MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pin to CG distance
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:27 am 

:shock: Maybe I need to put a picture of my Sr2 on here, but I'm confused as I look at videos/pictures of people's Motiv balls being drilled, and the Pin and CG are a pretty decent away from eachother. This is obviously something that we can't control, as they come from the factory like that. MY ball is different, as I had my driller put my pin above my ring finger, as that's 4.5" away from my PAP. But, the CG is DIRECTLY underneath that same finger. Not even an inch below it. I'm confused on this, and I need help to understand it. For my future equipment, I'm pretty sure I know how I want it drilled, but I'm trying to educate myself on the whole drilling concept of Motiv balls, or any balls for that matter!

In the past, all I've ever done is tell the driller what I want it to do, and they do the rest. My driller understood that 4.5" from PAP was Length/Leverage drilling for Motiv balls, too. I was happy to see that he knew that.

To tell you the truth, I would like to get some teaching on drilling bowling balls! Ha ha... I'm mechanically inclined as far as machines go, and mathematically I'm decent as well. So, if anybody has any resources they could share, whether that be book, internet, video, etc... Help me out.

I appreciate any help I get on these subjects!
Thank you MotivNation!

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

Post subject: Re: Pin to CG distance
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:08 am 

Start here:

http://www.morichbowling.com/Drilling/D ... HNIQUE.pdf

That is a .pdf explaining the dual angle layout system in its entirety. Once you know this, it simplifies drilling patterns significantly.

But it isn't always that easy, some balls work better with certain layouts than others, that is where just plain experience comes into play.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:11 am 

That's a pretty good document, and yes, it does help. What I'm wondering is why the pin and CG have different distances from the factory? I've seen pictures of motiv balls drilled where the pin is put above the fingers, and the cg is down near the thumbhole. On my ball, that's not possible, as they're only like 2" apart from eachother!

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:17 am 

Various pin distances are a function of the manufacturing process. The simplest explanation is that during casting the block is allowed to "float" a small amount. The more off center the block becomes, the longer the pin distance. Depending on the core sometimes it only takes one degree of tilt to create significant pin outs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:27 am 

That's cool. A great explanation. My driller told me that my dual angle was going to be 50x4.5x40. My PAP is 4 1/8" over, 1/4" up... based on my picture i'm uploading, was he close?

Attachment:
0303102044.jpg
0303102044.jpg [ 146.05 KiB | Viewed 1657 times ]

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 am 

Obviously without a quarter scale and the ball I can't be precise. His measurements look to be very close however.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:49 pm 

That's cool man. I just wanted to make sure, because my driller doesn't have much experience with Motiv balls yet.
I told him 4 1/2" pin though, and that's pretty much what it was. I should've asked him to leave
the drawings on the ball. That would've helped me out. Maybe on my next Motiv ball I'll request that he does that.

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:19 pm 

Motiv has some pretty good quality control procedures in place when casting their bowling balls. Most everything comes out between 2 1/4" - 3 3/4" pin-to-cg distances. I've been trying to get my hands on a SR2 w/4 1/2"-5" pin and they just have not produced any. Speaks well for the quality of work they put out.

Jay - what type of reaction do you get from the SR2 you have pictured? I assume your drilled took the finger holes deep, especially the ring finger. It that the case?

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:25 am 

Well, so far I've liked this ball, but it's pretty skid-flippy. And on a fresh house shot,
it works well with an inside-out approach, but if I accidentally keep it in the oil, (and not by much)
it has nothing on it. As far as the depth of the fingers, I'm not sure really. Recently, this ball
has been working better when the lanes dry up. I get further in, but my hookpoint is more opened up
it seems like. I've only shot 3 sets with it, and it's been the case every time. Is this a case of
over-under?

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:48 am 

Any thoughts on how to prevent this ball's over-under reaction?
My driller told me when I bought the ball that I might have to
put a hole in it, in case it's too over-under. I guess I should listen to him,
and let him do that. Also, I'm thinking about going down to 2000 abralon.
This way, if I get it in the oil a little, it'll actually finish.
Any thoughts?

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next