MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: frustration setting in...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:41 pm 

OK this really has nothing to do with motiv at all, but the last 3 bowling balls i have had drilled by my proshop have all been screwed up in one way or another...I use thumb slugs because i have a very flat thumb and a perfect circle for a thumb just isnt gonna get the job done.

so on my qz2, drilled the thumb hole too deep and put the slug in anyways, after maybe 15 games, the slug sank had to drill it out and reslug it...

primal...he drilled the hole too big for the thumg slug so he threw a slug in into it to plug the hole, and then drilled normal size hole for my thumb slug...0 games on this ball when it happened...last night i noticed my ring finger insert was in upside down causing pain in my finger...

my rx1...drilled last night, drilled hole too deep again and sank the thumb slug...3 games on ball...

all 3 proshops in my area are garbage...i dont have the time to drive an hour to go to kegel or anywhere else. He only charges me 20 bucks a ball because i use to work at the center but i have come to the point i dont know what to do....im so overly frustrated i jus wanna stop bowling because every time i get a ball crap hits the fanand something is messed up....

House Hack Motiv Staff =)

Post subject: Re: frustration setting in...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 pm 

Stories like this pain me man. The fact that the shops around you aren't skilled enough to do an appropriate job so that you continue to enjoy bowling. This happens far too often. Traveling around I see how some of these balls are drilled, and sometimes I just sit there in wonder of how bad the work is. You aren't alone.

If I can help in any way let me know. It would be an expense for you to ship me stuff to fix, but if I ever get down there and get a fit for you I'd be happy to give it a shot. I have a few people I ship stuff to. Usually very minor adjustments, if any, are all that are required.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:52 pm 

justin, I dont mind shipping you a ball after the fall season is over so you can take my specs and what not and if I have to send you my equipment to drill them then so be it, ill pay for the shipping and everything else....lemme know...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:53 pm 

StickZ wrote:
...all 3 proshops in my area are garbage...i dont have the time to drive an hour to go to kegel or anywhere else. He only charges me 20 bucks a ball because i use to work at the center but i have come to the point i dont know what to do....im so overly frustrated i jus wanna stop bowling because every time i get a ball crap hits the fanand something is messed up....

I feel ya for frustration, my town has virtually no where to go and get a ball cut down either, with any consistancy.

That being said....this is a risky venture, and will cost more, but if you got every aspect of your drilling (i.e. your span, pitch, finger tip sizes, thumb slug size and depth, PAP, layout), you could theoretically have the ball drilled for you by someone who knows what the heck is going on. They could drill it and send it to you to just have the fingertips set to your liking. It's a risk since that person can't see you throw it or have the luxury of your hand, but it CAN be done by someone you trust.

Just a thought...=)

-Pat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:56 pm 

right pat, I know all of my specs. and Justin knows a good deal about how I throw the ball even though he is like 1500 miles away LOL, but it sounds like ill be sending my equipment to Justin from now on...sucks but what can you do? I cant keep going through this crap!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:06 pm 

StickZ wrote:
right pat, I know all of my specs. and Justin knows a good deal about how I throw the ball even though he is like 1500 miles away LOL, but it sounds like ill be sending my equipment to Justin from now on...sucks but what can you do? I cant keep going through this crap!

Lol, Justin laid my Cruel out for me from Rochester too. I called him like 5 times during the drilling process to make sure we didn't frick it up.... My PAP put my ring finger hole half way on top of the pin, so we adjusted the angle a bit, moved the grip down a bit, just basically finagled it, and eventually I got to throw it....wore Justin's cell out that day...=P

-Pat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:33 am 

Yeah I would recommend Mike Remp at Lightning Strikes Proshop in Colonial Lanes, but I see you don't have time to drive an hour to get a ball punched up. He has done fantastic work on my equipment. I remember when I first went to him I was so excited to see my finger inserts were actually flush in the holes instead of one side sunk in and one side poking up like an 1/8 of an inch. Small things like that made me make a change to a different guy and I'm glad I made the change. So I highly recommend Mike Remp if you ever wanted to give him a shot, but nobody knows Motiv more than Justin.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:46 pm 

Man, I really feel for you... The pro shop where I bowl is always messing up people's span, drilling for wrong hand, etc. They don't even know how to clean up a plug. (looks like they use a rasp and it's all "lumpy")

Luckily for me, I have a private driller who works out of his home. (has a bitchin' vacu jig setup) He's also 79 years young (with a 199 avg.!), so I'm trying to learn from him as much as I can until I can take a fit/drill course. He's the only one qualified to touch my balls ;)

Motiv Gear (14#):
TZ3 55 x 4.75 x 30
Primal 60 x 4.5 x 30
Cruel 40 x 4 x 40
Sigma Hybrid 30 x 4.5 x 60
Sniper

RH Stroker
PAP: 4.625 ^ 1.125
15-15.5 mph
260 RPM
Axis Rot.: 55 - 60
Tilt: 44

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:59 pm 

I have the pro shop blues too. Bad plug jobs, illegal drillings, missing my span by a 1/4 inch, attempting to drill a ball for me without knowing my PAP, and the list goes on and on. I've been through eight shops in the last few years. Looking for number nine.

Its bad enough that I have avoided the C51 specifically because I don't think I can find a shop that could do anything with it other than turn it into a spare ball. That core is a force to be reckoned with, by my reckoning.

The best results I've had came after I started telling people exactly what to do and where to put holes. Scary. I don't know near enough to be doing that.

Justin and others like him are unfortunately the exception rather than the rule. I'm not surprised that folks are willing to pay shipping costs and what-not to have things done right. I've often thought of doing the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:18 pm 

I suppose I've been rightly spoiled in my bowling lifetime. I've always used Fran's Pro Shop in Waterloo, from 1990 forward. I had encountered only 2 problems with balls drilled there, and they both were layout match-ups to my game. In the first instance, he replaced the ball with a new one; the second one (it was a Quantum), he plugged and re-drilled at no cost; the ball rolled great after the re-drill. But that is only 2 balls in maybe 80.
Then, when I moved to Iowa Falls to start running the center here, I endeavored to learn all I could. I started with drilling my own stuff (mistakes made didn't hurt anyone else), and after time, I was able to offer drill and plug services here, which saved our people a minimum 45 minute drive.
I've always stood behind my stuff, and tell everyone they have no risk in drilling something new- if they hate it, I'll replace it. Period.
People like that. And, with a little diligence, very few errors happen (not zero, but very few).
I guess jokers like that wouldn't last long around here. They'd be out of business after one season- people don't put up (or shouldn't put up) with mediocre or even sub-standard work.
Stand up for your rights, and demand quality and excellence at every turn. Don't tolerate the crap work- tell them what you want, and if they can't deliver, don't spend a dime with them.
There are plenty of folks here that would be glad to get you set up correctly, even if the shipping adds a bit more to the cost.

Good luck! You deserve excellence!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next