long as my equipment rolls awesome (which is does) then i'm happy. One day though i would like to take the time and work in a proshop to learn all this stuff, maybe i'll talk to my driller to see if he would want to take the time to teach me more about this stuff on the weekends or something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:22 pm 

relbac3 wrote:
How does a person find your PAP just by watching you?

The best method for finding your PAP is on the lanes with a bit of tape. Place it to the right of your grip, and a little up to start. The objective is to get the tape to remain stationary for the first few revolutions, before the axis migrates.

relbac3 wrote:
I had this ball drilled at my Pro-shop is it a * drilling or does it have a name

Every bowling ball drilled has a dual angle layout of some form. Without knowing your PAP I couldn't tell you what the measurements are. Even then I would need the ball to give you a precise measurement. I can approximate based on pictures, but it is still an approximation.

If I had to guess, I'd say this cruel rolls very smoothly for you, clears the fronts a bit then starts rolling. When you leave pins are they most often weak 10s and 2 pins?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:28 pm 

mralbin0 wrote:
Alright, here's the pics of the balls and their current layouts:

From these pictures i can surmise that you have pretty much the same layout on all the balls and are relying on the differences between the balls to change your reaction. This approach admittedly works better on Motiv balls than pretty much all the other companies.

To do this right, I'd like to get the dual angle measurements of what you have now. You are getting to the point where you have enough balls that you are trying to slot things in pretty specifically. Data is the key to doing this. It will be easier because your current gear is drilled very similarly, but we need a baseline to start.

mralbin0 wrote:
I didn't even take pix of the GT1, because it's not drilled for me. Any recommendations on drilling for the GT1 if I were to get it plugged?

Once we get your dual angles settled, we'll set up your SR2, RX1 and GT1.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:42 pm 

JustinWi wrote:
mralbin0 wrote:
Alright, here's the pics of the balls and their current layouts:

From these pictures i can surmise that you have pretty much the same layout on all the balls and are relying on the differences between the balls to change your reaction. This approach admittedly works better on Motiv balls than pretty much all the other companies.

To do this right, I'd like to get the dual angle measurements of what you have now. You are getting to the point where you have enough balls that you are trying to slot things in pretty specifically. Data is the key to doing this. It will be easier because your current gear is drilled very similarly, but we need a baseline to start.

mralbin0 wrote:
I didn't even take pix of the GT1, because it's not drilled for me. Any recommendations on drilling for the GT1 if I were to get it plugged?

Once we get your dual angles settled, we'll set up your SR2, RX1 and GT1.

Good deal. Are the dual angles something you can find based off the images and my axis? Or is that something i need to contact my driller for? You need to put your expertise in layman's terms lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:56 pm 

From pictures I can only approximate layouts, ideally you want to have the ball in front of you to precisely measure it out.

If your driller doesn't use the dual angle system, the pin buffer setup will work as well, or even Pin to PAP/CG to PAP/Pin to VAL, and I'll just have to lay them out on a ball to measure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:10 pm 

JustinWi wrote:
From pictures I can only approximate layouts, ideally you want to have the ball in front of you to precisely measure it out.

If your driller doesn't use the dual angle system, the pin buffer setup will work as well, or even Pin to PAP/CG to PAP/Pin to VAL, and I'll just have to lay them out on a ball to measure.

I don't even think he logs layouts or what he did, is that something drillers should do? He would have to re-lay it out probably to get all that information. I don't know what Dual Angle is, or Pin Buffer, I think he just used the traditional Pin to PAP method which I can't even remember what he did on the 3 balls. I know he told me, just can't remember. I guess I should've taken pix of the markings on the balls.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:13 pm 

You can easily measure the layouts by marking the ball up again. For folks with more than 2 balls I always record the data. Sometimes a year will pass and they will really like a ball and we use the same layout on a newer ball.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next