MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:16 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: How to bring a ball back to life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:56 am 

My go-to ball has been my 15lb GT-1 for a couple years, I bowl on medium to heavy oil conditions and this ball would go long and snap hard. It was at 4k wet sand and power gel polish. Recently I feel like it died on me, it just rolls smooth off the back end and sometimes never recovers. I tried draining the oil by leaving it outside in the sun and wiping of the oil as I rotated it every 30 min. What are the correct steps to get this ball back to how it was before? On another note, can most pro shops help with figuring out a bowlers stats? It seems like if i knew my own stats, I could get my equipment fine tuned for my style.

I attached a pic of my GT-1 to show pin placement

Attachments:
my motiv2.jpg
my motiv2.jpg [ 100.61 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]

QZ-2

RX-1 (S)
Sigma Tour
Motiv Spare Ball?

Post subject: Re: How to bring a ball back to life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:39 pm 

I would definitely avoid leaving the ball in the sun, it doesnt work the same as a rejuvinator in a proshop.

On that note, take your equipment to a pro shop and have them resurface the ball and clean it up. This should restore the reaction to the ball.

If you want to know your numbers, a pro shop should be able to take the angles and measurements off of one of your balls for you. If you want to know speed and revs, that requires a video camera and some math.

High Avg - 238
PBA member
Motiv Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 pm 

The best thing that you honestly can do to get some oil out of the ball would either be to take it into the pro shop and use their revivor oven. That is if they have one, but if they don't, then the next best step is just doing it at home with giving your balls the hot bath treatment.

I do that about once or twice a month to some of my balls and it works great. It kind of depends on how many games I do with them, but I probably played about 150 games with the QZ2 without cleaning it or anything.

I noticed that it just didn't snap or recover as it did in the beginning and after it sat in the hot water and got all the oil out and then resurfaced the ball. It was like I just got it drilled and pulled it out of the box all over again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:58 pm 

I have had balls come back to life just by not using them for months. Someone explained to me that the coverstock dries out over time just like a soaked spounge would if you leave it alone long enough. But like a dry spouge the coverstock is more prone to fractures. To avoid that spray the ball with ball cleaner and turn it over every once and awhile. This is the safest alternative to me altho it is not a quick fix. Using low heat or hot bath is the quick fix but is risky because the core acts as a heat sink. The densities in the core contract with heat and expand when cooled. The coverstock cools down before the core does. The coverstock is at risk of being fractured from the core cooling and expanding. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:43 am 

TOP5 wrote:
Using low heat or hot bath is the quick fix but is risky because the core acts as a heat sink. The densities in the core contract with heat and expand when cooled. The coverstock cools down before the core does. The coverstock is at risk of being fractured from the core cooling and expanding. Hope this helps

I would disagree with that statement.
The core heats and cools at different rates, because the heat energy is transferring into the ball at first, but for the heat to dissipate, it has to then radiate from the center outward.

The only common material that expands when cooling, and shrinks when heated on Earth is water. I think you will find that ball materials (including ball plug) will expand with heat, and contract with cold. You are right about those expansion and contraction rates being different across the different densities of ball material, hence the danger for cracking when a ball is exposed to extremes in temperature.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:10 pm 

Lane Masters says it is the core expanding and contracting in a 3 part ball that causes the cracking. They now make 2 part balls no fillers. Just Core and cover stock.
900 Global says it is from the cover drying out and to rub lane oil on a ball that is just siting around because it drys out . I have had 10 drilled balls split just sitting in my shop (all my personal balls) all different brands. So nobody knows for sure. Me i think it is the new plastics being used because a lot of older balls do not break just sitting around. I have an Inferno siting in my shop and it has been in the oven several times and it has not split even though it has not seen the lanes for a year now.

ro 40-50
PAP 4 1/2 X 1 1/2 Up
sweet spot
45/3.25/30 asym
50/3.25/25 sym

Rap Attack 60/4/40
Sig tour 45/3.25/25 obf
Primal t4 55/ 4.75/45
Rap 55/3/25 + p3
Primal Im 45x 3.375 x 40 wi hole
Thrash 50x4.25x35

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]