MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: inner workings SB
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm 

Spare ball Idea, Although Motiv has an "Any Bright Ideas" tab it is difficult at best to get a response.

I had a thought(I know you smelled something burning) But what if Motiv came out with a spare but that actually did sone thing other look pretty or neat. I meant we all know plastic balls are supposed to go straight but the Lane elimanation theory is still in play. What about being able to throw the ball the way you normally would and be able to count on the ball finishing where you tageted it too. Maybe a Pancake nearer to the top wieght? or just filler in the ball no weight lets discuss the making of if share our ideas and help this company make a spare ball woth the bucks we are all going to spend on it. colors paterns and all dont count lets get down to HOW IT IS MADE.lol

Cruel C51

QZ2

O.B.A.A.T.

Post subject: Re: inner workings SB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:21 am 

With a bachelor's in Physics, my head spins trying to think of creating a truly "hand reactive" ball. My thoughts would be that:

1.) the coverstock would have to be nearly silk to accommodate the varying speeds and revs of all bowlers

And

2.) the drillers would have set the balls up do perfectly for the desired flip required to make the ball truly "intuitive".

Not saying it can't be done, just saying it's a much larger (and expensive) endeavor than a standard plastic ball. Would be glad to provide any technical or mathematical work needed. I get a bit of spare time at work some days.... ;)

-Pat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:47 am 

Thanks Pat, My thoughts are along the line of lane eliminations there is 60- 63.75 ft. I think is the accurate measurments to any given back pin that is involved with any given spare shot. Therefore if the lanes are cut down to say 30-40 ft the spares are more likely to be made.

1st question. How do you cut a lane from 60+ft to under 40ft.

1 possibility would be loft right?

2 a mirror finish on the ball itself not reading the lane at all

3 with your hand position in the same fashion as your strike ball and the flip was eliminated from the reaction of said ball you could deliver it at a mirror posistion on the lane ie if you throw at 15 right for a strike you would throw 15 left for a 10 pin viseversa for the 7 pin.

As to your idea for a coverstock your right on the money as far as like silk I'm thinkinmg of a hardened double pearl cover

any such weight blocks would alter the smooth nonreading of a mirror finish and would bring back the equation of the flip which in my case is why I miss the amount of spares because it will flip at the very last second and wiff a coat of paint off the pin and leave it standing for an open. So bad idea on my part lol

These are just some ideas that I came up with being a newbie and all you with much more expreience can help me in my thinking but the less I personally have to think about the spare shot I'm about to take, the better chance i have of making it in my case that is. keep it coming I know there more people that have nighmares about ringing 10's and stone 7's lol

Cruel C51

QZ2

O.B.A.A.T.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:56 am 

I love the smell of physics in the morning lol

Mission
Hammer Black Widow Clear <--SB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:26 pm 

I just drilled my first real spare ball. I immediately drilled out the top weight to reduce any reaction when it comes out of the oil.

relbac3 wrote:
Spare ball Idea, Although Motiv has an "Any Bright Ideas" tab it is difficult at best to get a response.

I had a thought(I know you smelled something burning) But what if Motiv came out with a spare but that actually did sone thing other look pretty or neat. I meant we all know plastic balls are supposed to go straight but the Lane elimanation theory is still in play. What about being able to throw the ball the way you normally would and be able to count on the ball finishing where you tageted it too. Maybe a Pancake nearer to the top wieght? or just filler in the ball no weight lets discuss the making of if share our ideas and help this company make a spare ball woth the bucks we are all going to spend on it. colors paterns and all dont count lets get down to HOW IT IS MADE.lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 pm 

I never thought of that. It is someting to consider let me know how that works for you. May be Justin or Dustin and Bob could put some expertise into this.

Cruel C51

QZ2

O.B.A.A.T.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:26 am 

If they do come out with a Spare Ball I would like to see a all White Ball,with Orange ''M'' and Black MOTIV under the ''M'' logo,but a White Ball would be a real pain to keep clean...throw some orange grips in and your ready!

Attachments:
Motiv BLK.jpg
Motiv BLK.jpg [ 10.85 KiB | Viewed 1610 times ]
white ball.jpg
white ball.jpg [ 51.73 KiB | Viewed 1611 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:25 am 

The Idea of the pancake, or a puck is to create a heavy spot where the grip will be placed, in order to balance the ball out after drilling.

Example: if you had a ball without a pancake or heavy spot then after drilling, the ball would be illegal due to bottom weight from removing so much from the grip holes.

I feel your pain with the ball flipping the last foot or so. I've been using a black widow spare ball and it's drilled with the heavy spot right on my grip center. I also polish the heck out if it every few weeks for insurance. Ever since I've been using that for all my easy spares. I haven't had an issue with it taking off unless its dirt after 30 feet. At that point you better just come up the back of the ball and roll it over the fingers and thumb, HAHA :lol: . Remind anyone of the Peterson ?

I'm looking forward to a spare ball if it comes to life !!! Personally I would like to see a weight block that I can drill to hook or go "Walter Ray straight" for spares. ;)

Also thinking of hitting up next years plastc ball championship, I've been able to work wonders with plastic on tough short patterns. Never know Brian Ziesig did it last year.

Michael

RX1s 60x6x70
QZ2 1 inch pin to pap
Thrash 1 inch pin to pap
QZ2 BACKDRAFT 60x5x65
TZ3 70x5.5x30
Primal Impulse 90x3.5x55
Primal Impulse 75x5.5x40
Sigma Tour 80x5.5x40
Raptor Attack 95x5.25x30
Raptor P7 45x4.5x30 P1

More not listed!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:42 pm 

captmike02 wrote:
At that point you better just come up the back of the ball and roll it over the fingers and thumb, HAHA :lol: . Remind anyone of the Peterson ?

LOVE the Peterson. And yes, it does. Ha ha I take 2 balls there... My least hooking ball and my spareball! ha ha good times! I'm still getting splinters out of my hand from bowling on lane 1! That wall's a little close!

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:45 pm 

I just picked up an unbelievably rare 14lb Purple Gemstone. Till we get an M spare ball, I'm restoring and using this one :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next