MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:57 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: P Holes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 am 

I'm not a bowling ball techie and hope to find an easy to understand answer to this question: What is the effect of any P Hole on the roll of a bowling ball? Besides location, what is the difference in performance between the 1, 2 and 3 holes with the same layout? Just from watching the videos, it appears the higher the number the more the bowler moves left (for a righty). Can you just add a P Hole in any drilling or does the drilling need to be specific for each hole number? Under what condition would I want a P Hole - hook more/less, longer/shorter. more angular/more arcing? Is any P Hole drilled just to keep the bowl within regulations because more extreme layouts are used initially? Appreciate any guidance and helpful info.

Post subject: Re: P Holes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 am 

The following quote comes from a thread on Page 2:

On symmetrical balls after drilling, the PSA ends up near the thumb. I'll use a spot just below the thumb for P4, and use a spot 6.75" from this on the VAL for P1.

As to what they do...

P1 -20% differential
P2 No change
P3 +20% differential
P4 +40% differential

These placements effect both the total diff and intermediate diff, so they modify diff ratios as well.

JustinWi wrote:
A P1 hole decreases differential which reduces flare and dynamic instability, which promotes energy retention. If a ball expends less energy flaring, it will have more to release when it sees friction.

A P3/P4 hole increases the differential which increases flare and dynamic instability, which promotes an earlier release of energy. If a ball is flaring more, it bleeds energy sooner and has a smoother response to friction.

In practice with the equipment of today, you have to get your initial layout close, and then fine tune with a balance hole. A balance hole can help, but not always fix, a bad initial layout. I have seen that a P1 increases backend when a ball checks early, and a P3/P4 placement promotes earlier and smoother, which can end up hooking more overall in some situations.

I also have an alternate position that I use in certain cases. 2" down the VAL from PAP, but only on symmetrics. Sometimes when I want a Sym to roll sooner, I place this hole. The drilled PSA shifts towards the hole and decreases the final drilling angle. P3 and P4 holes in syms give them more of an asymmetric type of roll.

And remember, surface is still the number 1 factor in ball reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:36 pm 

hi I jst purchased a cruel LE and I really dont know how to lay it out it has a 4inch pin 3oz top and is 15lb 4oz I really need a ball to give me good midlane and strong back end . also my speed is 15 to 16 mph med high track dont know any of the other stuff that you may need? any help would be fine also am in no hurry to punch it out till I think you can help me thank you Bob N

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:02 am 

Bob N-
can you go back and start this request as a new topic, as it will attract the attention of JustinWi more easily.

Also, can you include some more information about your game, as it is hard to dial in a drilling without some info on how you throw.

Thanks!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]