MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hypothetical Drilling
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 pm 

First off, traveling for work sucks. Has really killed my bowling and the ability to stay up with the forum. There's been a ton of new developments since the last time I was on (that new ball looks amazing).

Ok, so on to my question. During my travels, I met another guy who just recently got into bowling like myself so we've been hitting up bowling alleys after work just to throw and talk. One of our conversation revolved around, could you potentially buy 4-5 of the exact same ball and drill them differently to prepare for different lane situations?

I really had no idea because I think it is technically it would be possible but I thought Justin mentioned something about certain balls and their make-up lend themselves to specific drilling requirements. And that going outside those requirements works against the dynamics of the ball.

Just curious what others thought as I really didn't have an answer but it was a fun discussion.

Primal Scream - 70x70@3.75
Ascent Solid - 70x45@6"
Ascent Pearl - 70x70@6"

Post subject: Re: Hypothetical Drilling
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:26 pm 

Hey Stan, my take on this is if you are a typical league bowler who may bowl in 1 or 2 houses, that you know, yes, this is something that could work....different layouts and surfaces. Now, if you are a league bowler who tends to bowl quite a few tournaments, no, this is not a good idea...IMHO, there are many, many different cover/core combinations out there to use and utilize, why not do it? no sense in handcuffing yourself to one ball, 1 rg and 1 diff....there are just too many good ones out there to use.....IMHO. Good food for thought though.... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:01 pm 

In the Raptor video I drill 4 of the same ball differently and throw it on the same shot. So yeah, it can be done but you have to be precise to do it right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:09 am 

+1 Justin,
The reason you do what you do is to show us the comparisons of different layouts and surfaces, but I can see where someone may get into to a situation with some overlap, of the same ball because the layouts are very close, or surfaces are making it appear that way....I mean did you go to RUTLAND with 9 SR2's.....? Keep doing what you are doing, I believe alot of people are learning great info from you, I am and I have been at it 29yrs at the age of 33, been around some greats, but you make it easy to understand and provide pictures, instead of the technical mumbo jumbo..(well, you include it, but pictures help).....Thanks Wi.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:31 am 

For a guy (or gal) that wants to be good in the couple of leagues they bowl as well as be competitive at their local city/county/state events then one ball they like drilled 3 or 4 different ways (including surface modifications) would most likely work fine. But when you get to the PBA & serious competiton level you cannot limit yourself. There is too many good balls that can help . . and Motiv makes the lions share of them. :D

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:46 am 

So was I incorrect in stating that the dynamics of a ball lend themselves to certain layouts? Maybe it would be better stated as certain "optimum" layouts?

I was definitely curious to hear what Justin had to say specifically because of his videos. He drills up 3-4 different ways and throws them on the same target line so you can really see the difference.

I wouldn't suggest limiting anyone to one ball. We were just more curious if it could be done without overlapping.

PS... I love this board. So many people with good insight. Great for a newbie like myself to learn from.

Primal Scream - 70x70@3.75
Ascent Solid - 70x45@6"
Ascent Pearl - 70x70@6"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:49 pm 

Stan,
So, YES, "dynamics of a ball can lend themselves to certain layouts"...meaning a certain layout will perform good for you on that ball....the main thing here is YOU, the player. You have found a ball that you match up well with and you could possibly drill 2 weaker and 2 stronger to build a arsenal around it, but you may not like the reactions out the other 4, why? as Justin stated...you need to be very, very precise to do and pull it off.

And IMHO, certain companies ball designs lend themselves to "happy" layouts.........ball companies have certain reputations about their equipment...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:42 pm 

I think it really depends what kind of competition you are playing with & what result you are looking for...

Of course any coverstock or core can hit the pocket but if talking about trying qualify for total pinfalls, peoples who changes/picks/using the right coverstock/core/layout can have few more boards to play will hit the games... 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:04 pm 

When I get home to a PC I'll expand on this discussion. A bit too tedious on my droid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:34 pm 

The biggest thing that I feel hurts people who drill up the same ball different ways is that they tend to forget that you can't play the same exact line with each ball on the lanes.

It's not saying that you can't do it, but I don't think it would be smart. It's honestly better to just build your arsenal with all tools that are available to you and not just the same ball different ways.

I guess everyone can be different, but that is just my opinion. I gave thought to doing this with the Raptor, but I can't see myself having the same ball twice.

Of course, I would like to throw it out there that if I bought two of the same ball, then I probably would lose the pair that I have in my shorts, haha!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next