MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Backdraft Layout Advice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:45 pm 

So Justin, you helped me out a while back with my Cruel. I'm about 13-14 mph, rev rate ???, PAP is 4" out, 0.5" up. Cruel was originally drilled 55x35@4.5" drilling and was transitioning too early and developing forward roll. Got it plugged and redrilled at 60x30@3.5 P3 hole per your suggestion. That helped a ton.

Cruel was good for me in my last league, 3-man teams and we bowled with a vacant spot every week so the lanes never really changed much for me on any given night. Fast forward to my new league last thursday night with 4 man teams, better bowlers using similar lines and the cruel was all over the place. It was too much ball. Plus, I've always had some consistency issues with the cruel because I think it's a shade too heavy for me at 15# and 1/2 MPH seems to make a huge difference for me on the total hook.

Nothing a credit card can't fix right? Got a 14# backdraft should be coming any day now and looking for thoughts on how to punch it up. I want it to be my new benchmark ball. I'm hoping for something I can throw a lot of different ways on a lot of different conditions. Plenty of backend, but more consistency than the cruel. I'm no drilling guru but my first shot in the dark was 70x35@4.5" or a 65x40@4.5". Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Backdraft Layout Advice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:24 pm 

For a benchmark your estimate of 65x40@4.5" is close.

I'd be inclined to place a 50x45@4.5" for you. That should not need a hole but allow you to place one if you want to tweak it at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:46 pm 

Thanks for the quick response Justin. Ball came in yesterday too. Good looking ball!!! With any luck I'll be bowling with it tomorrow night. Let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:48 am 

The backdraft is LEGIT. Went with the 60 x 45 layout after talking with the pro for a bit because I wanted to error on the side of more length if anything. Plenty of hook and plenty of carry. I have a confidence with it already I never had with the cruel. The 1 lb weight difference is huge, and maybe the higher angle sum is more of my sweet spot. After 2 nights of league play with it......drum roll please.....I bowled my average both nights. But the first night out, the thumb hole was too tight and my thumb actually got stuck on about 5 shots. I botched another 3 shots just worrying that it was going to happen again. Got that fixed and last night, well the 3rd game was forgettable to say the least but that was all me. Hoping to see some big scores with the backdraft next week.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:33 pm 

Glad it is working out for you, those balls are fantastic.

Keep in mind since the Backdraft is symmetrical, the drilling angle is of no consequence to final reaction. Therefore the angle sum and ratio have no bearing on predicting the reaction. The surface is primary, pin distance secondary, and VAL angle the third factor. 40* and 45* will be very close, you may notice a little smoother transition with the 45*. I had suggested a 55* drilling angle is to ensure enough side weight to accommodate a hole if you wanted to dial the reaction. No worries as the two layouts were so close, but I just wanted to let you know the "why" behind my post.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]