MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Raptor "post drill tweaks"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:07 pm 

I had a Raptor drilled a couple of days ago and I have a few questions about what to do now. First off the ball is GREAT, its me that created the problem.

Stats
Rev 325-350
PAP 5 1/8 1/8 up
Rotation aprox. 60
Tilt 13 (I think)
Speed 16 at the pin deck

I drilled the ball 40@3.5*30. I'm coming off a thumb injury so my rev rate is down a little from last year so i was hoping to get a ball to help me a little more. After drilling the ball, I loved the roll. Bowled about 1.5 games but had install a balance hole. I had 1 3/4 oz side weight and 1/2 oz thumb. I was not on league fresh oil but recent oil so I thought I would place a p3 balance hole. Went back out and I could not carry a 10 pin to save my life. Adjusted surface polish, 2x polish, 1000, 2000, box, no help. The ball rolled up on me no matter what I tried. I went to one of last years balls I had, Mutant Pearl 35@5*35 P1.5 and carried well. (I left my QZ2 and Primal home, plus I'm not in mid-season form) I know the two balls are not intended to roll the same but I want to be prepared for adjustments on the Raptor if the oil pattern stays the same.

Now this is what I need help on.
1) Wait for more oil volume
2) Plug balance hole and move to p1
3) Increase drill angle

Look forward to your opinions.
Proud member of MOTIVnation!

Post subject: Re: Raptor "post drill tweaks"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:57 pm 

A 20% increase of a .060" differential will do that. Best bet will be to plug the hole and place it between P1 and P2.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:33 pm 

Justin,
Thanks for your rapid response! Do you have a better layout suggestion I should have used. I'm open to redrilling another and using this one for heavier oil. I bowl on THS synthetics and occasional sport shots.

If I were to plug p3 and go with P1 for more backend. Is it possible to drill the thumb deeper to eliminate the thumb weight to drill a bigger p1 or will this increase the problem I'm having?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:19 am 

Amount of thumb/finger or side is irrelevant to reaction, just make sure it is legal. A small and deep hole is more effective than a large shallow one.

I probably wouldn't have arrived at such a small angle sum for you, seeing as you are rev dominant. My inclination would be 55x40@3.75".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:35 pm 

Always learning!! Like I said it is no fault of the ball only the driller.. me. I underestimated the strength of the Predator Core. I had multiple people come up to me and see what I was throwing, they could see and hear from the other lanes and the bar area this is ball is a beast. Motiv is turning heads.

Let this be a reminder to all. Pro shop operaters are human and we can make a great ball look mediocre if we don't do our homework correctly.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]