MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Question about plugging and redrilling
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 pm 

In your experience does plugging and redrilling work or does it change the ball dynamics too much on a mass biased ball. (Cruel)

Post subject: Re: Question about plugging and redrilling
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:41 pm 

The mass properties will change slightly. After plugging, your best bet will be to re-spin the ball on a DeTerminator to find the actual PSA. In strong asymmetrical balls like the Cruel, the PSA won't move too much until you reshape the core pretty significantly. I can't say how much or where it will change, because it depends on where the grip is. Spinning is the only reliable method.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:07 am 

You don't say why you're wanting/needing to re-drill.

For what it's worth, I had my very first ball re-drilled four times because three "pros" were really only guessing at my grip and I didn't know right from wrong. The results were needless months of cramps, blisters, skin tears, big calluses and related ball handling difficulties. Looking at the plugged holes, it's hard to believe their measurements could be so different. But I finally found a real pro who matched the ball to my hand (Wayne Stelleck @ Holiday Bowl, Lakewood, CO). How grateful I am!

Anyway, I'm now two more balls down the road, but I still use that first one when the lanes are right or I just want to have some fun and burn some energy. It works just fine, given its inherent limitations—good as new.

So if you've got the right guy, I wouldn't worry about re-drilling. Your ball can be tweeked to react just the way you want it to.

If you've got grip problems like I did, you might get a used ball and drill it 'til its just right. Then transfer the measurements to your other ball(s). This way you won't have to chance goofing up an expensive new ball.

Best of Luck to You! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:36 pm 

As Brett will attest to, I am NOT afraid to plug & re-drill. If you are just moving the fingers/thumb alittle for a better grip but the initial layout remains pretty much the same then there should be no noticiable difference in reaction. If you take a left-handers ball, plug & redrill for a rigthy, then plug & redrill again w/entirely different layout, then you may start to notice reaction changes due to hitting the core w/all those drillings. Plugging material is not as dense as the material used in cores so it cannot 'exactly' replace the material that was initially drilled out. So don't be afraid to have at least one ball where you try different spans, pitches, etc. Good luck!

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]