MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:47 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: QZI Help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:27 pm 

Hi all, I am having a small problem with my Qz1, It's not with the ball but the layout. I drilled it with a Reco Layout, and I love the reaction. However I've Noticed that when I don't put much side roll on the ball say less then 30 degrees' then on the last two flare rings it starts to roll over the middle finger. The layout is a normal Reco Layout but the fingers are only drilled about 1 1/4 deep. If I drill the fingers deeper will that bring the track up more?

RX1s 60x6x70
QZ2 1 inch pin to pap
Thrash 1 inch pin to pap
QZ2 BACKDRAFT 60x5x65
TZ3 70x5.5x30
Primal Impulse 90x3.5x55
Primal Impulse 75x5.5x40
Sigma Tour 80x5.5x40
Raptor Attack 95x5.25x30
Raptor P7 45x4.5x30 P1

More not listed!!!

Post subject: Re: QZI Help
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm 

The issue stems from the layout. When you are more up the back of the ball with a higher track resulting, the bowtie will tag your fingers.

With the Rico layout, the weighthole at 6 3/4 is a flare modification hole intended to push the bowtie up so the track will not impact your finger holes. The problem is with the pin in the center of the grip, the bowtie would normally end up just to the left of the thumb, creating hole hitting issues. The hole moves things around a bit.

Before dropping the fingers, I would try enlarging the weighthole.

You sometimes have to be careful with high trackers and Rico layouts.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:32 pm 

I work in my local pro shop and we have been carrying motiv prducts for almost 3 months now and whne i first drilled my sr2 I wasnt sure what to expect but when i went to another house and praticed with the Michigan State bowling team and was wipeing the florr with tem they all were like what ball are you throwing and what the heck is Motiv. needless to say the sr2 was and is sweet. It is a 4 inch high pin with cg close to midline and is nasty good. The other day after reading and hearing about how so many people were killing it at nationals with the QZ1 purple I had to drill one....and lets just say its sick nasty huge. did a 45 degree drill with cgkicked out and it is 4 boards more than my jigsaw corner. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this huge turn out of this ball.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:25 pm 

Update:

I switched to switch grips and installed a sleeve in the ball, and the issue has gone away, unless I make the track really close to the thumb hole. I also rolled a 300 a few weeks ago, Love this piece. The QZ-1, TR-2, and Storm Natural have been my house shot balls as of late. So if I make the weight hole a little bigger or deeper then it may help also? Thanks Justin. Looking forward to getting the SR-2 and a purple QZ-1 with a boomer layout.

Thanks

Michael (Mustard) Mambourg

P.S. I would love to try the TZ-3, I love the Thrust core.
[/color]

RX1s 60x6x70
QZ2 1 inch pin to pap
Thrash 1 inch pin to pap
QZ2 BACKDRAFT 60x5x65
TZ3 70x5.5x30
Primal Impulse 90x3.5x55
Primal Impulse 75x5.5x40
Sigma Tour 80x5.5x40
Raptor Attack 95x5.25x30
Raptor P7 45x4.5x30 P1

More not listed!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:45 pm 

Captmike, "Dr. J" (Justin) is correct in his assessment of your situation. A larger wt. hole will help pull the bowtie up & slightly to the left of your finger holes. Be careful of the "boomer" layout. I'm not a rev dominate player & tried this layout on a TR2 . . can you say dead straight! Brett saw me throw it & had quite a chuckle. Unless you have alot of revs, I'd recommend a Rico or pin under bridge drilling for a smoother reaction. The purple QZ1 is already a smooth reacting ball so to put a tame layout on it might not be the best choice. Depends on what you are looking for. Love mine on most THS. Hope this helps & glad to have you as part of Motiv-nation.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 am 

Be sure to mind your static weights. Switch grips remove a significant amount of mass. You may have to drop the fingers simply to compensate for the switch grip, without modifying the weighthole.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:59 pm 

copy that Justin, I scaled it after the drill and it came out right about 1/4 positive and 3/4 finger. Like I said though it gives me a great reaction now without the tick at the end unless I really come up the back.

Bob, thanks for the in site on the Boomer, but I am a more rev dominate player. :? I can make my natural peel off the 4 board on some of the shark patterns that the local houses have been putting out. My game as evolved over the last year into a straighter player, but I usually have to use week equipment (plastic or urethane). If I can hang around the 5 board or out, and get some kind of read in the mid lane with 420 rpm and 16 to 17 mph, that means a huge pocket for me. Now on house shot's I tend to go deep with the TR2 and QZ1. The Reco QZ1 gives me the strong continuation without flip. Most of the time it's to much for playing straight, even up the back of the ball. The natural ( :o boooohhhh) I play in the track area or up the boards on the sport shots. So ultimately I am looking for that holly grail drilling that I can go up around 5 with a reactive, with out hearing it squeak when it hits the end of the pattern. :lol: I've tried pin on axis and close to axis and that didn't work all that well. It rolled way to soon and took off because it was revving so much due to the low RG the core was in. I tried that on low RG balls and high RG balls with different differentials and nothing worked great except for an old undrilled Purple rhino pro with a 1 1/2 pin to axis, that week cover gave me the look I am still looking for. But I had a laps in judgment and sold it.

I'm trying to be more and more versatile but on the sport shots I seem to migrate out and create hook and hold area, but I can swing it with the best of them as well.

Thanks guys for the help, and please keep the knowledge flowing.

Michael (Unofficial Motiv staff member) ;)

Stay Motivated!!!!

RX1s 60x6x70
QZ2 1 inch pin to pap
Thrash 1 inch pin to pap
QZ2 BACKDRAFT 60x5x65
TZ3 70x5.5x30
Primal Impulse 90x3.5x55
Primal Impulse 75x5.5x40
Sigma Tour 80x5.5x40
Raptor Attack 95x5.25x30
Raptor P7 45x4.5x30 P1

More not listed!!!